Daytime Coyote Calling in the East?

MPH

Hi folks...I'm from Pennsylvania and do my coyote hunting at night January through March. Wondering if anyone on the east coast is successful hunting coyotes during the day. I'd appreciate if you have shot at one during the day, could you please share:

What state?
What month?
What time of day?
What call?

Thank you!
smile.gif

In Mass. we're not supposed to use lights or centerfires at night and have to stop at midnight, I think. Called in 7, shot at 4 this winter, only got one. Two came in to group howls the rest came in to Lightning Jack. All came in between 9:30am and 11:30 am.

You can kill coyotes 24 hours a day. If you hunt in the daylight hours they best times seem to be First light and last light. I have killed a lot of coyotes mid day hours when it's cold and cloudy.

Originally Posted By: MPHHi folks...I'm from Pennsylvania and do my coyote hunting at night January through March. Wondering if anyone on the east coast is successful hunting coyotes during the day. I'd appreciate if you have shot at one during the day, could you please share:

What state? Ontario Canada, just on the other side of Lake Erie
What month? Dec-March
What time of day? first 2.5 hrs of first light and the last hour before dark
What call? mainly a dying rabbit or chicken distress followed by coyote pup distress

Thank you!
smile.gif

No night hunting allowed here in Ontario Canada

Originally Posted By: duckstopperIn Mass. we're not supposed to use lights or centerfires at night and have to stop at midnight, I think. Called in 7, shot at 4 this winter, only got one. Two came in to group howls the rest came in to Lightning Jack. All came in between 9:30am and 11:30 am.

Do I understand correctly that you are successful using coyote vocalizations during daylight? Do the coyotes in MA vocalize during daylight hours?

Originally Posted By: MPHHi folks...I'm from Pennsylvania and do my coyote hunting at night January through March. Wondering if anyone on the east coast is successful hunting coyotes during the day. I'd appreciate if you have shot at one during the day, could you please share:

What state? Pennsylvania
What month? Any Month
What time of day? Daylight til noon (usually head home to spend time with the family)Don't hunt 'em much midday, have yet to have any luck in the afternoon.
What call? Mainly howls followed by a distress

Thank you!
smile.gif

Do I understand correctly that you are successful using coyote vocalizations during daylight? Do the coyotes in MA vocalize during daylight hours?

Both times my partner was running his Foxpro with "Group Howls". He was about 150 yards from me and both time coyotes responded and were heading towards him when I shot.

2nd week in March (season was closed) I was picking up my trail camera from a bait on one side of the road. On the other side of the road a coyote howled and another (female responded with yips) he howled 3 or 4 times she responded, each time getting closer together. Then they stopped. Time was about 10:00am. Only ones I heard howl in the daytime.

I call only during the daylight hear in MA. First light and last light are always best. However, have taken dogs mid day no problem. Have had 15 come into calling set this season which we have seen, with 8 dogs down. Had three last sunday in RI and missed an easy shot for a zilch. Got even on Thurs after work and coaxed one into my gun after chatting with it for 35 minutes.
RI dog during daylight..
[img:left][/img]

Sheesh...I got so fired up I forgot to answer your question!! Yes MA and RI dogs vocalize during daylight, first light and late light seem to be the trick. I have heard them bark and challenge during the day but they are not particularly vocal during the light hear. I have been throwing the kitchen sink at them. Sometimes start with female vocalizations and go to voles, rabbits. Did great two weeks ago hand calling over mobbing crows. Moved three dogs (all on different sets) when I Ki-yi ed during crow mob and got two of them. Two dos in two different sets last week in less than a minute on rabbit distress..same area too. When you are on them..it goes quick i guess. Dog in pic above howled and barked back to me for 35 mins..I just repeated sounds and when it went quiet for 10 mins used rabbit distress for two mins. Dog surprised me from the right at 10 yards and I howled it to a stop at 85yards. Got lucky as it turned broadside and hesitated. Good shot placement put it down instantly.

Off to the west coast this week for work, and maybe get a day out in Spokane next sat and sunday. Hope so!!

What state?
Georgia

What month?
Any

What time of day?
Daylight until 10 AM, afternoon 4:00 PM until dark. The last hour of daylight is my absolute favorite time for yotes.

What call?
Distress calls, especially rabbit and woodpecker. Other than at night, our yotes only howl sporadically at dawn and dusk. In 40+ years, I've never heard a yote in Georgia howl when the sun was up.

Back