? on a Rock River.

ksyotehunter

My uncle runs a gunsmith shop in Potwin,Ks. And is thinking about ordering a couple of Fred Eichler RRA. He asked me what I'd thought they would sell for so I have came to you guys for input. I was thinking 1600-1700? Is that too high? He is just trying to drum up some business.

Locally he's going to have a hard time moving them, IMO, especially $1-$200 above MSRP. They're neat guns but they're not a budget firearm. His customer base may be different than ours, but most of the budgets of our local customers are below the $1400 range. Most are reluctant to go over $1k.

We typically sell them for $1450-$1500:Fred Eichler AR15

MSRP is $1510

Last edited:
When Im looking at new guns in shops the 1st thing I will notice how they are priced, if anything is over standard retail I will not buy and go else where. There are to many places where one could get items for less especially online. I would think your uncle would be fine at retail if there are buyers in the area and they can get one fast over the counter VS waiting.

Well I didn't look up MSRP last night as he said it said 1900 which I thought was high. He really doesn't have a customer base as he is geared toward the gunsmithing but figures he could get some work maybe selling some new rifles.

So ya 1600 1700 would be high considering the msrp! Was in a hurry last night.

Thanks Guys.

Originally Posted By: ksyotehunterI see what he looked at now....I'll have to tell him not to look at that for MSRP. Thanks Again.

What was he looking at?

I've been in business for decades but nothing retail like firearms. I'm guessing if he can find an honest supplier they can tell them their biggest sellers. Just have to stress honest. Make sure supplier is not pushing the stock he is stuck with. I'd buy what sells not what I like. If it's a business and not a hobby. Around here and gunbroker.com take down 10/22 are hot.

PS Don't know the status where you are as far as hunting suppressed but if it's getting ready to be legal I'd look at getting a Class III. The demand at ATF has it at a 10 month wait.

Last edited:
I have a shooting buddy that used to manage an indoor pistol shooting range and sold a bunch of firearms at 10% over his landed cost...But only on special order with 50% down at the time of order...He rented a wide variety of handguns and that boosted his sales since people could try out several to find the ones they really liked before plunking down their money...

For your uncle to jump off into firearms sales on a type/style that is not in high demand, would be a little risky to my personal taste, unless he's willing to allow a substantial inventory cost to build up with no guarantee for future sales...Not everyone is really comfortable with the AR platform, depending on their age, experience, and traditional hunting/shooting background...

He was just looking at something that wasn't readily available and thought people wanted it. He doesn't have the backing at the moment to have big inventory. He is trying to stick to special order on a lot of the guns sales. Most of his work is the gunsmithing part of it. He is the guy that does the work for one of the bigger companies in town. All came down to him seeing the wrong msrp so no harm no foul he isn't in the business to take people. Plus he is out in the country right now. Has a building he is working out of.

If your uncle wants to be a gun dealer, versus a gunsmith, he'll probably want to focus on cheaper firearms that he can turn faster. IE, a S&W Sport versus a Fred Eichler. Margins aren't all that great on firearms so turnover is needed to make it worthwhile for the capital expenditure and risk.

I would advise him not to get into purchasing firearms for resale unless he has a good cash buffer. The firearm market right now is a bit slow and he'll have a hard time justifying cash layout right now unless he somehow falls into some high demand items such as PMR30 (Unlikely).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersIf your uncle wants to be a gun dealer, versus a gunsmith, he'll probably want to focus on cheaper firearms that he can turn faster. IE, a S&W Sport versus a Fred Eichler. Margins aren't all that great on firearms so turnover is needed to make it worthwhile for the capital expenditure and risk.

I would advise him not to get into purchasing firearms for resale unless he has a good cash buffer. The firearm market right now is a bit slow and he'll have a hard time justifying cash layout right now unless he somehow falls into some high demand items such as PMR30 (Unlikely).

That right there is the best free advice on the internet.

Yep! I'll second that.

Were I going to invest, I'd invest in something far cheaper than a Fred Eichler. Something you can move faster. While there's a lot to be said for profit margin, there is also this little thing called cash flow. And, it don't matter what the profit margin is, if the cash ain't flowing. If you can sell 3 guns with a third the markup in less time than you sell the Eichler, you're better off selling the 3 cheaper guns.

If someone wants an Eichler, they'll wait for it.

I would encourage him to order some rock river ath rifles. A lot cheaper to sell and a great rifle. There are a lot of great reviews on here and I personally own one and I love it!

Back