Archery/Bowhunting Myths you'd like debunked?

Varminterror

I'm watching Mythbusters on the plane today, and it got me thinking about how I would test, or at least WOULD LIKE TO TEST different archery myths, products, rumors, etc.

Seems like there are always questions about different arrow weights and speeds, different products, etc etc that could be pretty easily tested if someone put their mind to it.

So what have you heard or seen over the years that you'd like to see put to the test someday?

Some of the things that I've always wanted to thoroughly and properly tested are:

FOC effect on flight and penetration
Arrow stiffness vs penetration
Momentum/arrow weight vs Energy for penetration
Starflight FOB's
NAAP (not NAP mind you!) Slide Hammers

There are common perceptions about some of these, and some common conflicting view points. Given time, money, and a controlled experimental environment, I'd love to see some of these 'myths' either proven or debunked!

Any others that come to mind for you guys?

Originally Posted By: borkon can a Rage head "really" blow through the shoulder of a deer lol.

Not sure how a guy could test that without nailing a couple deer to the barn.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Razor sharp/ready to use right out of the packaging!Many are advertized as such but they're not.

Hmm... So how would one go about that?

Off the cuff, at least for a cut on contact point, I'm thinking about a point down drop test into a target (or better yet, ballistics gel!). Take a point right out of the package, drop an arrow straight down from higher and higher heights until it penetrates, then sharpen another one, and do the same test. It should penetrate from a shorter height, or penetrate more from the 'baseline' height, right?

How would a guy do it for a punch cut, or a mechanical?

I've tried shaving some hair off the back of my hand with several brands.The original Muzzy heads were the worst but that was many years back.Rocky heads were hit/miss.Sharpest of the "pre-sharpened" bunch was the Thunderhead 125 3 blade.After that I switched to Zwickey Eskimos and sharpening myself.I still use the old shaving thing to check I've got them right.

Paper tuning worth the effort or not? Hear arguments both ways. Getting an arrow to fly straight at 10 feet does not mean it stays straight....

I lost a nice buck this season with a shoulder blade shot from a Rage. I got half penetration and tracked him for over 12 hours. I found my arrow and one of the blades was bent but other than that it was alright. So they can punch through a shoulder blade but not with (immediately) lethal penetration at least in my case. And I am shooting a 65# 300fps IBO bow. I am gonna try Swhackers next season.

I used to shoot one of the earlier expandable broad heads it was called a punch cutter. It weighed 65g and I shot it out of a Proline Bow "tsunami" at 70 lbs. I Punched through both shoulders on a doe at 15yds. This was on the ground out of a ground blind. I was shooting a beamen arrow with an adaptor that had a broader circumference than the arrow. I think I have the shoulders still. If I Find them I'll get a picture out for ya.

Sorry fellas, been away for a short bit. Sounds like there are a few things kicking around

Originally Posted By: elksPaper tuning worth the effort or not? Hear arguments both ways. Getting an arrow to fly straight at 10 feet does not mean it stays straight....

So paper tuning vs. not paper tuning. How would you work out this test? I paper tune everything (start at bare shaft and nock tuning, then fletch and paper tune). What would the "non-paper tuned" sample be? Intentionally kick a rest out of alignment? I can think of a few tests I'd do, long range grouping, maybe even out of a hooter shooter, and speed down-range come to mind, anything else that would come into play for this test?

I would absolutely love to watch them test some the most popular, most technologically advanced scent control/containment products on the market. Scent blocker, Scent lok and ozonics to name a few.....

How would you do it Fish?

I've had a lot of conversations with guys about scent control technology, and having access to a GCMS, I could do a lot of testing in this arena, but the problem I have is that I'm not 100% convinced that it would prove anything, as I'm not convinced that their results correlate to scent containment or eliminating potential to get busted.

Pretty hard to ask a deer or coyote: does this smell funny to you?

I HAVE however seen a Mythbusters episode where a Jaime wears scent blocker hunting clothes and sprays down (attempting to debunk jail breaking myths). The bloodhound tracking him follows his trail at a run. Jaime thinks he has the hound tricked by running down a creek in knee deep water, and doubling back in the stream. The dog never gets to his "turn around" point, and winds him sitting in a tree. Didn't seem like the covers did much good for him.

I've a burning question that's been on my mind for over a year; more of a crossbow question.

As you get into the really powerful new CB offerings, would the typical Joe Hunter be in for an accuracy trade off? Take a 300fps & a 400fps CB, set targets at 50yd. The 400fps rated CB should shoot flater at 50yd, but most bolt drop could be anticipated. Does the 400fps shoot a larger spread, than the more mild mannered 300fps CB, keeping other variables constant? (I'm actually thinking shooting coons and doubt the string noise is a great factor.)
Scorpyd Crossbows
Myth: The supreme CBs sound as if they'd really reach out there and 'touch' your game target, but does it work out that way in practice?
I would think this would be an easy review for someone with experience, just haven't seen the info in my forum readings.

Last edited:
A lot of what you are asking about has been researched and aswered by Dr. Ashby. His research, started in 1985, is loaded with excellent data. If you decide to seriously study his data, plan on doing some comprehensive reading for a week or so. It is well worth it. Many have tried to debunk Ashby. Most who have had an ax to grind or were peddling a product that did not look good in the light of his data!

This data appears in several places on the net. The link I'm providing is to a manufacturers site. Ashby has no connection to the product.

Some will be overwhelmed by the amount of data and give up before they are started, some will be immediately turned of by the fact that Ashby used trad equipment. Be assured that these studies are about arrows! His research applies to any arrow launched from any type of bow!

Ashby reports

The Ashby report was an excellent read. You're correct in that it's about arrows, ability to kill/penetrate. I scan read some, but, missed any reference to whether high speed bows had an accuracy trade off.

So, I'm still interested in knowledgeable archers reporting on accuracy trade offs. Right now I leaning toward a $1400 reverse crossbow, but. . . hate to spend that much $$ to find out whether I'm trading away accuaracy for speed.

Ashby did no accuracy tests. Speed flattens trajectory so can result in better accuracy as a result of range estimation being less critical. Other than that, don't see that there would be an effect. Not a CB guy, but there could be recoil issues as bolt speed is increased.

Back