What the best rifle for predator hunting?

Cleo

So I am getting rid of my big game hounds and am looking at getting more into predator hunting. I have called some coyotes in over the years and want to get a little more serious. Whats the best rifle for coyote hunting? I see a lot of guys shooting AR's on the videos. I am also thinking about getting a decoy dog .

The best rifle is the one you can shoot the best and are most comfortable with. If you want a new rifle or AR I would go 204 223 22-250 or 243.

Personally I don't think there is such thing as a Best or Perfect Rifle for Predator Hunting......to me there's more of a Which Rifle fits Your type of Hunting,the Size of Predators You want to Hunt,Terrain,Your Goals and what You Prefere to use....even Ammo availability will have an effect on what You can or should choose?If You Reload Your own bullets then Your choices widen and Your not as limited.
wink.gif

I like the speed,range and accuracy of the Ruger .204 Caliber,the availability of Ammo of the .223 Caliber to name just a few that first come to mind!

Last edited:
I currently shoot a cz527 .223 but I see a ton of guys shooting ar's and I am trying to get set up nice to put a dent in our coyote population. I also want a decoy dog but I am finding they are hard to come by.

I will always be a bolt action man.Less likely to freeze below zero.I like the 17 rem. best than 222 22 hornet and last 22-250 oh ya and 243.For fur 17 rem. is my favorite.

There will be about as many different answers as there are responses. Predator hunting is different from place to place so your ideal rifle/caliber needs to match your requirements. For me I prefer an AR for fast follow up shots without needing to cycle a bolt. My caliber of choice would be .223 for a number of reasons but I recently acquired a 6x45 which may be technically better but it requires reloading capability. I have also used bolt rifles in .223 and 22-250 and they work well too but day in and day out I prefer an AR. They are reliable, accurate, tough, modular, easily smithed, easily broken down for cleaning, and fast. They are not as ergonomic as a sleek bolt rifle, but for me their other positive characteristics outweigh ergonomics.

Im pretty sure mine is the BEST rifle....lol. but dont worry. You'll find one that you feel the same way about. .243 with a 55g ullet is [beeep] on a dog. And can also double as a great deer gun with a larger bullet. And as im finding out with some practice....a long range target shooter. What ever u decide, have fun with it.

I like a Browning, short bolt throw, removeable magazine. I tried a rifle in the store once, when I cycled the bolt my thumb hit the scope, put on gloves or mittens it might really hinder the bolt action. The top feed rifle magazines are the worse, you have to put bullets in and get them back out every time you start or end a hunt. I would rather just remove a magazine and have it ready to put in when needed. A .204 with a medium weight bullet, 35 Berger is what I like

Are you wanting to keep the fur or not is the first question. IF you do I would go with any 17 center fire,204 or 223 they seem to do the least pelt damage. If you just want them dead then any thing you can shoot accurately will work,I've shot a couple with my 300 Win Mag and it kills them but leaves a lot to be desired if you want to skin them.

Last edited:
Some things to consider in your quest:

Your terrain and distance of travel on foot is a consideration that you need to consider...If hilly with more than gradual inclines, weight and portability is a major concern..The AR platform is fairly light, but hard to carry comfortably if both hands are needed for stability for ascending or descending steep slopes...

Heavier 'varmint' type configurations get pretty old if having to travel very far between setups..but are great for longer distance shooting...If you are normally in brushy or timbered areas, the shorter configurations are much easier to maneuver for rapid, close up shots..

The AR platform is not for everyone, so if you get a chance to try one out before purchase, it will be best, especially if you have a long time history with a bolt action..

The .223 caliber provides a wide range of bullet/cartridge types and weights..The ammunition is generally easier to find under normal conditions if you don't reload...If you do reload, the components are generally available...Other calibers may be more spotty, depending on your specific locale...If most of your shots will be at 250 yards or more, then you might consider the .243 caliber as a first choice and a .204 as a second...The .243 will give you the benefit of a heavier bullet with more terminal energy...There is little ballistic difference in trajectory and energy between the .204 and the 22-250 at longer distances, but the .204 has less recoil allowing for easier observation of your hits...

Being that you are in Idaho, I would suggest something that you are comfortable, and something that would be fur Friendly.

As I see it, you could get something and pay for itself after 10-15 coyotes. (based on what they get for pelts up in Idaho. 223, or 22-250.

Since you already have a CZ .223 your search is largely academic. Choose a proper bullet/load combination and a better calling rifle would be hard to find. See my avatar.

I like a 243. I'm thinking of getting a 17-204 or 17 remington. Those will cover the basis for me, a heavy 243 for long shots and a light weight 17 for lots of walking.

Back