Open reed vs. closed reed

Lefty SRH

Im asking this for myself and all the new rookies.
What are the pros and cons to each call, open and closed reed? Is there an advantage to using one or the other based on the situation? When should one be used vs. the other?
Or is it simply personal preference.

Someone else can come along and add to this but here are a few things off the top of my head.

Open reed calls have a longer "learning curve" to them, while closed reed calls are easier to use at first. Closed reed calls are easier to get the same consistent sound out of. That being said, an open reed call is usually more versatile in that you can get several different sounds out of one call. Open reed calls are also less prone to freezing up in cold weather. Since closed reed calls are made from metal (most of them at least) in cold weather they will freeze up faster.

As far as situational advantages, I think it comes down to personal preference really.

Comparing open reed and closed reed, in my N=1 experience is really a discussion about distress calls. When it comes to howlers, open reeds are the only game worth playing (bite reeds maybe, but they're not in your discussion).

So discussing distress calls...

Closed reed is bread and butter, straight forward, easy to play, easy to learn. Limited on pitch it can produce, so it can only be used to make one sound, or a few sounds at best (some closed reed cottontails can be made to cluck like a chicken pretty well). The caveat I'd offer is that closed reed howlers are out there, and none of them work very well (MAD Cherry, Knight & Hale EZ Howler, Buck Gardner 2Fur), so again, howlers are a different discussion.

Open reed is far more versatile, but takes a bit more skill, therefore has a longer learning curve. Callers can slide up and down the reed, changing the natural resonating frequency of the reed and giving the caller control over the pitch. This means one reed/toneboard can be used to play a number of different sounds.

What you use will ultimately be personal preference. Some guys like the simplicity and "bubba-proof" nature of closed reed calls, some guys worry about reeds freezing or want more versatility in their lanyard, so they use open reed calls.

So open reeds have the advantage of versatility, closed reeds have the advantage of simplicity.

Yes i was mainly refering to distress calls. Consistant sounds on my open reeds are my trouble. I cant seem to make my open reeds sound like my closed distress. Another thing i noticed is my closed reed just SCREAMS where my opens dont seem quite as loud. My closed also seems to be very raspy compared to my opens.

Originally Posted By: Bees OBrienyou will never make an open reed sound like a closed reed. thats the idea of using both types. to get more sounds in the field.

I suppose that's something I left out of my last post. I run 4 calls on my lanyard. Usually 2 open and 2 closed reeds, a closed coaxer and a closed cottontail, then an open distress and an open distress/howler. I can make pretty much every sound I'd ever need with those 4 calls. If I need a big dog howler, I usually have it in a pouch on my vest, rather than a lanyard.

Hi Lefty!

If your open reed is not cranking like your enclosed reed, I think you might just need to 'go nuts' when you blow it. Sometimes you have to really jump on it, and get really animated when you call.

Remember, you have a much larger reed and a much larger air channel to blast through to get the sound (compared to a tiny stainless steel enclosed reed).

Blow from the gut, choke and muffle the call more. When you choke off the exhaust end, you build up back pressure that will let the sound explode when you uncork it.

Let the hosses run! LOL!

Rudy

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHAnother thing i noticed is my closed reed just SCREAMS where my opens dont seem quite as loud.

Open reed calls will have a bigger reed over a longer air channel, so by design, they'll take a bit more air to get the same volume.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHMy closed also seems to be very raspy compared to my opens.

Rasp in a call is a factor of a few different things. Some "tricks" to get more rasp out of your open reeds are to 1) flutter your tongue as you blow, 2) "growl" in your throat as you blow, 3) hum/grunt as you blow, and 4) lean on it a bit and throttle the exhaust to build pressure (Rudy's recommendations above). Putting that vibration on the air will put some rasp on your sound.

I've just recently started dabbling in the open reeds. They are so much more versatile. At times though I find it hard to reproduce the same sound, but I figure it gives it a more natural appeal. Nothing beats an electronic call for volume and ease of use though.

No way that e-call can produce even close to the same amount of emotion as hand calls, but they all have they're place. I always seem to call more in with them.

Originally Posted By: jrcampbellNo way that e-call can produce even close to the same amount of emotion as hand calls, but they all have they're place. I always seem to call more in with them.

It can if you record an MP3 of yourself playing a handcall!!!
tt2.gif

With the help of a forum member and a call maker i feel like i am getting the hang of the open reeds. And actually find myself prefering them vs. closed reeds. One open seems to make great bunny distress, pup distress, and howels pretty well too, just maybe not a dominant male.

Can you also mimick a fawn bleat using a good distress open reed?

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHCan you also mimick a fawn bleat using a good distress open reed?

Depends on the toneboard, but yes, open reed distress calls can play higher pitched deer and fawn bleats. Higher pitched distress toneboards may not be able to play that low, but many distress/howlers can. You may have to put the entire toneboard in your mouth on some.

Back