22/6mm

OK243

Anyone load for one of these? It has an 8 twist barrel and plan to shoot the 80.5 grain Berger or 90 grain Berger if I could get away with it. I have H4350 and Retumbo powder on hand but am not opposed to trying others.

Bump to the top, I had one for a time in the 90's. Would love to hear how yours will shoot with the new bullets out now. May have to look into another. Tagged.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERBump to the top, I had one for a time in the 90's. Would love to hear how yours will shoot with the new bullets out now. May have to look into another. Tagged.

What bullets and barrel twist did you have?

I had a max load in my gun 22-243Win with 80gr VLD's using Retumbo and Winchester mag primers. It was 46.5gr and I remember others were able to go higher but that was it for my gun. EDIT- I'd start lower than this even though you have a bigger case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Displayed Name I had a max load in my gun 22-243Win with 80gr VLD's using Retumbo and Winchester mag primers. It was 46.5gr and I remember others were able to go higher but that was it for my gun. That should get you safely started in the 22-6mm.

Do you recall the speeds you were shooting at that powder charge?

Yeah that was somewhere in the 3375fps range and I have a 28in barrel. My barrel doesn't seem to be as fast as others with the same components. I am at sea level not sure how much it all figures in.

I changed to H4831sc really only cause I got a good deal on 7lbs of it. Load with it is 44.5gr Federal Gold match primers around 3350fps.

Both loads shot great. I still have H1000 and Re22 here to try but 3350fps is fine, no biggey I'm turning turrets anyway way out there. I bet there is a load for this barrel that will safely shoot the 80's at 3450-3500fps but think I'm done searching. However I am tempted by the guys shooting Reloder 17 and 75gr Amax's at 3700fps.

Retumbo is what I am using in a 22-243AI shooting 80gr AMAX out of a 26 1/2" 8 twist Brux barrel. It will do 3530 MV expect you can get the same out of your rig.

Kelly

yes I'd been meaning to reword my post… on my load should safely get you started. I just meant the info will give you something to extrapolate from. Safe shooting!

Kelly witnessed my 22-243 AI shooting 47.5 grains of retumbo with a 80 grain Berger VLD and it averaged 3500 fps. So that should be close for you...........please be aware that was "mild" in my unit so YMMV.

ld

I used 46gr R22 under both the Win 64pp and 75 Swift bullet in an 8" Lilja barrel, .224 TTH, in a Kimber 84M. I killed exactly one hog with it and the 75 Swift and shot a bunch of rocks and prairie dogs with the 64PP. I put the 7mm08 barrel back on to sell the rifle and still have the Lilja barrel, it was made in the light Kimber 84M factory contour. Trade material! ha I found I used my 22-250 Ackley, 9" twist and the Hornady 68 match more. That Hornady 68 Match is great on coyotes too! Good luck to you Pard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OK243Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERBump to the top, I had one for a time in the 90's. Would love to hear how yours will shoot with the new bullets out now. May have to look into another. Tagged.

What bullets and barrel twist did you have?

Over 25 years ago, I was so unimpressed that I tried to forget about it and had till you brought it up. Hopping to see some good results here. I still have 1 round left and love the way it looks but hated the way it shot.
smile.gif

Back