What's in their stomachs?

DiRTY DOG

We use all kinds of strange sounds to call in predators. What's in their stomachs?

I've cut open several bobcats after skinning and they always have a handfull of small mice in their stomachs and occassionally a small bird. Looks like a black sludge with small bones, feet, tails, and sometimes a beak. I have never seen rabbit hair in a bobcat's belly.

All the foxes around here have bellies full of berries. No fur, feathers, or bones. Although I have seen a grey fox run across the road once with the back half of a jackrabbit in it's mouth.

Coyotes seem to have a little bit of everything.

What do you find in their stomachs?

Most if not all coyotes Ive opened up have field mice, p-dogs & other small rodents. Ive yet to see real rabbit parts in them thinking I would since the areas I have shot them in are over run w/rabbits.

I once called in a bobcat that came with a freshly killed cottontail rabbit in his mouth. Another time I called in and killed a coyote carrying a dead black and white house cat. There was only one house within 4 miles and we were calling less than 1/2 mile from it.

Many times we've walked around where we hunt and found fresh scat containing rabbit fur and bone fragments. Where I live now there are few rabbits but lots of mice. Maybe it has to do with where you're looking

Quote:I have never seen rabbit hair in a bobcat's belly.

I killed one this year with a whole rabbit in its stomach. Its belly was so big I cut it open just to see. It even had the rabbit skull (I found jawbone and teeth) in there.

I have also see a bobcat carrying a rabbit at night.

Even one caught on camera.

bobcat-rabbit_zpsbeb3050e.jpg

Bobcats eat a lot of squirrels and birds too.

Bobcatsquirrel_zps11e983f2.jpg

bobcat04-30-10119_zps76d37017.jpg

Deer.

bobcatkillingdeer1_zpse0a28672.jpg

bobcatonmuledeer_zps2bda7612.jpg

Sheep.

bobcat-attacking-sheep-leon-1_zps1071ea32.jpg

Turkey

bobcatturkey_zpsa53414f0.jpg

Last edited:
wow, cool photos! I found corn and clay in coyote poop when they didn't move for 4 days. I snared a cat in WY that had a rabbit in its mouth when it hit the loop. I found a tripped snare with half a rabbit in trail last fall. Another snare-trapper in my town had a deer leg in the snare. The other guy said the coyote came back and got snared next night.

Thanks everyone for sharing all the Great Pic's----I've opened a few coyotes with baby turkeys in their Belly also fawn deer --Up north here most coyotes have vension in the stomachs year round along with everything else----Years ago I use to save all the contents -stored in clean bottles and used it for trapping bait in the fall--Made great dirt hole sets ,,, p.s. Baby turkey Trio is a real good sound on your e-caller for coyote and fox[night calling works great eh!]
SVB

Last edited:
A couple years ago I killed a coyote just outside of town with a gut full of dog food. As it turned out, some idiot was dumping Alpo a bag at a time for the coons. I've never in my life seen so many coons in one place at the same time. There were over 30. She must have been feeding them for years.

It doesn't take long to get 30 coons together. We had a grain bin torn open for no more than a week after we moved livestock out and it looked like a plague in there. Killed 26 coons in one night.

I was in FL a couple of years ago and walking to our car and saw 25-30 coons swarming a dumpster in full light. With a couple of idiot adults with small children getting closer and closer so they could see the cute raccoon's. I told them what coons were capable of and they paid no attention.

Back