Another first bird down..and some greatness while scouting....

Passmore

Well since she didn't get to shoot one last weekend it was on again this morn. I am very proud of Linda for keeping her composure yet again when a shot with her bow wasn't working out the way we had planned. Right off the roost somehow we were set up between the hens and the strutters...4 hens flew down first to our left and I take a look out of the blind and here come 2 longbeards doin the t-rex wobble down the field edge. They roll by the blind at about 6 ft and straight to the jake decoy they go. Never coming out of full strut she was nervous about a head shot. Slowly letting down, grabs the Maxus and puts the hammer down on the bigger of the 2 toms! Done deal before 6:40. Hopefully one with her bow in the evening or tomorrow morn.

Passmore

Last edited:
Gah, I am so jealous. The wind out here has been insane for the past week (gusts up to 50 mph) and I've only gotten to get out one evening for an ambush stand . . . someone else was hunting the route into another tree in the property and missed A LOT from the sound of it and spooked up all the birds; only had one hen come screaming past me to get back, and I think the rest of the flock took a route to the tree about 100 yards behind me.

Big congrats to Linda and hopefully I'll be another lady posting her first bird later this week if the weather cooperates.

Congratulations, nice tom. I'm curious, why a head shot? I'd be nervous also. I stick them in the body trying to get a wing. This year I hit mine in the butt as it came from behind me and was strutting. It went maybe 5 feet and fell over dead. Again, just curious.

Because she was shooting Toxic Tom Bomb. If shooting reg broadheads we shoot broadside through both legs when possible. Can't run=can't fly and they usually bleed out right there. I shoot body if directly at or away from me but as a last option.

Yeah they're new and I REALLY liked what the Toxic did on the 3 does I shot this year so I thought give the Tom Bombs a try. Through shot testing I do not recommend them past 10 yards unless you can find a formula to get them to group better past that. I'm still a Magnus fan.

Back