Snake Boot Update

6mm06

Just thought I would pass on some information I recently learned when talking with two of the top names in snake boots, Lacrosse and Chippewa. I have been searching for a good pair of boots and had narrowed it down to those two. As it turned out, it was a no-brainer.

The Chippewa representative told me their boots are "snake bite proof" (their words) for any American snake. As well, there are YouTube videos showing Chippewa boots being tested in a rattlesnake pit. Worth watching.

The Lacrosse representative informed me that there is no standard in the snake boot industry, and they consider their boots as "snake resistant". I asked how their boots are tested, which took over a week to get an answer, but at least they did call back. The rep phoned me stating they tested their boots with blacksnakes. Yep, that's right, blacksnakes. I personally consider that a joke.

Last week I ordered the Chippewa boots from Cabela's and got them today. They are fine looking boots, and comfortable so far, though I have only worn them in the house and not outdoors.

Just thought anyone who might be considering snake boots take into consideration what you might be purchasing. While some boots "may" repel a snake, it would do no good to spend a lot of money, only to have a venomous snake penetrate it. I'm not concerned about blacksnakes, but those with fangs are a different story.

Hopefully the industry will eventually come up with a better standard for their boots and put them through rigorous testing before they shove them out to the public.

Here's the Chippewa test with rattlesnakes:

The Chippawa is the boot I have previously decided I will buy to replace my current Rocky snake boots. Chippawa only makes one model that is waterproof so that is something to consider. I bought a pair of the Danner Jackal snake boots when they first came out and though they are advertised as waterproof they leaked like a sieve. Cabela's refunded my money with no trouble.

Thanks 6mm for your research. It makes me want to call Danner to ask the same questions about my Pronghorns.

It sure would be a bummer to think you have snake PROOF boots when you don't. It is kind of like thinking your CCW gun might have bullets. But, you won't really know until you try to use it against a bad guy.

I could completely see some corporate lawyers just telling marketing to call them snake boots because "no one gets bit that often and we can just settle a lawsuit if it ever happens".

... now I really have to call Danner. My imagination is starting to run wild.

How does Chippewa test their boots?

On the one of the Chippewa videos, it looks like they make the bottom out of just thick leather and the upper part has a snake resistant material.

Geesh. I am an engineer. I like objective tests with numbers. Especially when it comes to my legs getting bit at by Mojave Greens.

Last edited:
Those Chippewa's look pretty good. One thing I know for sure is the most expensive snake boot Rocky makes is a piece of crap. They are supposedly waterproof, mine leaked with just dew on the grass the first time out. From there they have continued to un-impress me. Very bad investment on my part.

I spoke to Danner about my GTX Pronghorn Snake Boots this morning. The customer service representative suggested I email product development with my questions. I asked:

1. Are these boots 100% snake proof?
2. What materials do you use that makes these boots snake proof?
3. Are these materials in the entire boot?
4. How do you test these boots to assure that they are snake proof?

I will post my results after I hear back. I am going to try to get a knowledgeable person on the phone.

I was informed by the Chippewa representative that the books are "snake bite proof" for any American snake. I didn't ask how they test them, but I found YouTube videos of testing being done. That video was good enough for me. The boot received repeated strikes from rattlesnakes. The people in the video said they could see venom on the outside of the boot. I don't know if that was Chippewa doing the testing or an individual, but I assume it was Chippewa since they had the boots numbered on the back of the soles as you can see in the video. It appears that some systematic testing of different models was being done.

The thing that really turned me to the Chippewa was the testing. I could find no videos or actual tests of the Lacrosse or any other boots. You would think there would be a YouTube video by someone showing the boot in action. There are some videos of people talking about boots, but no real tests with snakes. If there is, I couldn't find any. I did find the Snake Guardz being tested.

I have done a lot of searching and reading reviews of snake boots for months now, and I keep coming up with the same basically. That is, most boots rated as water proof don't hold up to that claim very well.

Bullsprings, yes, the boot I got is a leather / cordura combination. That boot was tested in the rattlesnake pit in the video. It is rated water proof. Time will tell if it holds up to that or not, but even Goretex will leak over time. I'm not too concerned about that since I won't be wading in water, but I do want it to hold up to dew on the grass, small puddles etc.

I ordered my usual boot size and it fit perfectly. I didn't have as much problem getting my foot into it as I thought I might, but it does require a bit more effort (though not much) to get it off. I had read several reviews where people claimed the Chippewa boots run a bit larger that normal size. I questioned the rep about that before making the purchase. I was told that the lining of the water proof boot runs pretty much true-to-size, but the unlined / not water proof model does run maybe 1/2 size larger due to not having the lining.

Also, I found this test of Snake Guardz. Impressive.

If you go to the Rattlesnake country of south Texas where we hunt, Chippewa is almost all you will see. Everybody wears them. A tip, when they are brand new get some Neatsfoot Oil. Put a coat on them every day for a week and allow it to soak in. The leather will be softer and they will become waterproof. Awesome boots and worth the money IMO!

6mm, those boots look awesome. I like how there are no laces for the snake to get caught up on.

