Decoy dog question

dan158

With a dog,does one have to be set up perfect as without a dog? Will the dog scent help coyotes come in closer as if they get down wind or will they bolt if smell something unnatural as a person and the dog? Thanks. Dan

I'm no expert by any means but have found setup to be the same, I guess it really depends on if your dog is ranging out or not, if it is coyotes will lock on the dog and not really looking for you but if the dog is sitting next to you well then they may see you as well, as far as the dog scent or presence of a dog some coyotes will bolt some will charge right in , I guess it depends on the coyote and what he is driven by? food, mating, territory? there are a bunch of guys that could answer this better than me.

but I do enjoy having the dog on stand and don't think it has hurt many stands

Most videos I have watched concerning decoy dogs, and what I have seen actually hunting with decoy dogs, I don't think the coyote pays attention to anything except the dog. They get locked into the thought of running that dog out of their territory and that is all that is important to them. Of course, your dog will see and smell lots of coyotes you may not know are there and will get them to show up by working them. This seems to work much better from spring to fall when the coyotes are extra protective of their pups and territory.

I try to have a coyote mad when he gets there so i dont have to worry what kind of mood he is in. i setup more with the wind in my face it seems when i take a dog. but overall, besodes the sequence i use, do do everything else about the same.

Another question about owning a decoy dog. Lets say I only call in a couple coyotes a year to where I actually see them to get a shot. Is it worth it to get a dog or will he become a bad coyote hunter as his master over time? If don't call anything in, will he eventually forget and loose what he was trained to do? Thanks. Dan

If you only have a few coyotes to work with, I don't think you will be able to do a good job training a decoy dog. Having him/her not work coyotes on a regular basis can only be a bad thing.

Plus, I run about 50 out of 100 coyotes off when using dogs. So you may only call in 10 coyotes and never get a shot if you have a dog and it runs them off.

That number can be cut down if I only used a dog during denning season, but I take one year round. I could care less about killing a coyote. I am in it for the show, so I am willing to let coyotes walk if they dont like the dog, hoping the next time it may be in a little worse mood.

I wouldn't pay big money for a trained dog for just a few coyotes a year 1/2 the fun and rewards is training the dog yourself, but one question would be How's the dog going to mess up a stand? about the only thing I could think of is if they chase a coyote and don't come back and you have to spend time looking and calling and toning him back. more important to have a well trained dog in obedience sit, come, stay, stop, over it decoying and playing tag with coyotes or tracking, there is a large safety factor invovled.

Hunting mostly at night my dog does more recovery and blood tracking than decoying but if she sees them first she is on them

Originally Posted By: jglynnPlus, I run about 50 out of 100 coyotes off when using dogs. So you may only call in 10 coyotes and never get a shot if you have a dog and it runs them off.

That number can be cut down if I only used a dog during denning season, but I take one year round. I could care less about killing a coyote. I am in it for the show, so I am willing to let coyotes walk if they dont like the dog, hoping the next time it may be in a little worse mood.

Same for us! I take Tucker every time. But then I take her with me every time no matter where I go or what I am doing. Just no fun without her.

The Decoy Dog part gets a lot easier starting about now. Get the dog out there and have some fun. Remember what a very,very successful coyote hunter once said, "it's Checkers."

Back