What's your favorite varmint rifle?

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEI like my collection of Sakos and Dakota Predators. Grizz

I bet you do, Grizz! I'd like to try one of the Dakota Predators sometime. Nice looking rifles!

Nesika Model K, six hart 1.25" Straights (6 BR, 6-284, 22-6mm, 243 WSSM, 223 WSSM, 300 WSM)
2 Bolts, Nightforce 12x42x56, Jewel 1.5 oz trigger, McMillan BR Stock

Prairie Dogs 10,000+ and counting
Longest Shot 1,043 yds. PD, 1181 yds. brain dead coyote that walked into the PD town I was working.
BR Pivot Table mounted on a Custom Built Deck Lid for the Pickup, the whole bed under for storage and ice chests, etc.

Sorry I can't post an image, maybe I can get a URL working and post from there soon.

Sounds like a heck of a setup ratslayer72. Can't wait to see that
thumbup.gif

CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger is my current favorite.

Close second is my Marlin 917V

Third one from the top.

I did just get another CZ 527 Varmint though, in 17 Hornet. That might become the new favorite.

As far as varmint calibers go, I would have to say I like the 22-250 about as well as anything. Plenty of gun to take to the field - always. Accurate - fast - and very hard hitting. But as for one gun that represents "the total package" for me personally, it would be my '79 Rem 700 BDL in .222 rem with its little Leupold 3-9 fine duplex scope.

The 222 is still the most accurate round I have ever fired. Verifying my load with 40 V-MAX's the other week again for example -- before loading up in bulk for this coming season, and with just that 9x scope to work with, I put 5 shots on target at 100 yards into about .410" ctc. If you take out my one "flier", I had 4 bullets that went into a hole measuring .225" ctc. And conditions weren't 100% perfect either! Had a little light wind. But this rifle has killed a TON of critters for me since I bought it used, with this scope, for $350 back while I was still in high school (I'm now 48). It looks like a gun ought to look. It's high gloss stock is tougher than any other wood guns I've bought since. So for weight, handling, durability, extreme accuracy, efficiency & reloder friendliness, while still delivering plenty of knock-down power at the ranges I typically hunt, well... my vote for favorite varmint rifle goes to the 222 Remington. Long live the Triple Duece!

That's a really tough question. I like the 6's for long range shooting. If I'm in a dog town they heat the barrel too fast and I really,really like my .223's. If I'm just going for a walk about and I don't want to tote a heavy barreled rifle with a ton of scope I like my Ruger Compact in .260. It is big enough to take on anything we grow around here and sweet to shoot. Only thing is it gets hot fast.

I got a few I really like and don't necessarily have a favorite.

Cooper 38 in 20 VarTarg.
file_zps6b8636cf.jpg

Here's a Dakota Predator in 17 Fireball.
file_zps88698902.jpg

Only have two varmint rifles to choose from so I would have to say 22-250 savage but I do have a 22 mag savage on the way. I hope it is as accurate as my 22-250

Back