RRA Fred Eichler series

ptaylor138

So I'm sure accuracy is second to none on these rifles 200yds and under, but just curious whats some of your expert opinions on 200yds+? I am used to a 20" Bull barrel gun and have no fear dialing up 350-400 but with a 16" barrel not sure if I would be so confident. I love the RRA Fred Eichler series gun and am really thinking about selling my 20" Gun to buy this considering I just put together Savage Model 10 22-250/Vortex PST combo to use for a lot of my coyote/varmint hunting. So talk me into it or talk me out of it...

How many coyotes do you shoot over 200 and how many do you shoot under 200? I had the same dilemma this year. I shoot at maybe 1 or 2 over 200. I kept the heavy gun for prairie dogs and an AR for coyotes. Good luck in making your decision.

A 16" barrel will do just fine at 200yrds would not worry a bit I have shot 4 out the back of my house in the fence row with a 22 Hornet at 200 yrds.

I think bullet choice is more important than barrel length for the most part. As long as you know ballistics. And I wouldn't worry until you get near 500 yards really, and then its bullet choice, if you reload.

I have the Fred Eichler and it shoots better than I can. Shoots 5 rounds within a 2" bull at 226 yds with a 3X9 Nikon P-233 scope mounted with Larue LT-104 mount with off the shelf 55 grain Hornady V-max.

You might consider RRA ATH or R3 with 18" barrels. Same wt. as FE. I have an R3 with the next size down TRO handguard and love it. Should give you slightly better ballistics down range.

When I'm not calling I do a lot of driving around and I end up taking a decent amount of shots 250 to 400ish out in fields and desert. I wish it was a 18" or 20" Barrel but I guess the point is to stay light weight.

I have had a pleasure of shooting two rra. Both are deadly accurate. Both will shoot through the same hole over and over and over. It's simply unbelievable how accurate they are right out of the box.

(quote) Both will shoot through the same hole over and over and over. It's simply unbelievable how accurate they are right out of the box. [/quote]

I have shot some good guns but never one that will shoot like that post some pics of that.

Last edited:
I am in agreement with toro and bryan H- I have been impressed with the "out of the box" accuracy of RRA rifles. Very well made IMO. I like the Fred Eichler model, but couldnt justify spending that much more for it. I wasnt too crazy about the handguard design either.

The F.E RRA is a cool rifle and I agonized for weeks over it and a couple other predator rifles. I ended up ordering a Stag Arms 3G rifle and am tickled pink with it! Clover leaf groups at a hundred with Barnes 55 gr VOR-TX TSX, so it don't get any better than that!

ptaylor138,

I don't have a F.E. series, but I do have an ATH (AWB Compliant model). It has an 18" barrel and weighs the same as the F.E. series. These Rock Rivers are accurate and the 1:8 twist is very accepting of a variety of bullet weights. The heavy barrel is also a nice profile and saves you some weight compared to a full bull barrel.

I would be comfortable shooting my ATH out to 325-350 yds if the wind was light and I was shooting from a bipod/prone position. I limit myself to

I recently got one of these rifles. Almost everything I shoot is 100 yards or less and It works well for my needs. Mine is very picky with ammo, HSP match 75 gr. BTHP= .5 MOA. Not real crazy about the footprints on hand guard nor F.E. name on mag well. Got a good deal on the price and the trigger, barrel-accuracy make it something I would recommend.

Back