Another shooting @ Ft Hood

Orneryolfart357

UPDATE via KCEN in Texas: Fort Hood, TX (KCEN) — We have reports of an active shooter on Fort Hood.

We have reports that there are several injuries from this shooting. There is at least one patient being transported to the hospital.

We are also getting reports of victims in the Battle Simulation Center on 65th and Warehouse.

The suspect is still at large. The shooter was said to be in building 33026 which is the Medical Brigade Building.

Fort Hood has been put on lockdown.

These are all preliminary reports.

A soldier suffering from "mental health issues" opened fire at Fort Hood Wednesday, killing three soldiers and injuring 16 before killing himself, a post Army general said.

Army Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, the senior officer at the facility, also said at an evening news conference that there was no indication of terrorism, but added "we're not ruling anything out."

He said the shooter, identified earlier as Spc. Ivan Lopez, was armed with a .45 caliber Smith & Wesson and killed himself when confronted by military police in a parking lot.

Milley said he did not know any motive for the incident, but the shooter, who had served four months in combat in Iraq in 2011, had "behavioral and mental health issues" and was being treated for those.

The shooter was married with a family and had arrived at Fort Hood in February, Milley said. He did not identify the shooter by name, saying his family had not yet been notified. However, senior U.S. officials earlier named Lopez as the shooter.

Milley said he could confirm three victims had been killed, along with the shooter, and 16 injured were at two hospitals in the area.

The shooting, which began around 4 p.m. local time, occurred in two buildings at the post, the scene of a 2009 shooting that left 13 soldiers dead.

The suspect had arrived at Fort Hood in February from another base in Texas. He was taking medication, and there were reports that he had complained after returning from Iraq about suffering a traumatic brain injury, Milley said. The commander did not elaborate.

An FBI official told Fox News there no initial indication that the gunman was motivated by any religiously-fueled ideology. "But it is still early in the investigation and we are not ruling anything out," the official said.

Late Wednesday, investigators had already started looking into whether the gunman's combat experience caused lingering psychological trauma. Among the possibilities they planned to explore was whether a fight or argument on base triggered the shooting.

"We have to find all those witnesses, the witnesses to every one of those shootings, and find out what his actions were, and what was said to the victims," a federal law enforcement official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case by name.

The official said authorities would begin by speaking with Lopez's wife and also expected to search his home and any computers he owned.

President Obama said the U.S. government will get to the bottom of what happened in the shooting, and said officials are doing everything they can to make sure everyone is secure.

"We're heartbroken that something like this might've happened again," Obama said.

Meanwhile, officials at Scott & White Hospital in Temple, Texas said late Wednesday that three of the nine patients brought there were in critical condition.

It was not immediately clear where the other surviving victims were being treated.

“It’s chaos,” a source outside the hospital told FoxNews.com earlier Wednesday. “I see lots of ambulances coming in. There are helicopters everywhere.”

The sheriff's office dispatched deputies and troopers from the Texas Department of Public Safety to the nearby Texas Army base, Bell County Sheriff's Office Lt. Donnie Adams said.

Earlier, Fort Hood ordered everyone at the base to "shelter in place." The order was sent on the base's Twitter feed and posted on its Facebook page.

The 1st Calvary Division, which is based at Fort Hood, had sent a Twitter alert telling people on base to close doors and stay away from windows.

Relatives of soldiers waited for news about their loved ones.

Tayra DeHart, 33, said she had last heard from her husband, a soldier at the post, that he was safe, but that was hours earlier.

"The last two hours have been the most nerve-racking I've ever felt. I know God is here protecting me and all the soldiers, but I have my phone in my hand just hoping it will ring and it will be my husband," DeHart said.

Brooke Conover, whose husband was on base at the time of the shooting, said she found out about it while checking Facebook. She said she called her husband, Staff Sgt. Sean Conover, immediately to make sure he was OK, but he could not even tell her exactly what was going on, only that the base was locked down.

"I'm still hearing conflicting stories about what happened and where the shooting was exactly," Conover said in a telephone interview, explaining that she still did not know how close the incident was to her husband.

"I just want him to come home," said Conover, who moved to Fort Hood with her husband and three daughters two years ago.

In 2009, U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Hasan, a psychiatrist who had become a radical Muslim while serving in the military, killed 13 people and injured dozens more inside the Army post in Killeen, Texas. Hasan, who represented himself at a military trial after clashing with his appointed attorneys, was sentenced to death in August

sure wish we had a president that would reverse clinton's EO from the 90's that ensured most personnel are disarmed while on base.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishsure wish we had a president that would reverse clinton's EO from the 90's that ensured most personnel are disarmed while on base.

When this news first broke, I remembered seeing a picture of Israeli Soldiers (women) at (IIRC)lunch time and all armed `to the teeth`..lol..this was after the first shooting.

Back