Protection in the field

Originally Posted By: RePete
If I did carry a handgun, at what point should I throw away the loaded shotgun or rifle that's already in my hands and grab for the handgun?

+1000 A pistol is nearly worthless beside a long gun.

In the situation you don't have a long gun, anything is better than a stick. Get a gun you will carry & shoot enough to become competant with it. If all you have is a .22 short, shoot your buddy in the knee & you can get away with only a brisk walk
thumbup.gif

Quote:+1000 A pistol is nearly worthless beside a long gun.

Well, this past fall I shot a 200 pound boar in the neck with a .223 55gr. V-max from a hundred yards out. He hit the ground then got back up and crawled into a very thick cedar thicket.

When I got close I could hear him breathing and popping his jaws in anger. I slung the rifle across my back and grabbed the G20. Spitting distance from a POed hog in thick cover is no place to be with a bolt action .223! I circled the thicket and when he tried to escape across a opening about 10 yards away I put two 175gr. Silver Tips into his shoulder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: justin10mmWell, this past fall I shot a 200 pound boar in the neck with a .223 55gr. V-max from a hundred yards out.

There's your problem right there.
Matter of fact, I can't believe that you somehow think a 55gr V-Max is Hog medicine.
You don't need a handgun, you need a proper Hog round.

Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: NdIndyI carried a 23 on duty, first pistol i ever bought and the only one i wont sell.

But, my 460 rowland is about the same size with a bigger boom.

20130922_180312_zps34f913e2.jpg

That is a sweet rig there. I bet it is really snappy without the muzzle break?

Its pretty darn snappy WITH the brake
smile.gif
. At least with my full bore loads. It gets pleasant with plinker loads, total pussycat with acp rounds. It just doesnt function well with them.

Back