Ohio Roll Call

Originally Posted By: BrokenSVTCurious where in Ohio some of you are located. I'm in Adams County, hour East of Cincy.

I live in Greenville, OH. Just leased a farm in Adams County.

Going to be doing some turkey hunting down there soon!

I can't wait!

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnFound some fresh bait so I think I'm gonna try some baiting. I'm planning on just stepping out of the shop and layin the smack down @ bout 150 yards. Already have a shooting lane cleared. I'll be updating you prolly first of the week. find this hard to believe, but nothing but buzzards on the bait.

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnHeadin out to Galia County for a Saturday night hunt with family. They've had luck lately, calledi in some coyotes and a couple cats too. After some meets, greets and eats, we headed out bout 830p. First place was called the "high plains" and it was exactly that nice rolling pasture out a ridge top with timber and thickets on the hill sides over looking the mighty Ohio River. It looked to be a grat place but lets say the wind was less than ideal, let's say gale force. Made a couple stands there but no takers. After the high plains headed back north to some "down on the farm" property. Cattle rolling pasture, timber on the hill sides. We set with some timber at our backs over lookin some pasture, ditch line and a little patch of pine. With a little serenade I could hear the leaves turning up on our back side. I couldn't see a heat signature with the ps32 thru the timber, but something's back there. I turn on the PD3 and could see a yote trotting out the adjacent hillside thru the timber. He went in the pine patch and that was it...lost him. O'well... 80 mile road trip I'm not comin home empty, stopping in at the original Bob Evans down on the farm restaurant for some lunch.

Nothing going here. Too busy working and working on my little toy "Herpie the love bug"! Lol. Friends have been seeing coyotes. A lot of folks hitting the woods hunting sheds and mushrooms now.

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrNothing going here. Too busy working and working on my little toy "Herpie the love bug"! Lol. Friends have been seeing coyotes. A lot of folks hitting the woods hunting sheds and mushrooms now. Funny u say people have been seeing coyotes. Dad just called a few hrs ago and said have you and Oakley been hunting behind the house lately. I said no..why? 1 just walked up the fence row and went threw the gate as I was walking towards the shop ( approx 35-40 yard shot from where dad was standing) Now it's getting pretty bad when I usually hunt 2-3 nights a week and the darn things invade my backyard at 2pm in the afternoon. O'well

Made a stand at a local place we call the Honey Hole, it has always produced coyotes for us, but the last couple times hasn't been so productive. The farmer has cattle pasture with a large adjoining field with CRP grass, and this stuff is thick. I have in the past call several out of the CRP grass in to the pasture fields but the last 2 stands the coyotes won't come out of it. So we decided to sit in it, not sure if that was a good idea either. After about 5 minutes of my sweet talking thru the Foxpro, I had 1 literally run past darn near an arm length away. I had a good shooting alley up a fence row, but the critter stayed right in the thick of it. Wanna talk about needing a diaper bag and some wet wipes.... Wow! It was so think I couldnt see the coyote with my ps32. So the nxt time it's gonna be daytime/shotgunnin that place. This has been the 2nd time at this place I've had coyotes come within feet of me and not b able to get a shot. Went behind the house last night. Had a couple neighbor packs yip and yell back but nothing produced after sitting for about an hr.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loggers InnMade a stand at a local place we call the Honey Hole, it has always produced coyotes for us, but the last couple times hasn't been so productive. The farmer has cattle pasture with a large adjoining field with CRP grass, and this stuff is thick. I have in the past call several out of the CRP grass in to the pasture fields but the last 2 stands the coyotes won't come out of it. So we decided to sit in it, not sure if that was a good idea either. After about 5 minutes of my sweet talking thru the Foxpro, I had 1 literally run past darn near an arm length away. I had a good shooting alley up a fence row, but the critter stayed right in the thick of it. Wanna talk about needing a diaper bag and some wet wipes.... Wow! It was so think I couldnt see the coyote with my ps32. So the nxt time it's gonna be daytime/shotgunnin that place. This has been the 2nd time at this place I've had coyotes come within feet of me and not b able to get a shot. Went behind the house last night. Had a couple neighbor packs yip and yell back but nothing produced after sitting for about an hr.

Sounds like you had a good time!

Originally Posted By: rletts77Originally Posted By: Loggers InnMade a stand at a local place we call the Honey Hole, it has always produced coyotes for us, but the last couple times hasn't been so productive. The farmer has cattle pasture with a large adjoining field with CRP grass, and this stuff is thick. I have in the past call several out of the CRP grass in to the pasture fields but the last 2 stands the coyotes won't come out of it. So we decided to sit in it, not sure if that was a good idea either. After about 5 minutes of my sweet talking thru the Foxpro, I had 1 literally run past darn near an arm length away. I had a good shooting alley up a fence row, but the critter stayed right in the thick of it. Wanna talk about needing a diaper bag and some wet wipes.... Wow! It was so think I couldnt see the coyote with my ps32. So the nxt time it's gonna be daytime/shotgunnin that place. This has been the 2nd time at this place I've had coyotes come within feet of me and not b able to get a shot. Went behind the house last night. Had a couple neighbor packs yip and yell back but nothing produced after sitting for about an hr.

Sounds like you had a good time! We laffed our butts off on the ride home. I think we both said a few choice words when that critter took off. I thought the BOOGIE MAN had both of us.

