E caller true working distance

ADAM25

Ok guys, what electronic caller has the longest working remote range. I've hunted with friends before and we can only set the caller out about 50 yards. (even with caller hung up out of the grass). They are advertised to work at over 100, but don't work out that far. I would like to get a electronic caller, but I want it to work out to well over 100 yards. Have any of you found one that you use that fits the bill? Thanks in advance.

Any of the FoxPro models that use FHSS technology, the Prairie Blaster, the CS-24C, the Fury, the Krakatoa, or the Shockwave. I have field tested all of those models with both the TX-500 and the TX-1000 remotes and any of them will work at well over 100 yds.

I have field tested the f0XPr0 Fury, Sh0CkWAve and CS24C out to 200 yards and all of them worked consistently at 200 yards. I usually only sit the caller 50-100 yards from me but I wanted to check out FHSS technology and I found that it works very well.

You won't be sorry with any of the top FoxPro units. Something you might consider in making your decision is you can operate a Shockwave or a Fury without the remote, which could be important to you. Also, you don't have to use any tools to open the Shockwave or Fury to add/change sounds. All have plenty of volume and the FHSS technology.

Originally Posted By: ADAM25 Ok guys, what electronic caller has the longest working remote range. I've hunted with friends before and we can only set the caller out about 50 yards. (even with caller hung up out of the grass). They are advertised to work at over 100, but don't work out that far. I would like to get a electronic caller, but I want it to work out to well over 100 yards. Have any of you found one that you use that fits the bill? Thanks in advance.

Just wondering, but how often do you have the caller that far away? I don't think I've ever put mine more than 60-70 yards (max) away. Out of curiousity, are there certain factors involved that have made you more successful by placing the e-box past 100 yards; such as coyote wariness, type of terrain, time of day, seasonal differences, etc.? That is, what circumstances do you find yourself where having the call box so far away is beneficial? I've used e-callers quite a bit, but maybe I'm missing out on some stuff. Thanks for sharing.

just bumping it up to see if anybody has an opinion on setting the e-caller over 100 yards away (benefits, that is). Seems like everyone wants a caller with 100+ yard remote capability but not many actually ever put it out that far. I know I don't. Anybody want to weigh in? I've never been in a situation where I felt like it needed to be that far away but would love to hear reasons/circumstances when it would be benefical.

I just think that most people feel that an ecaller that works well at ranges over 100 yds will surely work easily at practical ranges. The only time I have ever placed an ecaller that far is for testing purposes.

Originally Posted By: BUXH8MEjust bumping it up to see if anybody has an opinion on setting the e-caller over 100 yards away (benefits, that is). Seems like everyone wants a caller with 100+ yard remote capability but not many actually ever put it out that far. I know I don't. Anybody want to weigh in? I've never been in a situation where I felt like it needed to be that far away but would love to hear reasons/circumstances when it would be benefical.

Actually, I have.

But, in particular circumstances. The mostly wide open area around the headquarters at the Texas ranch out in west Texas. There are coyotes that satellite around the headquarters, as is the case around most ranch headquarters in the area. They come in and kill chickens, cats, or whatever, and are not afraid of vehicles much, but do keep their distance somewhat. It's a very large pasture, and if you try and walk out there and call, you will have tired legs, and not many stands.

I take my truck out into the pasture and find a likely spot where I can see all directions, and place the caller out 100 to 150 yards from it. I get back to the truck and let things settle a bit and start calling. Usually I use my Fury that has FHSS, so the range isn't a question with the remote. Usually, I call soft enough that I can't hear the volume at first. I look in 360 degrees around the truck, as you don't really know where the coyotes will come from.

Also, I have the driver's and passenger window down to shoot from the truck. If I see a coyote coming from an odd angle, I exit the truck, and using the truck itself as cover, I make my way around it for the shot.

I have killed a BUNCH of coyotes this way. It works, and so does the Fury...flawlessly. Much the same as me using a FoxPro on my regular stands, I want the caller away from my position, and the coyote focusing on the sound location, and not MY location.

Hunting at night from a truck, FoxPro has new caller that is the best for that type of calling. At night, you want the sound coming from the truck you are hunting out of so that when you are scanning with the light, the coyote will be looking at the area the sound is coming from, and you can get his eye reflection.

There's one scenario. I'm sure there are others, but that one works from me.
smile.gif

The reason I love to set the caller out 100 yards or more. I hunt in a lot of open country and what has worked well is setting the caller directly up wind banking on the coyotes trying to get down wind of the sound. In my experience they do a lot I would say 80% of the time. Another plus is there attention is focused away from my location allowing the ability to move shooting sticks or shift my body to enable me to make a better shot.
Another reason is hunting around the lake. Setting the call on the shore line of a cove going to the opposite side with the wind blowing from the call across the water to shooting position. Works pretty good. They cant get down wind of the call so they end up exposing them selves on the shore for an open shot.Sometimes its hard to hide the boat.

I've tested my shockwave @ 210 yards when I first got it and it worked perfect. It was in the woods about 60 yards at the end of a field.

I had my Fury II sitting on the bed cover on my truck. I quit walking away at 450 yds. It was still working at that range. I usually dont set mine more than 30 yards away. I would rather get the coyote in close and get him with the shotgun.

Thanks ADAM25 and rockinbbar. I too like to position the caller upwind and away from my position, but have never done it greater than 100yards. I'll have to try that in late winter when the coyotes are a little more educated.

Back