.243ai or 22-243 and horizon firearms

I am looking for opinions on a .243ai or 22-243 built on a Remington action. I am just looking for a custom rifle and I have lots of .243 brass. Also has anyone had any experience with horizon firearms out of college station Texas? I talked to the owner today at the wild hog expo in Waco. He is the one that mentioned the 22-243. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDepends on what bullet/weight you want to run.

Tim hit it, depends on what bullet/weight

I have a 243 AI and 22-243 but they set up to run different weight bullets

Originally Posted By: Wylietx107I am looking for opinions on a .243ai or 22-243 built on a Remington action. Thanks

One of each!

I am thinking 60-70 grains. Just really wanting a good shooting custom rifle. I have 3 .243 and want to stay with the same case but with more horsepower. I have read a lot about the 243ai but nothing about the 22-243 but I don't want to do a lot of brass modifying because I have little experience at it. Thanks for the replies

22-243 is a simple pass through the die. Depending on the reamer specs, I don't see any/much neck turning needed. I don't think a lot of these guys turn necks.

The 243 AI is just simply load a good stiff load, and you have brass formed once fired. Then reloading is just the same as a standard 243 win.

If you're wanting to stay at 70ish grain bullets, a standard 243 with optimized loads is great. However, the high BC 224 bullets are nothing to snuff at. It really comes down to what you want to do with the brass. Neither of which is overly labor intensive.

Originally Posted By: BreatheandsqueezeA .22-243 requires you to run it thru a bushing die with a .259 then a .251 bushing then if you AI it you will fireform it.

Why 2 different bushings? I don't and don't need to
smile.gif

I have a buddy that just got a 6.5x284 from horizon firearms built. It was built on a weatherby S2 action with a Benchmark barrel. He is just loving the gun so far. I handled it and it was well balanced but too heavy for my hunting style. From what I could tell the machine work was clean and action was smooth.

As Tim mention, depends on what bullet/grain you want to shoot.

If I did a 22-243, it would be with a fast twist for 75gr bullets or heavier, but with the shortage of 75gr + on the market today, I'd have a hard time building something along those lines.

A .243ai in '9tw is hard not to like...

All depends on what you're planning on doing with the rifle.

I have had Derrick at Horizon build a custom muzzle brake and his work is top notch. I verbally placed an order for a 6mm Creedmore at the show.

Venatic he seemed to know what he was talking about. And the couple of guns he had there sure looked slick. How does a 6 creed moor compare to a 6.5? Man so many choices so little money. What action would be a better build Remington or savage. I have one of each I wouldn't mind turning into something different

Back