I am completely new to predator calling, picking up my first foxpro wildfire2 this weekend. I plan on using my groundhog guns and savage model ten in 22-250 and a rock river arms ar and my remington 1100, so for gear I think I am set. I have access to a couple farms and some public land so all set there. I am looking forward to this fall quite a bit. Plan on trying coon calling coyote and fox this fall, crow this summer. I am sure I will have a ton of questions this summer and fall. My first question is not about predator calling, I was reading on the odnr web site and they had a map for confirmed sightings for wild boar. Anyone here ever shot or even sighted a free ranging wild boar. I am having a hard time believing that free ranging wild boar are in the state. I have hunted quite a few places here aep land,salt fork, woodbury and hocking hills although hocking has been about five years ago. So I guess I am a skeptic,but would love to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks
Jay

Originally Posted By: Squirrel22I am completely new to predator calling, picking up my first foxpro wildfire2 this weekend. I plan on using my groundhog guns and savage model ten in 22-250 and a rock river arms ar and my remington 1100, so for gear I think I am set. I have access to a couple farms and some public land so all set there. I am looking forward to this fall quite a bit. Plan on trying coon calling coyote and fox this fall, crow this summer. I am sure I will have a ton of questions this summer and fall. My first question is not about predator calling, I was reading on the odnr web site and they had a map for confirmed sightings for wild boar. Anyone here ever shot or even sighted a free ranging wild boar. I am having a hard time believing that free ranging wild boar are in the state. I have hunted quite a few places here aep land,salt fork, woodbury and hocking hills although hocking has been about five years ago. So I guess I am a skeptic,but would love to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks
Jay to the best of knowledge here's the story on the hogs in the Hocking, Vinton County areas. At one time there use to be 2 high fence hunting sanctions literally with in a crows fly of each other. Exotics along with hogs were released for city boy hunting. If you know anything about the terrain I'm talking about, u understand why keeping the hogs inside the fence was a major problem. From there on out the population started to explode. Best of my knowledge they've been in that part of the state for about 25-30 years now. How do I know this info... I grew up right the the heart of it all!

I can't wait to get out there with my boys they are not quite four and not quite two alittle to young to hunt but my oldest is loves to go to the pond and "fish" witch means occasionally holding a fishing rod but mostly chasing bugs or frogs and playing in the dirt. But still fun even for dad

Originally Posted By: Squirrel22I can't wait to get out there with my boys they are not quite four and not quite two alittle to young to hunt but my oldest is loves to go to the pond and "fish" witch means occasionally holding a fishing rod but mostly chasing bugs or frogs and playing in the dirt. But still fun even for dad Really the only thing we are getting done is having a good time. If you think 4-5 or 6 dead yotes is getting it done your wrong. What I've found out over the years I could care less how many I shoot, it's how many laffs I bring home now. Yea.. I like to get the boy in on some action. But at 13, he said dad we only shot a few this year compared to 20 last year, but man we've had fun. So my ? to you is why don't you get your oldest involved now? When Oak was 3 he wanted a coonhound, so I looked for 1, went to buy 1, that seller laffed, I said its not for me it's for this little fella. He said I'd your gonna take him coon hunting with you just take the dog. So the first of Nov. was here and we started just a Lil over 3 yrs old. Killed 70 coon that year with a 3 yr old dang near strapped to my hip, leading a dog, carrying a gun, light and what ever else I needed then come home listen to the wife bout being out half the night. Thought it can't get much worse, but now I look back, it prolly couldn't get much better! We've been hunting hand in hand for over 10 yrs now. And I maybe if I'm lucky have another 2-3 years then the young ladies will be getting between us 2. So take some advise from a dad to a dad. Get'em out and have some fun! It's not about the #'s you rack up it about the hours you rack up with your kids cause man this last 13 yrs has went by like a blink of an eye!........ENJOY!

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnReally the only thing we are getting done is having a good time. If you think 4-5 or 6 dead yotes is getting it done your wrong. What I've found out over the years I could care less how many I shoot, it's how many laffs I bring home now. Yea.. I like to get the boy in on some action. But at 13, he said dad we only shot a few this year compared to 20 last year, but man we've had fun. So my ? to you is why don't you get your oldest involved now? When Oak was 3 he wanted a coonhound, so I looked for 1, went to buy 1, that seller laffed, I said its not for me it's for this little fella. He said I'd your gonna take him coon hunting with you just take the dog. So the first of Nov. was here and we started just a Lil over 3 yrs old. Killed 70 coon that year with a 3 yr old dang near strapped to my hip, leading a dog, carrying a gun, light and what ever else I needed then come home listen to the wife bout being out half the night. Thought it can't get much worse, but now I look back, it prolly couldn't get much better! We've been hunting hand in hand for over 10 yrs now. And I maybe if I'm lucky have another 2-3 years then the young ladies will be getting between us 2. So take some advise from a dad to a dad. Get'em out and have some fun! It's not about the #'s you rack up it about the hours you rack up with your kids cause man this last 13 yrs has went by like a blink of an eye!........ENJOY!

That is the best post I've read on ANY forum in a very long time. Post of the year so far!

Thanks for the advice. I know the time does fly!! I started reading this thread from page one and read it all last night so it seemed like you guys were really killing the coyotes. Matthew did get to go out with me while I was hanging my deer stands last year. Im going to follow your advice and get him out for some crow calling this summer

Back