Pup is showing all the right signs so far!

batman1262

I have been wanting to get a decoy dog for a loooong time. This winter I decided to pull a trigger and bought an Australian Shep pup and start training. He is only 4 months old and taken all of his obiedience lessons well. I was wondering what kind of prey drive he would have. Well I started with a game of retrieving a ball, I used to train retrievers, and he loves this game! Then to the coyote tail tied to fishing pole, this really turnedd his crank! Other day we were out playing frisbee and he chased the frisbee to edge of woods and suddenly went banannas! He left the frisbee and brought me a shrew! Then went back and brought 2 more! Other day he got a good scolding for an accident of dribbling pee in the floor, I threw him outside after a mean scolding and he was scratching at the door in less than 2 mins. I opened the door fixing to realy tear his tail up and he is standing there with another shrew, kinda grinning like, look what i brought for a peace offering boss! It worked! I told him how good a boy he was and let him back in!

He wanted nothing to do with his first encounter with a chicken snake. Ran up to it like a ball of fire, got a nose full of scent and acted like you hit him in the face with a bag of $heet! turned around and found something else to play with. Go figure, I wanted him to grab and shake the stuffings out of it! Ugh!

I was thinking bout maybe buying a few mice and using them in a controled enviroment to teach him to wait, then release with a skit'em. Any thoutghts? Maybe graduated from that to small rabbit, then to a possum, then young coon. All over time, and as his prey drive comes up. Any thoughts?

One more thing then I will shut up. Was out cleaning my truck, Merle, my pup, was milling around in yard. Nieghbors let thier 2 dogs out to pee and such. Merle locked in, as he set there he watched thier every move, as they mover toward our yard he laid down in a pounce stance. As soon as the 2 Shitzues (sp?) hit my grass he was off to the races. As luck would have it he had his collar on. He ran up to the male and started posturing but in a wierd playful way. He ran 2 circles around them both barking like a fool and I toned him to come to me. He stopped his circle and reluctantly came back, which started the chase game and he came all the way to heel. GOOOOD BOOOYYYY!!

Would love to here any training tips or tricks and replies to my pre planned ideas.

Aussie's are smart dogs. They'll learn whatever you have planned for them in short order. Keep training him to come on command and don't get in a big hurry to get him on coyotes. He's just a pup. You have plenty of time. Take him out coyote hunting with you and let him see what it's all about. Once coyotes start coming to the call and you shoot a few, he'll have the "why are we here" figured out and after that it's exposing him to the opportunities. It can be frusgtrating at times but eventually they figure it out.

I would say keep on him about his obedience. And another would be to try and catch a couple yotes in traps and let the pup encounter that.

Back