TV hunting shows, good or bad for the sport?

"I'll bet ya a lot of money, you would see the same response from them after taking a dog down, even IF the camera wasn't there.[/quote]"

I have to disagree here about Fred, I personally feel he has to save all that up for the show...

Originally Posted By: weekender "I'll bet ya a lot of money, you would see the same response from them after taking a dog down, even IF the camera wasn't there."

I have to disagree here about Fred, I personally feel he has to save all that up for the show...[/quote]

I agree with Skinney, especially after seeing a youtube video of Fred slapping a black bear on the a$$ as it was it his dumpster. Was like seeing a little kid on Christmas morning, just ridiculously excited the whole time.

I'm the exact same way when I do get something after my usual very long spells of no success. Takes a serious amount of willpower to keep calling when all I want to do is jump up and down. I'm equally excited when I do screw one up after the initial crushing frustration wears off. I get hit with a massive dose of adrenaline after every shot, even misses. It's what keeps it fun for me, other than the deliciousness of edible animals.

Originally Posted By: skinney "I'll bet ya a lot of money, you would see the same response from them after taking a dog down, even IF the camera wasn't there."

Originally Posted By: weekenderI have to disagree here about Fred, I personally feel he has to save all that up for the show...

Originally Posted By: jrcampbellI agree with Skinney, especially after seeing a youtube video of Fred slapping a black bear on the a$$ as it was it his dumpster. Was like seeing a little kid on Christmas morning, just ridiculously excited the whole time.

I'm the exact same way when I do get something after my usual very long spells of no success. Takes a serious amount of willpower to keep calling when all I want to do is jump up and down. I'm equally excited when I do screw one up after the initial crushing frustration wears off. I get hit with a massive dose of adrenaline after every shot, even misses. It's what keeps it fun for me, other than the deliciousness of edible animals.

Exactly, Fred has that [beeep] built up all day long... not just for the camera.

I think it even comes through in his words when he has some articles in Predator Nation.
I still laugh about that video, that bear didn't know what to think.

Quote:Granted, "Dog Soldier" is AWFUL and the Jerry Springer analogy is perfect. Lol! I could sure do without that one. Although, if you pay attention, he is pretty realistic - he'll hunt for days and be lucky to kill 3 coyotes to make the episode. Lol! He's really not very good and uses all the talking and BS to fill the space.

Man Im glad I was brought up so I could chime in. Yah I didnt have an epic year, I only killed 30 or so, so yes I was down.
Does that mean I was awfull and not good at it....?

Full disclosure( lol )- this is my 7th year hunting for Television.

Im not saying Im an expert and you will never find me saying so,but maybe I did have some bad trips but since we focus on production the shows were their. I had the balls to show it.

TV shows are a business and I treat it that way. Im a personality that does 3 TV shows, thats it. Nothing special and I admit it. My World Championship I won means nothing to me. You wanna know what means the most???
The fact that I can have a TV show, make a great living doing it, my kids are healthy, and be who I am and not who people want me to be.

INSERT FAMOUS QUOTE HERE:
"If you live to please everyone that b!tc^%'s about everything you do or accomplish, because that said person thinks they know the big picture, well, your as big of a d()mba$$ as he is!!!"
~DogSoldier

P.S. I know the full disclosure stunt was a "douche bag" move but it was already used once in this thread so I thought Id follow suit.

Really though, SouthTX Bowhunter. Nothing personal here just discussion. I respect your opinion. Will I change because of it??? No but I respect it. One question,,,,, May I ask what popular show you film for on th OC?

Last edited:
I don't mind watching your show, haven't seen anything yet that made me upset, seemed to be a decent show. Dead Dog Walking should be shut down, absolutely appalling. Les J. seems to be not what really happens, some stuff looks odd, like it is filmed after the fact. Also some scenes showed him walking on the skyline, jerking gun into place to shoot? I am ready to shoot as soon as the coyote appears.

Some are ok. I enjoy foxpro furtakers and SCI. SCI in particular never even says what gun he is using. They don't portray him road hunting most the time. I also like wingshooting usa. There are very few upland shows and most are just pheasant and bobwhites on pay to hunt places.

Many shows are really bad though and I think do a lot of harm to the public opinion. I have seen some where they are jumping out the truck and plucking off the deer just 5 feet from the rig. That is far from sporting or fair chase.

I do think a lot of people see predator shows and decide to buy a bunch of crap. They go out a few times and have no clue what they are doing. After a couple days with no dogs they never really go again. I have met a dozen people who have an E call. None of those people have ever called in a dog with it.

