AR Pistol Upper

im4flight

OK, so I have the lower, and have decided I am going to be using the SB15 stabalizing arm brace on my new pistol build. Now I need to decide what I am doing for an upper. I used the search on here and did not see a whole lot.

I have done AR rifle builds, and am up for building or buying this...

Who is shooting AR pistols or SBR's on here... what are you using, what do you like, what do you not like?

Barrel length is a biggy for me, I want it to be as short as possible, but still handle and function right. What am I giving up if I go down to a 7", am I better off with a happy medium? 10"ish?

Thanks!

I don't have much to contribute but I think if you are going to suppress it, you might check with the suppressor mfg recommendations on length. Some will not warranty something with a 7" barrel. I have a 10.5" 5.56 which is plenty short. Any shorter might singe your mustache...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: im4flightI will be shooting suppressed, why the limitation on the barrel for a suppressor?

With that short of a barrel there is a ton of gas coming out the end and into the silencer, it's a lot harder on them then the longer barrels.

I am looking at a pistol or SBR build right now too. What are some of the best calibers for this? The effectiveness of a 223 from a 12" or shorter barrel really doesn't float my boat, I need something a little harder hitting.

I have a 9 1/2" 300 blackout upper that is pretty sweet. It is awesome suppressed and is a little more versatile IMO in a short barreled package than the .223. I love mine. I also have a 10 1/2"
223 upper and it hardly ever gets used. Always grab the 300 blackout.

For .223 I wouldn't go shorter than 10.3" for practicality/reliability reasons. I went with 11.5" after reading Bravo Company's response as to why they recommend it. Plus the 11" VTAC rail looks so good matched up with it. 6.8 SPC and 300 BLK are good in SBR form as well, I'm just not sure as to what lengths are best for those calibers.

Last edited:
I've been curious about the 6x6.8 in a 12.5" and make it's big brother upper in a 24" barrel so I can just swap uppers for a large range of uses. I am sure a 6.8 would be better in the SBR but I would like a little more zip for long range stuff.

I want something small and something big in the same caliber so I can just swap uppers for 10 yards to 800+ yards, its kinda got me scratching my head.

The SBR i use is a 5.56 11.5 inch Adam Arms upper with a TBAC suppressor for all my yote hunts that are going to be 250 yards or less. Anything shorter is just too [beeep] noisy even with a can.
smile.gif

9bc2c758-32ed-4fdc-997b-70eca9d1d46b_zps001258cf.jpg

Even with a can most SBR lengths are louder than what most imagine. I shoot an 8" blackout seekins upper 99% of the time for hunting. The pressure at 8" is high, and like someone already mentioned some suppressor manufactures won't warranty it. I got it in writing on mine that it was ok to use for supersonic loaded ammo out of an 8" barrel. My can's 300win mag rated as well so that may be something to check in on as to if it would be similar pressures.

Ok thanks for the head up guys. I did check with YHM on my can. I can go with a 8.5 in 300 blackout or a 10.5 in 556. I think I want to go with the 556. This is mostly a you build, I have plenty if other hunting AR's so don't need this to sere a double purpose. If I am happy with its function an short distance accuracy (less than 50 yds) I may use it or HD as well.

I really wanted to go short to be as different from my other ARs as possible. But absolutely will not go back to shootin. Unsupreased. So......

I do reload, so the cost of the 300blqckout isn't really an issue, but prefer to keep things simple, and of course am already set up for 556.

Originally Posted By: im4flightOK, so I have the lower, and have decided I am going to be using the SB15 stabalizing arm brace on my new pistol build. Now I need to decide what I am doing for an upper. I used the search on here and did not see a whole lot.

I have done AR rifle builds, and am up for building or buying this...

Who is shooting AR pistols or SBR's on here... what are you using, what do you like, what do you not like?

Barrel length is a biggy for me, I want it to be as short as possible, but still handle and function right. What am I giving up if I go down to a 7", am I better off with a happy medium? 10"ish?

Thanks!

I'm doing the same thing as you, what pistol buffer did you end up with?

I'm thinking a 10.5-12" upper, any recommendations?

Back