20 practical

dan158

Anyone run one of those? I been looking around and they seem to have the same velocity as the 204 but with easier to find brass. I will have to get ahold of Dtech and see what the turn around time is for a barrel. Might do that build after the 204. Not sure if should put it on a side charge or a standard upper. I do like the side charge uppers though for a hunting rig.

If you have a .204, no reason to build a 20P unless its just due to the .223 brass being easy as heck to get.
There is only a max of maybe 300 fps between them.
I had a 20P I built and was running 3800 fps w/32g bullets.

I have a 20 Tactical from Dtech and its awesome. Easy to convert .223 brass. She's a smokin round! Shoot a 35gr Berger at an easy 3800 and my 32gr Blitzkings are well over 4000.......

Originally Posted By: 5spdIf you have a .204, no reason to build a 20P unless its just due to the .223 brass being easy as heck to get.

The 20 Practical will stay with the 204 Ruger all day. The Max between them is nothing. My 24" 20 Prac. will run a shade over 4000 FPS with a 32 grain bullet.
There are several reasons to build a 20 Practical. One is brass availability, you can find 223 brass everywhere. Another one is reliability. The 204 does not feed from all 5.56 magazines. The big one for me is the over all length. The 204 is to long for an AR. It is a common practice to lengthen out your OAL to get your bullet closer to the riflings. With a 204 there just isn't any room left. Bullets have to be seated deep in the case.

My 20 PRAC shoots like a laser. The 32's at 4050 and the 39's at 3800+. The Berger 35's are PD misters splitting the difference at 3900 or so.

A Redding 223 Type-S F/L die makes great cases and can be used on 223 and 6X45 too.

Greg

[/quote The 20 Practical will stay with the 204 Ruger all day. The Max between them is nothing. My 24" 20 Prac. will run a shade over 4000 FPS with a 32 grain bullet.
There are several reasons to build a 20 Practical. One is brass availability, you can find 223 brass everywhere. Another one is reliability. The 204 does not feed from all 5.56 magazines. The big one for me is the over all length. The 204 is to long for an AR. It is a common practice to lengthen out your OAL to get your bullet closer to the riflings. With a 204 there just isn't any room left. Bullets have to be seated deep in the case. [/quote

The 204 will feed perfectly with the Wright mag and that is a LANCER mag I have one and use them works great!!!!]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: R Johnson
5spd said:
If you have a .204, no reason to build a 20P unless its just due to the .223 brass being easy as heck to get.

The 20 Practical will stay with the 204 Ruger all day. The Max between them is nothing. My 24" 20 Prac. will run a shade over 4000 FPS with a 32 grain bullet.
There are several reasons to build a 20 Practical. One is brass availability, you can find 223 brass everywhere. Another one is reliability. The 204 does not feed from all 5.56 magazines. The big one for me is the over all length. The 204 is to long for an AR. It is a common practice to lengthen out your OAL to get your bullet closer to the riflings. With a 204 there just isn't any room left. Bullets have to be seated deep in the case. [/quote

The 204 will feed perfectly with the Wright mag and that is a LANCER mag I have one and use them works great!!!!]

Exactly my point. The 204 WON'T work with just any magazine. It takes some trial and error to get one that will work. I'm not trying to bash your 204. I'm just pointing out the problems with the 204 in an AR.

Originally Posted By: bryan hThe best part of the 204 is you can buy factory ammo any were .

Your right about that. But when it comes to loading for accuracy the Practical is simply a better mouse trap. Like I said in my earlier post, you can't do much with bullet seating depth with a 204. If your barrel likes it loaded short you have a shooter. If it likes the bullet close to the lands you have a single shot.

I can't understand why every time this comes up some body gets their feelings hurt. Its' not a matter of mine is better , it's a matter of simple math. The 204 was NEVER intended to be put in an AR 15. That doesn't mean it won't work, but there are better options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R JohnsonOriginally Posted By: bryan hThe best part of the 204 is you can buy factory ammo any were .

Your right about that. But when it comes to loading for accuracy the Practical is simply a better mouse trap. Like I said in my earlier post, you can't do much with bullet seating depth with a 204. If your barrel likes it loaded short you have a shooter. If it likes the bullet close to the lands you have a single shot.

I can't understand why every time this comes up some body gets their feelings hurt. Its' not a matter of mine is better , it's a matter simple math. The 204 was NEVER intended to be put in an AR 15. That doesn't mean it won't work, but there are better options.

Ritch is right. I love my 204 bolt gun and my 20 tactical AR.

I have three 204 bolt guns, a 20 PRACTICAL and a 20 TACTICAL. Ballistic triplets in performance but the PRACTICAL gets the nod for ease in loading, price of brass and cheap dies. I shoot zero amounts of factory ammunition as I tend to not follow the herd. Never seen a 35 or 55 grain Berger loaded in a factory 204 but they do well coming out of my presses. You can't load the 55 to 2.260 in a magazine with a 204.

I love my bolt guns because of the triggers and superb accuracy but I'll go with the 223 based case everytime.

Greg

Greg have you run the 55 Bergers out of a 20 practical of tactical in the Ar platform? Curious out of magazine feeding ability and Fps? I love them out of my 204 Ai bolt gun and would love to be able to run that bullet in an ar platform.
Thanks Pete

Originally Posted By: r15 reeperGreg have you run the 55 Bergers out of a 20 practical of tactical in the Ar platform? Curious out of magazine feeding ability and Fps? I love them out of my 204 Ai bolt gun and would love to be able to run that bullet in an ar platform.
Thanks Pete

They feed fine. I don't have my notes with me but 3200 or so comes to mind. I have a better mousetrap in the background and if you can wait a few weeks I'll be glad to share. I did open a magazine as they will be back past the mouth. It seems a few extra thousands always are our bugaboo unless we do some machinations.

Greg

Last edited:
The thing that I like about the 20pr besides the speed is that I can always find brass for it. Plus I don't get to upset if I loose a few out in the field. No big deal I have plenty of 223 brass laying around to make more.

Back