Dies for .223, 20 prac, 6x45

I don't know about the other 2, but for the 223 the Lee Collet Neck die w/ seater die set has worked great. They are inexpensive too!

If you were to just do 223 then get what ever. But with you doing 20pr then you will have to get the redding s-dies for the 223 with a 20 cal decaping pin and the right bushings to take the 223 down to 20. You will use the same seating die for both the 223 and the 20pr so all you will have to do is get a 223 full length sizing die and you will be done. Then you might as well get redding dies for the 6x45 and make sure that if you are going to shoot 75gr and small bullets out of the 6x45 that you have the longer seating stem for it so you can get them to mag length.

The calibers you listed can be done w/1 Redding type S bushing die.
You will just need bushings for each caliber of course and for the 20P & 6x45 2 bushings each for necking down/up in 2 steps.
You will need a 20cal decapping rod as stated above also.

Before I order Redding type S bushing dies I have a few questions

1.If I get the set with the competition seater can I use this seater for 6x45?

2.What bushing do I get for 6x45 if I'm using L.C. brass?

Originally Posted By: k9hunter2Before I order Redding type S bushing dies I have a few questions

1.If I get the set with the competition seater can I use this seater for 6x45?

2.What bushing do I get for 6x45 if I'm using L.C. brass?

No you can't use the comp seater. The necks are too big and it won't do well on the 20 either.

267-268 on the bushings.

I use comp seaters on the 20 and Hornady seaters with the micro tops on the others.

I'm against the one die does it all method for a couple reasons.

First, I wouldn't want to reset my die every time I put it in the press. Once mine are adjusted, I like to leave it alone. Resetting the die everytime you use it is going to lead to a mistake somewhere down the line and you will have a bunch of ammo loaded that you didn't size properly and can't close the bolt on... It happens!

Second, you have to buy the seaters anyways. At the cost of buying single seater dies you can usually buy the whole set for not much more money.

Using a single type s die and swapping out bushings and resetting it each time you use it is going to get old very fast. You need the seaters anyways.. Might as well buy the sets.

I'll edit to add,
The OP sounds as if he's relatively new to the hobby. Keeping it simple right now would be the best thing. A type s die and a handful of bushings is not it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FurhunterI'm against the one die does it all method for a couple reasons.

First, I wouldn't want to reset my die every time I put it in the press. Once mine are adjusted, I like to leave it alone. Resetting the die everytime you use it is going to lead to a mistake somewhere down the line and you will have a bunch of ammo loaded that you didn't size properly and can't close the bolt on... It happens!

Second, you have to buy the seaters anyways. At the cost of buying single seater dies you can usually buy the whole set for not much more money.

Using a single type s die and swapping out bushings and resetting it each time you use it is going to get old very fast. You need the seaters anyways.. Might as well buy the sets.

I'll edit to add,
The OP sounds as if he's relatively new to the hobby. Keeping it simple right now would be the best thing. A type s die and a handful of bushings is not it.

I use these wonderful little things called shims under my Type S die when I swap from one chambering sizing to another. No muss no fuss and no guess work. Lots of ways to skin those'cats.

The seaters are from sets of others dies I have bought. I've never had to buy a special seater for a given caliber. It seems that the common ones we are dealing with are two or three deep on my shelf so extra $$'s were not invested. With the micrometer topped Honady set up changing seating depht frpom one cartidge to another is pretty quick given the cases are relatively close in length.

Simple is good for starters but if one is venturing between from 20-6X45 in a post implies we are moving way past NEWBY status in a hurry..

Greg

Last edited:
Back