The Wife's First

tx_cornhusker

Cats!! My wife has never went calling with me but has heard the stories of triple coyotes called in NE and a 4 cat night in Tx. In the last couple years her ears have perked up about calling in a cat. So we planned a weekend, just me and her, to call on our place in between Jacksboro and Springtown Tx. Our niece flew down from NE to take care of the manchild and we were off. First time we've hunted since she was pregnant with our first. As it turns out she's pregnant with out second now. I digress.

Friday we get to camp and get things set up. Need to hurry b/c she won't night hunt. I have very few open areas on our place to call. Especially for someone that doesn't shoot much anymore but is a good shot. Set up on a high line cut near one of the creeks. Start calling and I get vocalizations back from the east. Minutes later she sees a cat(she's sure it's a mt lion) about 300 yards out crossing the cut to our north. We wait these cats out for another 30 mins. No sign of either. I know I have at least the one close so at last light I switch the call to cardinal distress. A min later she says, there he is!! She hammed his arse at 40 yards. Band flop DRT in the chest with her .223 WSSM.

Next day we sleep in, go to town, naps, feeders filled etc. I try to convince her to try a different area. She's having none of it. So we get in the area quite a bit earlier. Let things cool down a good 20 mins or so and let her listen to a couple different sounds quick. After we start calling for real Mandy hears a "meow" to our left. Right after that a cat is headed up the high line out of the creek straight ahead of us and he's on a rope. Ol' boy sees the decoy at about 75 yards and puts the breaks on. He doesn't move an inch for a couple mins literally. Gave Momma time to calm down because I could hear her heart beating through her breathing. He starts to turn broadside to boogy out and I tell her to hammer him. Barely said that and BOOM! He took a weird leap into the brush. I questioned her about her shot and she was sure she hit him in the shoulder. Let him rest for a while and at last light we went to look. Didn't see him close to where she shot him so we backed out and I went to check later. Longer story short, we found him Sunday morning at daybreak. 3 legged old Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Red, Glenn, and Hater. Was a great weekend of calling and being able to pee w/o a two year old between your legs looking up at the happenings asking, what are you doing daddy? Lol Momma and I had an epic weekend!

Congrats on the cats. I know what you mean about being able to go in peace. We have 3 and it's a more than full-time job. I plan on getting my wife her first yote and hopefully cat this year. Also, congrats on another on the way.

As my husband would tell you "you may have created a monster!"
Very pretty bobcats!!

Congrats on the child you have and the one on the way. The whole never getting to pee in peace thing doesn't stop as they get older. My daughter is 10 and I still can't go to into the bathroom without her soon following!

Originally Posted By: Oconee PlottsAs my husband would tell you "you may have created a monster!"
Very pretty bobcats!!

Congrats on the child you have and the one on the way. The whole never getting to pee in peace thing doesn't stop as they get older. My daughter is 10 and I still can't go to into the bathroom without her soon following!

No kidding! 10, 8 and 6 and the do the same.

awesome write up ad congrats on the cats amd the baby. did the WSSM tear them up? sounds like mamas a god luck charm better stat taking her out more often while you can.

Fantastic!!!
thumbup.gif

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: Brownieawesome write up ad congrats on the cats amd the baby. did the WSSM tear them up? sounds like mamas a god luck charm better stat taking her out more often while you can.

No that round doesn't tear them up very bad as long as you use a soft point. Yeah she's my good luck charm for sure.
thumbup1.gif

Back