I enjoy some of the tv shows, I like the FoxPro FurTakers enjoy watching Big Al , Steve and Dog Soldier is a good show , Jeffs predator pursuit is great , Freds show is great also , don't care for dead dog walking

I enjoy some of the shows.I wish they talked about bullet performance,fur friendly or not ect. I wonder if some of these guys dont pay a heavy price for there success by turning something they love into work.I loved fishing but when I became a guide on lake of the woods it turned fishing into work and I only did it one year.I like seeing the different scenery and the different fur qualities in different states.Randy Anderson dosn't have a show but he is by far my favorite to watch,just my kind of people.I cringe at the way the fur flies all to often though,the Taxidermist in me.

last dog soldier show had way too much talk, not much hunting. I dont enjoy shows that stop every minute or so to give info on what is happening, seems like they talk more than hunt. The heavy metal is mostly noise to me, the worse music I know of is metal, pop, disco, and gangster rap.

Thank God for my DVR. I can watch most 30 minute shows in 6 to 8 minutes. I don't want to watch a bunch of guys sitting around their living room BS'ing. I don't want to watch the kill in slow motion 4 times. I don't want to watch the final approach in reverse. I don't want to watch a bunch of grown men dress up like they are bounty hunters. I don't want to watch some guy miss a standing coyote at 75 yards and then hits him with the 5th shot at a dead run at 400. It's even worse when his buddy yells " Nice shot!" I want to see actual real life hunting footage.

I think Les Johnson and Steve Criner do the best job. Although Steve's intro is pretty corny, he does a good job and seems to be someone I would hunt with. I won't even watch anything that has Randy Anderson in it. Yes sir, I love my DVR.

Originally Posted By: C_latransThank God for my DVR. I can watch most 30 minute shows in 6 to 8 minutes. I don't want to watch a bunch of guys sitting around their living room BS'ing. I don't want to watch the kill in slow motion 4 times. I don't want to watch the final approach in reverse. I don't want to watch a bunch of grown men dress up like they are bounty hunters. I don't want to watch some guy miss a standing coyote at 75 yards and then hits him with the 5th shot at a dead run at 400. It's even worse when his buddy yells " Nice shot!" I want to see actual real life hunting footage.

I think Les Johnson and Steve Criner do the best job. Although Steve's intro is pretty corny, he does a good job and seems to be someone I would hunt with. I won't even watch anything that has Randy Anderson in it. Yes sir, I love my DVR.

Good grief, you read my mind!
laugh.gif

I just picked up hunting this year, and frankly the shows on TV have been very valuable since I don't have anyone to play professor; my husband hunted growing up, but he only hunted deer and lost interest even in that over the years. As such, my major teachers have been Youtube and the Outdoor Channel. Once you get past all of the advertising, tens of thousands of dollars of superfluous gear, and blond bimbos in pink camo, there's still some good info in the TV shows for complete noobs like me. Professional filming does a much better job of picking up animal movements so you can see how animals are likely to approach, what good calling sounds like, and wind direction based upon vegetation movements (and the critter moving with or against it) than amateur video does more often than not.

There's no doubting though that they give a very poor impression of what hunting is really like and for those who decide to pick it up without having a solid understanding of wildlife in the first place, they are going to be sorely disappointed and for that reason, completely agree with everyone who has spoken in favor of more "realistic" hunting shows. I joked with my husband that I was going to make a Youtube channel called "Fat Chick Hunting" that showcased end-of-season sale gear from big-box stores and all public walk-in areas, all the time, and he thought it would be a big hit.

But- but-- BlindTyldak,, the "blond bimbos in pink camo" are the only thing I like about the hunting shows..

Originally Posted By: doaBut- but-- BlindTyldak,, the "blond bimbos in pink camo" are the only thing I like about the hunting shows..

Did someone say "Eva"... stop it, just stop it, I'm getting too far off track
w00t.gif

Okay, okay, I'll give you the blond bimbos. Sometimes I don't know whether I'd hug Tiffany for keeping people interested in hunting and bringing more people into the sport (especially her mom) or smack her for her squealing. *laughs*

Originally Posted By: BlindTyldakOkay, okay, I'll give you the blond bimbos. Sometimes I don't know whether I'd hug Tiffany for keeping people interested in hunting and bringing more people into the sport (especially her mom) or smack her for her squealing. *laughs*

I would say the latter
wink.gif

I actually met Tiffany at a Bass Pro Shop several years ago. While I don't care for the show, or most of the other hunting shows as I stated in the original post, she was very gracious. Oh, and she is probably the best "gross" I have ever seen.
tongue_smilie.gif

Back