DIY gun rack for transporting

Xw00dsrac3rX

Heres a project I did today. I have found that its tough to keep the guns from getting banged around when hunting with a buddy and I wanted a better way to transport them.

Im not much into putting my hunting gun away in a case every time I do a set and get back into the truck to do the next either.

I bought a set of Kolpin rubber gun mounts for an ATV ($32 ebay) and some misc hardware and carpet covering.

Right now I tried my idea on just one set but drilled the holes for the 2nd. It works so well for me, Im adding the 2nd set this week.

Bear in mind, I know this wont work well for everyone because the back seat areas are all different but for my ram 1500 it works with the fold flat floor option very nicely.

Thanks. Its much easier than trying to get your scoped rifle with light on top, into one of those loose swinging fabric "racks" they sell. Plus, I just take this out when I take my gun inside the house and were right back to normal inside the truck.

I love seeing the DIY things people make so I try to share if I make something that actually works

Great application and well done...
thumbup1.gif
I think it could also be adapted for use in a normal car trunk on a full size vehicle....I use similar racks on a 3-gun range cart that I modified from a golf bag cart...Makes transporting three firearms and ammo/supplies around to the various stages much easier on the body...

Yes definitely can be used in trunk or even in truck bed (but I wouldnt keep my guns in open truck bed).

Two guns will fit very nicely side by side on this and it doesnt matter what way they go in, so thats nice for a passenger loading there gun.

Dimensions are 52" long X 12 wide. I used 3/4" oak plywood

Originally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rX
Two guns will fit very nicely side by side on this and it doesnt matter what way they go in, so thats nice for a passenger loading there gun.
Great idea. The only thing that would bother me is that whoever places their weapon in last or get's it out first will have a weapon pointed at them..........

I think the gun rack is great, but what is more impressive is how unbelievably clean your work bench is! T.V. and everything! My work bench cannot be found. Buried under hand tools, game calls, fletching jigs, antlers, gun caddy, etc. It's a nightmare. I envy your organization
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: harleybuilderGreat idea. The only thing that would bother me is that whoever places their weapon in last or get's it out first will have a weapon pointed at them..........

You are going to have that everytime you have multiple people in a vehicle. Even if you put them in a case it will be that way. Even if you put them in a trunk or the bed of a truck. At one time or another a RIFLE (not weapon) will pointed at someone. There is no way to keep it from happening 100% of the time. Safety is the key. Make sure it is not loaded when it is put back in the vehicle.

I have been thinking of a design for my 2010 Tundra Double cab. I like that idea, but I would want something I would be able to leave in the truck and not have to take it out when family wants to ride. But that does give me an idea

Depending on the height of the weapon, you could mount it in a truck box in the bed. That way it is protected from the elements and can be locked.

Great idea and build. I'm always struggling with how to haul in the back of the SUV.

I also suffer from a chaotic workbench. Someone should start a thread on man cave / work shop photos.

Quote:How are you going to shoot coyotes out the window, if you gun is in the back seat?...I suppose that if you are hunting out of a vehicle on private land, that might be legal in some places...It would just be strange to me..

The mounts that I have, have retention straps to keep the rifle from bouncing out and I'd be inclined to figure out a way to mount the base board vertically in a horizontal position so they would be more out of sight if left in the vehicle while unoccupied...Such as behind the rear seat, etc...I'm thinking more about the back of the rear seat in my Nissan Altima...It folds down from the rear door for access..

Yea I used the rubber straps the other night for the first time when I had two guns in and they were rock solid. I dont feel you need to use the straps when mounted this way but if used vertically, yes I would say its mandatory.

I added the 2nd set of mounts the other day.

It works great for loading two weapons in the rack.

Even with the light on top, slightly top heavy, its not going anywhere

Last edited:
Back