what scope do you have on your ar?

Have one and really like it. Thinking of getting a second. The only problem with them is the exposed turrets. They turn somewhat easily and this has been mentioned with some frequency. I got an idea from a member here. Went to a Farm and Fleet store and bought a variety of o-rings and experimented till I found the ones that would hold them tighter. Basically ivolves 2. First fits just below the turret and the second binds on the first. If you go this rout and find they move a little to easilly let me know and I can tell you what size o-rings I bought. I got my scope from SWFA with their SSALT mount combo. Like there mount also.

Last edited:
On my 20" Hbar that's setup for coyote calling I have a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 with the V-brite IR reticle, for those that haven't seen it, its a basic duplex with a dot where the crosshiars would normally meet, and of course the dot is illuminated red....this scope is very useful at sundown and also when you need to make a snap shot and don't have time to focus your eye on the reticle. I would buy another

On my 16" M4 style I have a fixed 2.5 power BSA, I normally wouldn't have boutght such a cheap scope but it was on clearance for $19 and I had always wanted to try one of the little straight tube scopes....the glass isn't super bright but the little scope is very fast and effective and has held zero through some rough handling...most likely this scope will go on my 20ga slug gun next deer season and I will replace it with Vortex's mew 1-4x24 with the Vbrite reticle

Alienx,

As you can see, there's a wide range of optics we're mounting on top of our AR's. It helps to think about how you will be using your gun. Will you be punching paper, long range hunting, short range hunting, etc.? This process will help you determine which scope will best fit your needs. You may or may not need a lot of magnification. I personally like the option of having more magnification (4-16X at least), but the tradeoff is bulk and extra weight. I hope this helps.

I bought a nice used 3-gun AR, that came with a modest simmons 4x. I replaced it with a US Optics SN3 3-17 TPAL. Excellent scope but FFP reticles aren't for me so I sold it.

I've put a Nikon M-223 4x16x42 BDC 600 reticle on my AR15 but I can take that off easily and install a EOTECH HHS1 system for using in brush and short range conditions.

I like to practice shooting at 200 yards on paper targets and testing different factory loads. And I plan on hunting predators someday.

Last edited:
A., Lots of choices out there for your AR. So much depends on how far you will be shooting and of course budget. I have used all the M-223 line of scopes and I'm a big fan of the 3-12 BDC 600 reticle. It gives me the flexibility to use 3X if hunitng in a wooded area and 12 when hunting my normal places. I prefer the BDC reticle because it allows me to utilize whatever ammo I have and Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in my scope,rifle and ammo for maximum accuracy. I also like the M-223 XR scope mount. 1 Piece with 20 MOA built in for maximum longrange shooting. Yes, I do some freelance work for Nikon but at the edn of the day, if this scope didn't perform I wouldn't tell you it will do all you ask of it.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-223%203-12/Screenshot2012-10-17at34248PM.png

Back