SAVAGE AXIS 223, 28 Jan 12 Range report pictures

Originally Posted By: compaq12 I am seeing this kinda reviews from all the axis. Great shooters from all the reads. I was considering a venture or axis. The axis is really looking good for the under 300$ price tag with these kind of groups.

Bought 1 in a 308 shoots as well as any custom I own.

I looked one over at Cabelas yesterday. Was worried about getting that heavy trigger worked on. What say you guys?

Originally Posted By: REDTAILCan you tell us how to do the lighter trigger job on the Axis without voiding the Warranty on it.?

Use a Gunsmith

Check with ernie the gunsmith,he makes lots of springs for guns and I mean lots of springs.Some guys claim you can put a bic pen spring in for a lighter trigger.I dont know personally but it is worth a try.

Thanks for posting this and just proving again that the best accuracy per $1 of cost award goes to the Savage Axis. The sad reality is that there are any number of rifles out there that cost hundreds more that will NEVER be able to shoot a sub-.5 inch group.

I'm taking my .22-250 Axis out for the first time this weekend.

Regarding the trigger mods, I did the mod to reduce the pull weight when I got my first Axis. The mod works, and I was able to get the pull down from over 7.46 average to a 3.72 average for 10 pulls. I did NOT attempt to take it down further as I feel this is unwise in a hunting rifle.

What I could NOT do with the mods and polishing is eliminate the creep. So I ended up dropping in a fully adjustable RifleBasix trigger for $89. 5 minutes installation and the trigger breaks like glass with no creep. Perfect.

I can't ask for more. I love the Axis because for Varmint rifles, I feel guilty burning up more expensive rifles shooting rodents. Why abuse rifles costing 2, 3, or more times the cost of the Axis when this kind of accuracy is on-tap for

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseThanks for posting this and just proving again that the best accuracy per $1 of cost award goes to the Savage Axis.

Is that counting the $89 you had to spend for a decent trigger
rolleyes.gif
Wow, we are just full of ridiculous comments today, now aren't we..........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseThanks for posting this and just proving again that the best accuracy per $1 of cost award goes to the Savage Axis.

Is that counting the $89 you had to spend for a decent trigger
rolleyes.gif
Wow, we are just full of ridiculous comments today, now aren't we..........

I bought my Savage Axis Stainless--repeat STAINLESS--on sale for $279 at Cabelas. Add $89 for the trigger (free shipping) and I have a stainless .22-250 for $368.

Please post a link to all other STAINLESS rifles you can find that sell for

You honestly have no idea how little I care. You are just another guy of many who buys cheap rifles and desperately wants them to compare favorably to better rifles. I know the type, trust me.

Nobody in their right mind would choose a Tikka over a Sako, for example, if everything in the world was free. However, there are many who would like us to believe that this is not the case.

I'm not a "rifle snob" nor do I feel you have to spend tons of money to get a good shooter. But there is a reason why a SS rifle only costs you $279. Maybe the $89 trigger replacement is a clue?

Making outlandish/ridiculous comments is not my strong suit. I will leave that up to you......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou honestly have no idea how little I care. You are just another guy of many who buys cheap rifles and desperately wants them to compare favorably to better rifles. I know the type, trust me.

Nobody in their right mind would choose a Tikka over a Sako, for example, if everything in the world was free. However, there are many who would like us to believe that this is not the case.

I'm not a "rifle snob" nor do I feel you have to spend tons of money to get a good shooter. But there is a reason why a SS rifle only costs you $279. Maybe the $89 trigger replacement is a clue?

Making outlandish/ridiculous comments is not my strong suit. I will leave that up to you......

Is that your long way of saying, "I made a stupid comment that I couldn't back up."?

Let me know if you need a light down there in that hole you just dug.
thumbup.gif

Still waiting for your list. Counting the $89 I spent on a trigger, I'm still waiting for you to show me the better choices in a stainless rifle that is cheaper than $368. C'mon big boy, let's see your list.

You seem to know everyone else is wrong, but then you have a lot of trouble proving yourself right.

Grouse

Last edited:
We have a savage model 14 and a Cooper both in 204 and yes the Savage will shoot good but the Cooper will shoot a tighter group any day and the Savage will not always eject the shell and other I know have the same problem ..

What the Axis didn't outshoot it? I'm shocked. Most accurate rifle made, or so I hear. And for your $279 it doesn't feed right either
blink.gif
Now I DEFINITELY need to go buy one. Should I pick up an $89 trigger as well?...
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunWhat the Axis didn't outshoot it? I'm shocked. Most accurate rifle made, or so I hear. And for your $279 it doesn't feed right either
blink.gif
Now I DEFINITELY need to go buy one. Should I pick up an $89 trigger as well?...
rolleyes.gif

C'mon there, 2MuchMouth. I'm still waiting for your list of guns that cost less and shoot better than the Axis.

Put up or shut up. You said I didn't know what I was talking about above. Time to prove that you actually know what YOU'RE talking about.

Where's that list? C'mon, at least give us a little preview of your top 5. That shouldn't be too hard for a know-it-all like you.

Waiting...

Grouse

So according to your logic, if I go buy a SS Rossi for $269 that makes IT the most accurate rifle dollar for dollar?
crazy.gif
Your comments defy logic.

What does stainless steel and cost have to do with you proving your ridiculous accuracy claim
blink.gif
? Oh, I know----NOTHING. Get a grip man .Collect yourself. What do you think if you throw enough ingredients into the pot I will forget what the original statement was? Sorry, not gonna happen.

EXACTLY WHAT proves the Axis is the most accurate in your mind? What? What proof do you have? Spill it.

You make stupid comments that can't be backed up, and then try to turn the tables by alluding to things that were never even said/discussed. In other words, dodging the bullet. Quit beating around the bush. You said the stupid $hit, not me.....

Back