Heat applied to black oxide/phosphate?

Hooked

I have a small job coming soon where I will need to remove some inserts from 20 some rifle barrels.
These are all mil-spec Bushmaster with black coating on the barrel.
I have some long drill bits ordered and have made a couple of punches.
My thought is rather to drill these inserts out could I quickly and evenly heat the barrels with a rose bud without damaging the finish?
Said rifles will never be used with live rounds, just training exercises.

If they are not going to be used for live rounds why remove the inserts? Just trying to get it straight in my mind.

Originally Posted By: Shane64If they are not going to be used for live rounds why remove the inserts? Just trying to get it straight in my mind.

The rifles do not function correctly with these inserts in them.
A early design flaw of MILES Gear perhaps..not sure?
After the inserts are taken out then other devices are installed to prevent a live round from being chambered.
As far as I know these rifles were once used for duty/range service and then retired to training exercise use only, and I think the inserts were installed by some of the guys who have went to `armorers` training courses.
Just a tube that is inserted in the barrel but after a short amount of use there is not enough pressure available to cycle the rifle reliably.
They have sent several out to have the insert removed but it cost them big $$ me thinks.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I think you are going to end up burning some off with the heat. Are you making them chamber blanks?

No, the rifles will fire blanks, and there is another device that will be installed which prevents a live round from being chambered, and additionally they require a magazine that has been modified.

As far as the barrel finish, I asked in advance if that was important and they said no. Guess they could rattle can paint them flat black.
I can drill them out or partially drill them and then they may come right out, so I have options.
I guess they install from the muzzle end and may be just a size for size fit at the end or last few inches but not sure.

Well I found out today that extreme heat will ruin the black finish on the barrel.
Moderate heat, like say with a propane or map gas torch would probably cause no damage, but heating to a dull cherry red with a rose bud..lol
I putzed around with the heat and a punch for a couple of hours, before going to the lathe and just drilling out the inserts.
Extra long 7/32" drill bit from each end did the job, but the first x-long drill bit w/flutes the entire length caused too much chatter. The x-long bit with just a few inches of flutes did the job.
Did not have time to look and see what this style of long drill bit is called, but the tool crib attendant thinks aircraft drill.(?)

Back