As an engineer, I look at the snake pit tests as more a marketing thing than a legitimate test. They are interesting and dramatic. But, they are not really controlled or repeatable.

Given what is at stake, it would be best to see tests done in a lab with that can be measured and quantified.

P.S. Funny. That snakeguardz video convinced me to abandon my Turtleskin gaitors for snake boots. There were quite a few strikes to the ankles and foot.

Last edited:

Yea, snake pit tests are not the same thing as lab tests. but at the moment that's good enough for me. I'm not sure if any boot maker has the kind of testing you mentioned, but they should before parading them out to the public with the name "snake boots." Probably 99% of people who buy snake boots think they can't be penetrated and it gives a false sense of security, which might lead some to take undue risks and put themselves more in harms way.

The Snake Guardz look pretty good, but a strong leather boot would have to be worn too. You are right, there were a lot of low strikes.

Given the current snake boot situation, I think I made as good a decision with the Chippewas as possible at the moment. As I mentioned earlier, it would be nice to see the industry step up to the plate, get their act together and produce boots that "ARE" snake proof, and put them through stringent tests. But, since big business and a lot of money is involved, that may just be wishful thinking. If more people became aware and began expressing their frustrations to the companies, ie not buying, then maybe some changes might occur.

Just watching that footage gives me the shakes. I truly hate snakes. Interesting that the tester just about has to step on the snakes to get them to strike however. Thanks for posting, kind of
laugh.gif

I have the waterproof snake boots made by Bushnell. The waterproof is more important to me then snake proof although it is a plus. They also have a video showing them being hit by rattlesnakes. There are not many options for tall boots for women and I have tried just about all of them but none of them seem to every hold up. I want a boot that I can walk 5 miles in, chase dogs all over the mountains, climb trees in and not have blisters or soaking wet feet! For the price of boots I don't think that is to much to ask for but it has come down to if I bought a pair of boots at the start of deer season and they lasted all 3 months of the season without leaking I was happy.

I decided to try the Bushnell boots in March of last year and wore them at least 5 times a week, there is no off season at our house.:) They were the most comfortable boots I had ever owned. No blisters, no wet feet! Never got bite by a snake but I was ok not testing that out. Unfortunately around the last of Dec one did start to leak and the bottom of the sole started to separate from the boot. I was very disappointed but was still happy they had lasted that long considering the abuse I had put them through. The only other boot I had that lasted that long before leaking was a version of "muck boots" made by Game Winner from Academy.

They reason I am telling all this is to tell about the customer service I received from Bushnell. I was at a local outdoor shop and was telling the sales girl about my boots. I told her how much I had loved them and how disappointed I was when they started to leak. She told me a Bushnell rep was coming by the store later and ask if she could tell him about my boots and asked for my #. I didn't think much would come out of it but about 2 hours later my phone rang and it was the rep. I told him how happy I had been with them and everything I had put them through and that I felt I had defiantly gotten my moneys worth even though they had only lasted 9 months. He still wanted to replace the boots. All I had to do was send him a picture of where the boot had come apart and send it to him so he could show the main office. No proof of purchase, didn't have to send them the boots just a picture and they replaced the boots. He said they should last at least 2 years no matter how hard you wear them. If the new boots tear up before then they will replace those too. It's hard to beat a deal like that!

ps I to always put some kind of waterproof seal on my boots after I first get them even if they are already labeled as "waterproof" just to be on the safe side.

6mm, I agree. You picked the best choice based on the evidence that is available in this market. Like you said, the Chippewa test might not be scientific. But, it is the best test available.

Your post did a lot of us a favor. I just assumed my boot was snake PROOF without question. Kind of dumb on my part. Important things need to be verified to the best extent possible.

The Danner Pronghorns may be snake PROOF. I plan on doing the homework to find out for sure one way or another.

Academy has the Bushnells, but it looks like they're only in ladies sizes? I'll have to stop by 7 take a look. we need to buy new boots for my wife, she may like these.

Just got off the phone with Danner. I could not get to the Product Development people. They claim there is a "mesh" material that covers the entire boot that makes it snake proof. They also claim they did tests with a person in Pennsylvania putting balloons in the boot. They could not tell me what the mesh material was. They had nothing in writing or no proof or evidence.

All in all, pretty frustrating.

Pretty dumb from a marketing standpoint. They make a bold claim and have nothing to back it up except their word. Not good enough for me.

I own the Danner Jackal GTX snake boots. They are very comfortable but they did start leaking after the short whilemi owned them. Now just try and watch how much w ater i have to walk thru.
My next pair will hopefully be Chippewa

I have a pair from bass pro shops that i bought in 2001. I think 17", speed lace, camo, waterproof.

After a few years of hard hunting a chunk broke off one sole. Doesn't impair walking 7 they remain water proof.

As I recall, they cost me about $90 at the time.

How snake proof they are has never been put to the test, so far as I know, no snake has ever tried to bite me with them on. Maybe they're also snake repellant?

They don't quite fit right any more, so I guess I'm back in the market for new ones as well.

Back