m & p 15 trouble

stickyburrs

i recently bought my first ar and after about the first 200 rounds the hammer pin backed out enough to fall out of one side of the lower and now i have to constantly watch the pin because it moves every 15-20 shots.this is a brand new rifle . has anyone had this problem.im hoping its the pin and not the lower

I would measure the pin. If it is undersize you can use the info already posted. If it is the correct size then the hole in the receiver could be oversize. If that was the case I would contact S&W.

Originally Posted By: bryan hYou need is a set of KNS Anti walk pins that will solve your problem.

What he said. ^^^^

Rather than pounding in slightly over sized pins, just to
have them eventually wear loose, get the KNS Anti-Walk
pins from Joe Bob's. I prefer these:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KNS_Precision_Gen2_Mod_2_Trigger_Group_Pins_p/kns-nrthpmod2.htm

But there is a selection of other choices under Joe Bob's
"Pin Kits" page. Get one of these, and your pin walking
problems are gone.

Squeeze

In my opinion what you have is a missing J spring that should be installed at the factory in the hammer.
The J spring is what is supposed to click into the middle cut in the hammer pin. If you look thru the hole in the hammer it can be seen or up from the bottom.

It is not supposed to fall out of the hammer, it is supposed to be staked in.

I could not buy one by it self and had to steal one out of another hammer that I had as I wanted to keep the original in the gun.

Let me know if I am right but my Rem r-15 acted exactly like you describe. After the missing J spring was replaced it never did it again.

Originally Posted By: mulespursIn my opinion what you have is a missing J spring that should be installed at the factory in the hammer.
The J spring is what is supposed to click into the middle cut in the hammer pin. If you look thru the hole in the hammer it can be seen or up from the bottom.

It is not supposed to fall out of the hammer, it is supposed to be staked in.

I could not buy one by it self and had to steal one out of another hammer that I had as I wanted to keep the original in the gun.

Let me know if I am right but my Rem r-15 acted exactly like you describe. After the missing J spring was replaced it never did it again.

Ill second this!

Either way I would contact S&W CS and get them on it. If it is a missing spring they need to provide it for you if it is something else they need to make it right.

Back