The realities of building an AR-10?

Rock Knocker

I am thinking of building an AR10. 24"ish barrel in 260, 260AI if I have the balls to try it.

What sort of prices and availability are we talking about?

Any pointers would be great. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hookedreality?
Most likely to buy one off the shelf cheaper than build, I think.
Consider MSRP, a little higher than actually what might be found.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/260-REM_ep_191-1.html

What he said. ^^^

I did the build idea, and started pricing out parts. It was
cheaper to buy a DPMS LR-308 Oracle, and start swapping
parts. I stopped adding parts cost when it went over $1100
for basically the same rifle. I got the rifle shipped from
Bud's, to my FFL, and transferred, for $950. In your case,
looking for a 260 Rem. variant, this may not be the cheapest
path, but for me, looking for a 308/7.62 NATO, this was
the cheapest and fastest path to a new rifle. I have been
busy making upgrades, and other than DPMS stamped on the
lower, it doesn't look like the same rifle. Monday the
Troy Ind. FF tube shows up, and that should complete the
personalization...Well maybe not, it needs a grip upgrade
in the near future.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I'd keep an eye on gunbroker.com. that's where l picked up my dpms lr-243 lite hunter. It was $1145.00 shipped and the only thing I'm doing with it is putting an adjustable gas block on it. Down the road I'd like to get a .260 upper for it as it would be the cat's meow for deer.

What everyone else has said,,, not much wiggle room on a ar10,,, redx arms,when in stock has some of the better deals on parts.

X

I suppose starting off stock wouldn't be bad. Even if I got one in 308 or 260 the most importent
swap for a longer barrel and maybe try the Ackley chambering.

Belive me it is a lot cheaper to buy already built, it took me a year to build my AR-10 in 260 its built like i want but way over budget ! Compared to whats available out there.

I like easy so I bought a DPMS LR-308 Oracle. I changed the buttstock, grip, trigger and forearm.
Then bought a DPMS LR-243 upper. Then, I had to buy scopes, mounts and rings plus dies, brass and bullets. Don't forget Lake City and Winchester ammo to break in the barrels. I started adding up the cost and stopped at $5000.00.

I just got thru building a dpms style ar308 using mega maten set, lilja 24 barrel, spurh mount, giessel trigger and a 3.5-15 NF I had from my old 308 bolt gun. after looking at total investment im right under 5000 complete. they are addicting. I am leaning towards building another using seekins new ar308 set and tryin out a creedmore.

Originally Posted By: kyle`I just got thru building a dpms style ar308 using mega maten set, lilja 24 barrel, spurh mount, giessel trigger and a 3.5-15 NF I had from my old 308 bolt gun. after looking at total investment im right under 5000 complete. they are addicting. I am leaning towards building another using seekins new ar308 set and tryin out a creedmore.

I need to find out what business you're in that a $5000 rifle is something you're going to do again. The only way that is happening for me is if my wife leaves me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ClarkyBallzOriginally Posted By: kyle`I just got thru building a dpms style ar308 using mega maten set, lilja 24 barrel, spurh mount, giessel trigger and a 3.5-15 NF I had from my old 308 bolt gun. after looking at total investment im right under 5000 complete. they are addicting. I am leaning towards building another using seekins new ar308 set and tryin out a creedmore.

I need to find out what business you're in that a $5000 rifle is something you're going to do again. The only way that is happening for me is if my wife leaves me
smile.gif

Ain't that the truth? I have around $2K in my LR 308 and if I ever do something foolish again, it will just be another upper, maybe in 260 Remington.

I've got a large custom savage in 260AI with a Nightforce set up for F class. I haven't been using it much and I have been pondering selling it to fund part of the build, but it really shoots like a dream.

...but I just found a good deal on armslist.

Originally Posted By: ClarkyBallz
kyle` said:
smile.gif

construction.......

wife don't care what i buy she get's her own goodies too. lol.
i used to have 16 different calibers in about 30 different lower end rifles. i have since thinned the heard down and have less gun's taking up the safe now just higher dollar ones. 5000 dollar rifles aren't as uncommon as you might think. most nightforce scopes are close to 2000.00 alone.

Originally Posted By: kyle`Originally Posted By: ClarkyBallz
kyle` said:
smile.gif

construction.......

wife don't care what i buy she get's her own goodies too. lol.
i used to have 16 different calibers in about 30 different lower end rifles. i have since thinned the heard down and have less gun's taking up the safe now just higher dollar ones. 5000 dollar rifles aren't as uncommon as you might think. most nightforce scopes are close to 2000.00 alone.

Yes, and I own neither! Well, keep up the good work and feel free to post pics anytime you'd like me to live vicariously through you! I'd have pricier toys but we just had our first kid, so I'm thinking I'll be lucky to buy another rifle in the next two years!

here ya go ClarkyBallz, congrats on the first kid they are fun and expensive. my 10yr old has 5 rifle's of his own now and is addicted as we are. so I won't tell ya what he's got.......

Originally Posted By: kyle`here ya go ClarkyBallz, congrats on the first kid they are fun and expensive. my 10yr old has 5 rifle's of his own now and is addicted as we are. so I won't tell ya what he's got.......

Thanks man! He's a good guy, looking forward to having a new hunting buddy! Mine will have to deal with my hand-me-downs, but that just means I can justify getting myself some new ones
smile.gif

Back