Stupid Gun Law = Easy Fix: AR-15s Legal Again in NYS After Minor Cosmetic Mods

Crimson Raptor

This is why people who don't know firearms have no business writing firearms legislation. Idiots.

You have to see the photo!

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/370...arles-c-w-cooke

Quote:When the opponents of “assault weapon” bans argue that it is preposterous for the state to ban firearms based on the way they look, they really mean it. It is. The rifle in the photograph above is no more or less powerful than the one that has been banned; it just looks different. And, because the SAFE Act was, typically, interested only in cosmetic questions, a simple change to its aesthetic rendered the rifle legal once more. As Clash Daily’s Jonathan S. explains:

Prototypes for the newly designed AR-15 are hitting gun shops across New York, as gun shops and machinists have designed a rifle that complies with the anti-gun law. At least one gun shop has received a letter from state police saying that the new AR-15 style rifles should be legal in the state as long as they don’t have some of the features that the law prohibits.

The new gun law bans all kinds of semi-automatic rifles that have been labeled with the “assault” term even though these are very common rifles and are no more powerful than the average hunting rifle.

Features like adjustable stocks, pistols grips, and flash suppressors has been deemed to be unlawful on these rifles, mainly because it makes them LOOK mean. And we all know how little these anti-gun lawmakers really know about guns, as the “Ghost gun” video illustrated.

The new AR-15 design did away with the pistol grip which gives the gun an odd paintball gun look. The stock is fixed as well, but at least New Yorkers now have a legal way to own an AR-15, a fact which is still driving some gun control activists mad.

Reading this story, one would almost conclude that legislation that deals only with the superficial and the irrelevant is inherently silly. Curious.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

Oh, and if you, or someone you know that hunts or likes to shoot and votes Democrat, and tries to tell you that Democrats don't want to ban guns..
Tell them to read the latest vote on the UN small arms ban and then try and tell me that it's not what they are trying to do.

If it was the only way I could own one legally, it's not that bad...As stated, initially, it looks like a paintball rifle, but if it can get the job done, more power to the designers...

Originally Posted By: tnshootistI would be humiliated to be shot with that thing.

What's the problem?? It's not like an AR is something sexy to look at to start with - it's an inanimate object, and when we start saying we like how they look, we are adding emotion to an inanimate object - just like the liberals.

Looks good, but I think it would have been better with a nice walnut stock. LOL
flhrx1.png

I agree dogcatcher, add a thumb hole to the walnut stock, I would like to do that to my 6mmar with the side charge

Last edited:
On a semi Auto centerfire rifle here, the thumbhole can be considered a "Grip" same as what they banned in the beginning.
Thus the invention of the Monsterman grip. "It was fugly too"

A walnut stock, no thumbhole needed, a nicely made stock using the receiver and barrel assembly and the end result would be something that looks great and would have real class to it. Making it look like a military weapon doesn't make it any better than the shooter can shoot. I had enough of that look when I was in the Army, I prefer to shoot nice looking weapons if I wanted to shoot ugly military style guns, I could have stayed in the Army.

After WWII and Korea former GI's bought millions of former military issue weapons, and turned them into nice sporterized hunting weapons. After Vietnam, it seems the military wannabes surfaced and started a new trend, turning to military weapons for sporting purposes. I have no clue as to the fixation so many American males have with the military weapon look, if I was guessing I would blame it on the wannabes, those that wanted to believe they could serve, but where to chicken stuff to go. According to a report 8 out of 10 Vietnam veterans are wannabes, so that my reasoning is a good theory.

Thumbhole stock is also a no-go for semi auto with detatchable mags. This is what I did to make it a fixed mag until this stupid law gets booted. Bought a mag catch and drilled and tapped it so I could install a machine screw. If ya read the webbsight about the safe act it reads mag must be made permanent but the law as written does not specify permant.

Back