Extended lug armorers wrench?

goose_boy

Working on a build, some parts scrounged but new. Using a rifle length FF tube that I won at a shoot, packaged as Hogue with a car stock and grip. Got the barrel and decided to see how it looked. That's when I noticed the gas tube holes a normal armorers wrench engage are recessed about 7/16". No way my armorers wrench will get ahold of those! Does anyone make a wrench that will do this? I really don't wanna strap wrench this match barrel on, it just seems silly. I'll try to get pics in a bit.

Updated with pic.... Hopefully.
f4dbc16d2fd3a593cf0a60cba3bd26e2.jpg

If you have access to a welder you can easily make one. Or you can drill a couple holes in a piece of steel and use pins. Ends of drill bits would work to get the right fit.

Last edited:
this might be a dumb question but does that outer sleeve thread of the barrel nut?? Or is it one solid machines piece

Widow maker - I assume you mean using drill bit ends to size the holes. I do have a welder but most of my other good equipment is still in my hometown. Besides without cannibalizing an existing wrench or having a mill it would be extremely time consuming to make a wrench with 1/2" square socket hole and all the lugs. At that point I would just get a different forearm I think. Also would worry about the proper heat treat on the lugs, especially after welding.

Brownie - it is one solid machined piece. I looked twice because of how poorly it is thought out and engineered! They could have very easily reversed the male/female threads and actually reduced the machining required to make the parts, as well as use standard armorers tools. You know what they say, common sense isn't so common anymore....

Originally Posted By: Browniethis might be a dumb question but does that outer sleeve thread of the barrel nut??
What he said.

ati-ar-15-free-float-barrel-nut-500x500.jpg

Can you post a picture of the rest of the tube / parts

APC - see bottom of above post, it is indeed one piece of terrible engineering. Even put the wrench on the back side and gave it a crank in case I missed a seam. I'll get pics of the rest.

Last edited:
I've always just used a large strap-wrench. Rigid makes one that has a heavy 2" wide strap that works well. Just be very careful not to cave-in the threads!

Yeah I don't care for the Hogue custom barrel nut design at all either. I've used strap wrenches, modified strap wrenches, etc. Just a bad design IMO.

Recently I put a Samson on my RRA Coyote Carbine and can't believe the difference in design. Simple, rock solid, and great attachment options. The weight difference is insignificant. Oh and by the way a standard barrel nut.

Sendit

Hard to make good suggesTions without having the piece in my hands but would a ssecond barrel nut like the one APC posted thread into the inner threads of that price allowing you to use the holes on the second nut to tighten your one piece nut?? Hold that made sense

Makes perfect sense Brownie, good idea. It has super fine threads though so I doubt they would line up with much and even if they did I wouldn't trust torquing them.

I guess if a strap wrench is good enough for Mike it's darn sure good enough for me.

I'm looking into other hand guards, but hey this one was free!

Originally Posted By: BrownieHard to make good suggesTions without having the piece in my hands but would a ssecond barrel nut like the one APC posted thread into the inner threads of that price allowing you to use the holes on the second nut to tighten your one piece nut?? Hold that made sense

that was a great idea.

Use a strap wrench. We have been doing it that way since this style of barrel nut came out. AFAIK there is not a wrench out there. At least one I would trust to not bend or break when you torque the nut down.

Back