which ar should i get

bigtommy

I am looking at buying a new ar. The ones I am looking at are the colt competition CRP18, RRA R3, and DPMS 3G2 I may also just get the upper from mike and build my own lower but I am not sure that I am patient enough to order from mike.

I have the Colt CRP 18" and it is a great gun or at least I think so. It came with a test target of .182" 3 shot group at 100 yards.

Last edited:
My first AR was this lower
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=L15BN&Category=8780cda4-b901-4b0c-bc96-d7c6ca2b924a
$429

with this upper
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U15A4CB&Category=bce7fa68-373e-4afc-b00e-63fe2c75d131
$550

The two halves will cost you $979 before shipping, transfer, magazines and your choice of scope. The best part is it's a mid length rifle. I just cannot fall in love with the M-4 carbines length gas system even though I have one.

The National Match lower has a two stage trigger that in my opinion is perfect and the upper has met all of my expectations and more. It wears a 10 power Bushnell now.

I know you mentioned the Colt and it has a reputation of being rugged and dependable and the Rock River has a reputation of being accurate. I don't know a lot about this version of the DPMS but the company has been around a long time and they sell a lot of guns. To me it's about how much money you want to spend and how soon do you want it in your hands.

kwg

Last edited:
With the three that you listed, I personally have a hard time with the $700 dollar difference in the Colt over the other two, other than the fact that it has some listed upgrades in the trigger and butt stock that the others don't...I'm just not sure that the "Colt" name is justified for the additional cost if the cost of the upgrades were applied to the others...

I've been a DPMS fan for a number of years and my 3-gun competition action shooting AR has several upgrades that enhance the accuracy and durability over the stock production version and I've had, and rejected, several other brands over the years for specific reasons relative to the individual make/model..I still have the DPMS...

If you are considering, as you should, a potential resale value, the Colt name is hard to argue with as there are 'purists' out there that will accept nothing less...Whichever one you choose, I think you will be happy....

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersYou may also want to look at the Stag 3G, based on your other choices.

HOLLY CRAP!!! I can't believe someone else is a fan of
the 3G!
thumbup.gif
I figured I was the only one on here to sing their praises
blush.gif

I got mine about a year and a half ago and never had one second of regret! Well under half inch groups at a hundred yards and the rifle length gas system handles recoil great, but the best part is the super sweet Geissele trigger!
A couple of diehard AR fans have shot mine without knowing about the trigger and after the first shot, they lay the rifle down and turn to me with a look of disbelief on their face quickly turning in to a huge grin and their words have been "HOLY $H!#!!! WHAT KIND OF TRIGGER IS THAT?!?!?!"

Back