LaRue Tactical PredatAR

archer_204

Well, I finally put my name "on the list" at Larue for a Larue PredatAR in 5.56. Labored over whether to go 16.5 or 18 inch barrel and went with 18. I may change the order to a 16.5...Can't decide.

I did get a follow up email to an email of mine asking for "time frame for delivery". I recieved a response of 14 to 24 months! Has anyone here got a PredatAR from Larue? What are your thoughts? Two years is a LONG time to wait for a gun, but fortunately I have plenty of AR's to play with while I wait.

Reviews look great, maybe the build time will move up for you. Depending on expected use, the 18" may be about perfect. What kind of trigger do they put in? If you plan range or hunting primarily, maybe spring off the get-go with a lighter hunting/target trigger?

I imagine you'll get to testing it out in a prairie dog town?

They use Geissele Triggers. I will use it as a coyote calling rig. I actually ordered a 16 and an 18 for now and will cancel one depending on whether or not I decide to go "suppressed"...If I end up with a suppressor I will go 16. If not, I will go 18.

funny how 2" can make a man go crazy. Had a friend order one then cancel...he couldn't wait. I'd like one in .308 with 20" barrel...but I'd order a GAP-10 or P.O.F and get it in before Larue even started machining mine...

Hang in there OP, it'll be well worth the wait when eventually your day comes and it's a purchase you'll never regret...DO NOT CANCEL IT WHILE WAITING! HANG IN THERE

The lead times are way out @ Larue not only because of a bulk load of orders on the books but also because they've been working awhile at making their own barrels and getting all their primary manufacturing under one roof. Previously they used all Lothar Walther polygonal barrels but I think the consensus is that they stopped using them due to availability, it was a huge constraint in their supply chain system. I would imagine once they perfect the barrel making process they'll pull in the lead times a little. Also, they don't charge you up front to "get in line" so you have to suspect a lot of people pull out before the rifle is ready to ship or when the bill comes.

Back in "the day" before all this madness their lead time was only about 4 weeks. I think you'll like the lightweight barrel and handguard of the predaTar because I know my heavy barrel with a scope on it can be a pain to haul around the woods. Hopefully one day they'll sell the predaTar upper separately, until then I just keep mine stripped down during hunting season to keep it as light as possible. By going with the 18" barrel you'll gain some velocity and have a little more punch down range, I haven't found my 18" to be too long in the field. I ended up putting the Geissele high speed adjustable in mine and its unbelievable.

Check back when you get it and put up a review, doesn't seem like too many guys on here have them.

I cancelled the 18 and went 16 as I will have a suppresser hanging on the end of this one. I'll be patient, got plenty of AR's to pass the time. This should be the ultimate calling rig.

Back