Necessary tools to build AR for NewB

dan158

Unlike the pro who can subsitute this and that or dont need that and use this. But for the new guys to assemble an AR. What makes the job easier till learn the tricks. Should one just by the master tool kit or what would be good choice for new guys. Thanks. Dan

No a set of roll pin punches a roll pin holder #3 nylon headed hammer torque wrench armoure wrench upper vice block and lower mag block on eBay best price alot cheaper than the kit with craps you don't need..

Last edited:
Don't forget the little detent tool. I put a whole lower together with an ordinary chinsy tool kit but I had to bring it in to get the detent in one of the take down pins.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerDon't forget the little detent tool. I put a whole lower together with an ordinary chinsy tool kit but I had to bring it in to get the detent in one of the take down pins.

if you're a beginner battle arms makes a set a takedown pens that solves that problem they work great even if you're not a beginner

I will remember that. Cursing at it didn't help any.

I brought it into some police supply store, I was told by someone that they did AR work. I got there are the guy said they dont work on guns and they dont sell to the public, but he told me he had the detent tool in back and to come back in a couple hours and it would be read. Free of charge, some cops are good.

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerDon't forget the little detent tool. I put a whole lower together with an ordinary chinsy tool kit but I had to bring it in to get the detent in one of the take down pins.

if you're a beginner battle arms makes a set a takedown pens that solves that problem they work great even if you're not a beginner

http://shop.battlearmsdevelopment.com/media/EPS6.jpg

Black electical tape,wood block,brass round stock,small hammer,16 penny nail,stock wrench.....occasional 3rd hand.

X

go to youtube & search "how to build an ar15". Add lower or upper if you want to focus on each. Lot's and some will show you ways to do certain things easier, so watch lots of them.

The front takedown pin detent, for example. Turns out that a 1/4" clevus pin, that you can buy at home depot for less than $2, makes a great tool for that task.

Originally Posted By: coyotexBlack electical tape,wood block,brass round stock,small hammer,16 penny nail,stock wrench.....occasional 3rd hand.

X

The third hand would be for the bolt catch roll pin for sure.

You got it Bryan!....ive gotten really good on front detents.....for a newb,,, wear safety glasses for that and while threading in the buffer tube,,, and thank me later.

X

I should purchase extra springs then while I am at it? I tried to find a spare spring kit for ar and came up empty handed pretty much. Do they have kits with 5 or more of each common SB free flying springs?

I found one type of spring kit when searched. The only one I found at most online stores had the same kits that included upper and lower spring kit. The amazon link above had the "AR-15 Lost Parts Kit" That I was actually looking for. I ordered that one along with the AR15 Lower and Upper 11 Piece Spring Parts Kit. Also ordered the roll pin holder and punch set ,a barrel to reciever lapping tool, double face soft mallet also a "Frigidaire Igniter for Range" My oven quit working. Thank you. Dan

I got an upper vise block and armorers wrench on amazon for about 30 bucks. The upper vise block is pretty cheap, but it's worked to put several together.

The only one in building a lower that I found tricky was the front takedown pin. That little detent can & will get away with you. Did it to me twice & after the 2nd time I couldn't find it.

Replacements came in & this time I got it on the first try.

That does look like a bugger to put in without that tool. Thank you and will prob not need the extra springs and a few choice words going that route. But will have them on hand just in case. Thank you again. Dan

I had bought a tool from PSA for this, it was only about $5, but the clevus pin is cheaper.

So far that type of approach is the simplest I've found.

Back