Cats

arcticfly

Hi!

This is my fist post on this forum, so let me introduce my self. My name is Alex, and I am from Norway. I am a deer/moose hunter primary, but I am allso an avid nature photographer. This is what brings me here to this forum. I am just back from Spain where I called in Iberian lynx quite successfully to photograph.

[img:left]http://lh4.ggpht.com/pLxXqnaDVbFx_Krqzsj...3uCmwDALH=s1500[/img]

Now I want to try calling in the other big cats, and would like to know if you guys think it is possible to call in a Jaguar? I am looking at going to Brazil this summer to find jaguars. I don´t think they have heard a foxpro before, so if they can be called, they should respond. What do you guys think?

My next question is about lynx. I have gathered that the Scandinavian lynx are more difficult to call compared to the Iberian and Canadian lynx, but it can be done. would you be able to tell me how and where you put your callers? do you put them in valleys or high in the terrain? Do you know of a cat calling 101 somewhere? I had the most success setting my caller up in small clearings where I found lots of rabbit droppings, usually in hilly terrain, when I called the Iberian lynx, but as the Scandinavian lynx are bigger and primary kill deer, they might prefer different terrain?

Hope you can show me the way :)

Regards
Alex

Allex,,Welcome to the website...I've never had the pleasure of calling in a cat, other than feral house cats
w00t.gif
unless they came in and I missed seeing them, so I can't be much help in your quest...Around the central U.S. they are much smaller and very hard to spot in our wooded areas..

I just wanted to compliment you on your photography...That is calendar or magazine quality photography and glad to see some various kinds, especially from different countries...Good luck with the Jaguar...

Thank you :)

I might also go to Chile on the same trip to photograph mountain lions, and I know there is some expertise on MT Lions here on the board :)

Here is another photo of the Iberian Lynx:

url]

That is a pretty cat for sure. I have no experience calling in the above mentioned cats. Wish I could help. That is a really good picture though.

I've called in a lot of bobcats and usually set up for them adjacent to areas of extremely thick cover or swamps. They frequently take 30 minutes or so to come to the call. Since cats are visual predators, motion decoys work well to attract their attention away from you.

Never been to Brazil, but have had jaguars 100 yards outside of camp in Peten, Guatemala, north of the village of Carmelita. Also saw cougars and jaguarundis there too. If I were to hunt jaguars there, I would probably try to find a tapir or monkey in distress sound, if such a thing can be had. Don't know about jaguar mating vocals or when their mating season is. Be careful though. Heard at least one story of a jaguar preying on a local. You don't want the first hint of a jaguar's presence being the sound of his canines entering the back of your skull.

Beautiful photos, by the way!

Last edited:
I was thinking of ankering up in a boat when calling in jaguars. Do not have the guts sitting in the bush 15 yards away frome one of them. They seem to stalk the shorelines for prey down there. Think it would be difficult to get a tapir distress sound :) But I will defenetly try to find something they are used to.

I am sure a jaguar was watching me in the costa rican jungle once, but I could never see it. Just the feeling and some nervous monkeys around. Could be me they were afraid for and my imagination that was running wild though... Nothing like the feeling of being stalked by a big predator...

Originally Posted By: arcticflyI was thinking of ankering up in a boat when calling in jaguars. Do not have the guts sitting in the bush 15 yards away frome one of them. They seem to stalk the shorelines for prey down there. Think it would be difficult to get a tapir distress sound :) But I will defenetly try to find something they are used to.

I am sure a jaguar was watching me in the costa rican jungle once, but I could never see it. Just the feeling and some nervous monkeys around. Could be me they were afraid for and my imagination that was running wild though... Nothing like the feeling of being stalked by a big predator...

Nothing like the feeling of sleeping under mosquito netting in a four pole thatch roof open sided "tent" with a jaguar coughing 100 yards out there in the darkness after the generator is shut off.
scared.gif
I was curled around my shotgun so tightly that night I believe I technically may have inadvertently had sex with it.

I would imagine pig in distress would be a good facsimile of tapir in distress, and, if not, pigs are pretty ubiquitous, so a jaguar is likely to know what that sound means.

pigs in distress is quite universal I reckon. Maybe some deer sounds as well. I"m sure a shotgun or a revolver would be nice to have, but don´t think the rangers would be too impressed ;-) Would pepperspray work on cats? The problen is that they have killed you before you know they are there I suppose...

The collared peccary is native to Brazil, and I imagine they sound close enough to a feral pig that a cat wouldn't be picky. Don't know if pepperspray works on cats, but probably would IF you had advance notice enough to deploy it. One thing I learned in my discussions about the local being eaten by the jaguar is that big cats usually take you from behind. This unfortunate soul had stepped off the trail to relieve himself. His buddy found him with squatted with his pants at half mast whilst the jaguar was munching on his skull. Apparently, the opium workers in Asia wear hats with large painted or glued on eyeballs on the backs of the hats to deter tiger attacks, and this idea has also caught on in areas of Central America. I was told it was effective in that it confuses the cat by disrupting his sneak attack from the rear. Makes sense, and sure couldn't hurt.

articfly You might try National Geographic, they usually have sounds for any animal that they can get research on. Anyway it is worth a try.

Good idea on the eyes!

I shall try national geographic, but I would think they have more common sounds and not distress sounds? Can´t hurt to try anyway. Thanks

Originally Posted By: arcticflyGood idea on the eyes!

Hey, untold numbers of poppy, coca plant and marijuana growers trust their lives with it!
tt2.gif

Welcome to the forum! I can't offer and advice for the hunt you have planned but I AM drooling at the thought of doing a hunt like that. LOL! The look of Jealousy on my face right now is probably priceless! LOL!

Have a great hunt and please do a writeup with loads of pix!

Alex - Welcome to the forum. Your photography is world class quality! Thank you for sharing those photos. I especially like the second one. May I use it for my computer desktop background?

Thanks and good luck on your future photoshoots.

Back