Cat trappin'

I like those wolf fangs, but my pipe anchors seem better suited for pounding into frozen ground, I doubled 2 fangs over hitting rocks in frozen ground. I might just build more pipe anchors instead of getting another 100 Wolf Fangs. I went to 37" stakes for a lot of my snares, some ground here is soft enough to push stake in 12-20" by hand! I used my old kill poles to make the first 70 of them, need more made before fall. Then I am going to try and make a tangle pole for open grass snaring.

Originally Posted By: M70SWIFTWill cats' pull out of offset jawed traps?

Never lost one in an offset trap, I'm sure if you had it by 1 toe it could, but usually if pan tension is good you will have them good enough to not pull out, and cats don't fight a trap hard like a K9 will.

before I knew enough to use pan tension, and before I had a license I had one pop out of a 1-3/4 modified nw trap. Saved me from releasing it. I have only used offsets about 30 yrs now, nothing else

Thanks fellas. I've never used one. Not sure if offsets would offer any benefit over those without offset jaws? I've wondered if offsets are used just to satisfy the animal rights scum? But maybe they're used to help disperse the power? Thanks again!

lamination, I use a 1/4" round rod on the top of the jaw for dispersion of the power and to help on any reduction of problems, I found i had fewer raccoon escapes with offsets when I first expiermented with them in about 1980.

The J Hooks that PIT PANs sells are advertised to be 20% stronger than any other on the market. I have found Ed to be knowledgeable and honest, and I believe him.

I use mb550 reg jaws and they all have swivel at base ,3 links of chain ,another swivel, shockspring, another swivel ,3 more links of chain and another swivel. This does not give them any room to put alot of force on the trap. They cant run or jump to get much leverage. I could go without the springs and still feel confident that no damage would occur from a short chain swivel set up.

short chain, focus is on the trap then, if they move a heavy trap around they get tired and lay down, short chain has a problem with them focusing on the trap,imo

Back