Working up a load for .22 Hornet

I've got the Hornady 35gr V-Max's. I've got the Hodgdon H110 powder. I've got new winchester brass. I will be purchasing the CCI small pistol primers(I believe they are the 500). The question is, how many grains would be a safe starting load and what would be the maximum? I've been looking at the load data in several manuals and on Hodgdon's website and I can't find this exact setup, so could anyone give me a hand? Also while I'm asking, would anyone know what the maximum overall loaded length of the cartridge can be so that it will feed in the Ruger clip with no hassles? Thanks everyone.

Hornady's new manual lists 12.3 grains as max, I would start about 11.5 and work up .2 grain at a time. 1.66 is as long as my CZ will handle.

That picture is what X-mas morning would look like in my dreams.
laugh.gif

For me I've had much better success with Lil Gun over H110. Especially as pressure goes, I don't think you get enough Lil Gun in a case to hit dangerous levels.

Of all the small pistol primers I've used, I did have a single piercing with a CCI SP primer. But that is only 1 out of maybe 300-400.

I've also had great success with the 35 grain VMax. My CZ 527 really likes that bullet.

Whatever you do, don't try using Varmint Grenades. The loads I used were keyholing at 50 yards. 6" groups, just bleh!

Just a note about using pistol primers in a break open guns like a continder : there is a very tiny space between the back of the cartridge case and the reciever when the action is closed. Pistol primers because they are softer will leak because of the hornets operating pressure .My opinion is most hornet reloads exceed the recomended pressures.

Back