Baiting

I put out a pile more of fish heads ect.and no crows are eating it.This has never happened before.I'm sure its because the woods are full of winter kill deer.another 16 inches fell last friday.Worst winter in over 130 years.

have not seen coyotes in so long i have to keep looking on this website to remind me what they look like. yotes have been around... the barking and yapping at night behind the house lets me know they are still here. also had a healthy looking fox around ... pass on him.. out of season. i tried moving my bait pile about 100 feet to see if that will stir up some activity. have not been out calling on the weekends the weather has been to windy.... maybe this weekend .. it would be nice to get out of the house for a while

anybody elses activity picking up?

Originally Posted By: dog drillerhave not seen coyotes in so long i have to keep looking on this website to remind me what they look like.

Hey, I know how that feels. My last coyote visit was January 21, only the third visit for the entire fall / winter / spring season.

I finally had a coyote visit on the early morning of the 11th. The coyote didn't return last night, but a gray fox did.
Seems when a yote visits, it's a one-night-stand and doesn't return for months. My last coyote visit was January 21.

This one appears to have a rather large belly. I'm wondering if it's a female with pups.

Here's the video. Click the photo to see the video.

I don't think that's a female.When he turns i think you can see his woohoo.I have a picture of a pregnant wolf and you can really see her [beeep] easy.Either way at least you have a coyote.

6mm06, same here regarding yotes showing once and then gone for who knows when. Finally got one the other day, 34 lb. male at 189 yds. He was very skiddish. Also seen one 8:30 Sun. am on my way to church. It ran across the road in front of me,I stopped the vehicle and watched it cross the field. At one point it stopped and looked at me. No gun of course. Dreamer

been busy here to bad nothing to show for it-- my red fox friend is just about a daily customer on the bait fun to watch-- this morning crows and the fox were going at it out in field 200 yards before the bait --crows had something in field and fox stole it crows dive bombed him and fox was jumping in air for them to get away..... funny stuff. yesterday late saw the fox on the bait..i went out back later and there was another set of tracks --bigger--made during the day ..we had fresh snow the night before so it was a no brainer they were made during the day --coyote. picked up a 1500# angus cow yesterday she died having her calf --cast her withers. going to set this up in special place in the woods. turkey season is coming and also getting warm don't want it near the house. got a logger who can drag it where I want it -- been coyotes coming through this spot so maybe this will make them stay longer --open cutover hardwood with a perch above with a general gentle cross wind ---i hope this works--- nothing else has so far....eeerrrr.

Dogdriller, watching fox and other animals is a lot of enjoyment. I'll bet that was a real treat to see the fox and crows having it out. I have had a gray fox as a regular visitor.

Checked the camera and had pictures of coon,bobcat and was really surprised to see a gray fox as there were none around all winter and there is still 15 in. of snow on the ground.Just put out a huge pile of stuff that had been buried in a blizzard.Cant wait to see what shows up.I expect bears will clean it up.Still have a whole deer that never got touched all winter.

Last night I stayed at the cabin and managed to get some video of a gray fox. I used the home-made night vision outfit and the LLTL-001 illuminator. The fox initially was at the 60 yard bait site, then left and ended up somewhere around 120+ yards, guessing. Daytime scope was set at 6X.

Click the photo to see the video.

Very good work as usual 6mm. I had this one at the bait Sunday night, but he was really skittish and didn't actually eat anything. He hasn't returned so far this week. At least if he has the cameras didn't get a shot of him.

Won't pass as the world's most handsome coyote with the pretty winter coat shed out.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: dog drillerhave not seen coyotes in so long i have to keep looking on this website to remind me what they look like.

Hey, I know how that feels. My last coyote visit was January 21, only the third visit for the entire fall / winter / spring season.

I thought we were the only ones here in N Florida. We see tracks on both our deer leases and in the National Forest but trying to see a coyote by any means seems futile. Vanished, Vamoosed, Vaporized... Must be black magic...
frown.gif

What's wierd is the coyote spottings are similar to the deer spottings and they've both been on the decline for 4-5 years but it's only been official news the last 2-3 years.

Plenty of hogs though and their populations rebound so quickly it's almost like you hate to shoot one for fear that 10 will pop up in its place.... LOL

$bob$

Well, if all continues on this path, we may have to resort to pig hunting. Problem is we don't have many here. But, I imagine hunting them is a barrel of fun.

I had a coyote visit three nights ago and got some bait, but it hasn't been back since. That makes the 5th visit to my site since last September 24th. They are one-nighters and then are off an gone until who knows when. Can't hunt them that way.

Maybe I'm just too good-looking for my shoes, maybe that's the problem.

On the other hand, a neighbor is trapping them and has caught several this winter. Maybe that's the reason I'm not seeing many.

UPDATE: Early this morning, 5-8-14, I had a female coyote visit. She looks skinny and young.

Click the photos below to see the video.

I also had two gobblers pass by yesterday evening. Turkey season is still open. Hmmmm!

UPDATE AGAIN: This morning (May 21) the coyote showed up during daylight hours, something before 7:00 AM.
She is becoming a regular visitor now. If I thought she has pups I wouldn't attempt to shoot her, but
I don't see any evidence from the video that she does. What do you guys think?

Here's the video.

coyotes are still around ... scat says so. 6mmo6 you maybe right about hogs... no hogs here yet but have been reported 120 miles from here and we also have a farm about 20 -30 miles from here with pigs that have been known to get out. been told they can go feral in 2-3 years that could be some good eating from what I hear. I have a friend in OK that hunts them there they are tough critters. if they move in it can't make coyote hunting any worse than it was this year.

Back