Foot hold traps find

rugerider

I posted yesterday that was picking up some traps and I wanted to show you guys. Some of these look pretty old. I was hoping someone would know more about them. Would it be a good idea to replace the dogs and pans on them? What is the best way to get them cleaned up? If the one with teeth might be worth some money I will leave it alone, if not I am going to grind them off. They were found in a barn on a property my friend just purchased
IMG_3115_zps937527db.jpg

IMG_3114_zpsc2960f70.jpg

IMG_3112_zps4bb5c8c1.jpg

IMG_3113_zpsd5484a10.jpg

IMG_3111_zps0626d581.jpg

IMG_3110_zpsa3b6b28e.jpg

IMG_3109_zps9eb4b3b5.jpg

IMG_3107_zps3426369e.jpg

IMG_3106_zpsb30beee6.jpg

Hard to say without a closer look. If you know an older trapper in your area, take them to him and get his opinion. You may want to check at a trapping convention also. Good luck

Just about the metal----
The car rebuilders have stuff they use on rusty fenders and undercarriage ---
Removes rust - does not harm actual metal to be repaired --
Just a thought ---
Thanks

Most of those are better to be sold to collectors, as the springs are getting weak I am sure a couple there are worth over $40 apiece which then buys new traps at $25 apiece!

Just my opinion!

I'm with THB; those may be valuable collectors and do a little research before you mess with them. We found some like that on our place and I've kept them 'as is' until they get researched.

To clean them I would use my glass blasting cabinet and then pickle them with phosphoric acid. They won't rust again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbachthose are all user traps except the one with teeth. The victor #4s in the top picture go for about $10-$15.

+1 The bottom one is a victor jump trap.

Last edited:
I took all of them to a trapping supply store and the owner looked them over for me. He said that the one with teeth might be worth something, but the rest I should just use or hang on the wall. He told me which ones had weak springs and which were okay. I soaked them in the vinegar and water solution and hit them with a wire brush in the shower (don't have access to a hose outside). Cleaned all the black residue off and low and behold the trick worked. I had semi silver metal. Overnight they rusted again, but it was the normal orange rust that metal gets after it collects moisture. I think I am ready to get the spring inserts and to work on the pans and dogs.

Will Victor #1 long springs hold a coon or are they more for muskrat and mink. I was also wondering if a Duke #1.5 would hold a coyote if I added two more springs to it. If I did this would it be too much for coons?

Originally Posted By: rugeriderI took all of them to a trapping supply store and the owner looked them over for me. He said that the one with teeth might be worth something, but the rest I should just use or hang on the wall. He told me which ones had weak springs and which were okay. I soaked them in the vinegar and water solution and hit them with a wire brush in the shower (don't have access to a hose outside). Cleaned all the black residue off and low and behold the trick worked. I had semi silver metal. Overnight they rusted again, but it was the normal orange rust that metal gets after it collects moisture. I think I am ready to get the spring inserts and to work on the pans and dogs.

Will Victor #1 long springs hold a coon or are they more for muskrat and mink. I was also wondering if a Duke #1.5 would hold a coyote if I added two more springs to it. If I did this would it be too much for coons?

I recommend buying P.I.T pans for your long springs.

Back