First SAVAGE 111 long range hunting build(tell me what you all think)

Remingtonman

Here is my first build that me and my brother just finished last week. Rifle was previously a stock savage 111 with factory barrel and stock. Added a new Boyds Nutmeg stock,.300 win mag Criterion 24" Heavy Sporter Barrel finishing .72" at the muzzle with recessed crown, Aftermarket recoil lug and barrel nut from NSS(northland shooters supply), Scope is a Nikon Prostaff 4x12x40mm with BDC reticle. Some alterations that I had to do was inlet the stock to accept the heavy barrel, other than that it was just fitting the barrel to the 111 action.

IMG_8609.jpg

IMG_8608.jpg

How does it shoot? I have a savage 110 with a 26" Criterion varmint profile barrel in .300 Win. I like it a lot. looking forward to a range report.

What's not to like? A very nice rifle! I see a higher grade scope in your future, however. Not digging on the Pro-Staff, mind you, but with a magnum cartridge and long/med. heavy barrel, you will want an AO scope in the future. Just a prediction.

Good looking gun, I have that stock on my 7mag which is a Savage also but 110 mod. Question: did you bed the action? and make sure your barrel is free floated? once you get a load developed I'm sure it will be a tack driver.

Originally Posted By: richard50Good looking gun, I have that stock on my 7mag which is a Savage also but 110 mod. Question: did you bed the action? and make sure your barrel is free floated? once you get a load developed I'm sure it will be a tack driver.

I have free floated the barrel and now im waiting on my pillar bedding kit that im going to put in next and once that is finished I have some acraglass bedding compound from brownells that I will use to bed the action.

Very nice!!! If your groups are not up to par right off the bat make sure the tang is free floated also. Every savage I own (which is several) like to have the tang around where the safety is clear from touching anything!!! Good luck!!!

x2 on making sure the tang is floated. I had some issues a while back on a rifle and clearing everything out around the tang, made all the difference.

I had that very same model stock on my varmint .260 I built with parts from NSS, the forend got too thin where I inleted it. How did yours turn out?

I think it'd be better on a 700 or a 70 myself
smile.gif

Not a fan of savages but if it shoots for you and you like it, thats all that matters!

All joking aside, does look like a nice rifle and im sure it will shoot, great cartridge as well, I like the 300 mag for a long range cartridge.

Back