Callin in lions

Countrystrong

Have you been able to call a lion in before? And what sounds did you use? I have called i believe a younger lion in 3 times at night with an ap6 mouthcall he will get behind dense cover and scream then move 20 yards in a different direction and scream again. Haven't been able to get a shot at him. I found out a friend of mine has a lion problem so might go try to call him in. Any tips for callin in lions?

Originally Posted By: BaldknobberTry rain-shadow.com, he has some good info on this site.
2nd that.
thumbup1.gif

Can you use e callers where your at? If so have a series of 4 or 5 sounds preset. Change each sound very 3 to 4 minutes. Be one stand for at least 60 minutes. I have stayed on stand for a hour and twenty before. This is all day time by the way. Fawn distress , wounded jack, some lion vocals. Just to name a few. If there is a cat in the area you don't necessarily need fawn distress sounds. They are cats and found they are just as curios as house cats. So play around. And yes I third the rain shadow calls. Good luck. Feel free to ask anymore questions. It helps to know what other animals are in the area as well. Good luck!
Corey

We had luck this Nov calling a lion in here in western nd. Quite the rush. 2 year old male 135lbs I have a story on here somewhere labels " got us a ND cat" or something like that. Took us 45 mins and about 5 diff calls

They aren't terribly difficult to call but in my experience they aren't going to travel the distances some coyotes will to respond. Being fairly close improves your chances. Rabbit, deer sounds work good. With an e-call you can add lion vocals. I've had luck with that. With the short lion season and no hounds the lion population has soared in this state. You now have "prides" of lions in some areas. Last year I went on a 3 day hunt and everywhere I parked my truck I found lion tracks on virtually every woods road I walked down. Unfortunately, no takers on that trip. I think a lot of people call them in and don't know it. Getting them to expose themselves is the hard part sometimes. When I call coyotes in the lion off season I've had several young and large adult lions come check out the noise. I didn't have this happen nearly as often as in the last 10 years. Being the season is so short I'm considering taking a camera instead and calling in the off season.

Good luck

Back