removing the bolt handle on a savage?

BOBTAILS

How easy is it to remove the bolt handle on a savage bolt? I see where you insert a allen wrench on the back of it. I am wanting to get my bolt handle dipped so can anyone out the tell if the is something special I need to do before I loosen it or after. Rob.

The bolt holding the handle on will most likely be pretty tight the first time you take it off so clamp the bolt handle lightly in a vise and use an allen wrench to loosen it up. Nothing special about taking it apart if that's all your doing, just pay attention to which way the handle came off and put it back on the same way. There wont be any parts flying out if that's what your wondering.

Man you guys are brave! Ain't no way I'm taking a bolt apart. Personally I'd be asking someone with gunsmithing experience to do that one for me. Good luck for several reasons including re-torquing, etc!

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoMan you guys are brave! Ain't no way I'm taking a bolt apart. Personally I'd be asking someone with gunsmithing experience to do that one for me. Good luck for several reasons including re-torquing, etc!

Thats the beauty of Savages. If you have the mechanical ability to change spark plugs in your truck, you can do most anything to a Savage rifle, especially if you become a member over at Savage Shooters. This gets you access to all of the tech articles.

As for changing the bolt handle, place the bolt on the floor on a padded surface. With the bolt face pointing towards you, roll it over so that the bolt handle is facing the left. Now place the correct size allen wrench in the bolt so that it sticks up at a 45 degree angle. Now place your left foot on the bolt body and handle. Place your right foot on the allen. One good bounce on the allen wrench will break the bolt loose.

WARNING if the bolt has never been removed before, it will make a CRACK sound that will make you sure that you broke something. You didn't hurt anything, thats just the sound they make when they let go.

Obviously you have never played with a savage. The bolts are ridiculously simple and doesn't require that it be torqued to a certain value when its put back together. If you have a brain in your head you can disassemble a savage bolt. The only thing on a bolt action savage that resembles complicated is the trigger assembly, but even then they are pretty simple.

Does this go for the newer models with trigger release in front of the trigger guard? How do i stop the pin inside the allen head of the bolt from coming out? Seems the only way is to do it with the bolt closed....but then u have to open it to remove the knob....im confused. I need a visual aid.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoMan you guys are brave! Ain't no way I'm taking a bolt apart. Personally I'd be asking someone with gunsmithing experience to do that one for me. Good luck for several reasons including re-torquing, etc!

Basic bolt maintenance should be part of owning a firearm.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSYou guys are right nothing to it!
I was beat to it, was going to tell you how easy it is on a Savage.

probably just making sure the search eng is still working
smile.gif

Back