Today was a good day......

Originally Posted By: obaroYou're a little late to the party, longhorns. Part of the reason he is getting busted on is for posting up about ammoscum in the reloading and ammo section. He was voicing his displeasure for people buying and reselling ammo at profit and was pretty adamant that such actions were 'scandalous' and the act of 'thieves'. Seems to be a pretty obvious case of situational ethics here by JoshuaN.

I'm not in charge of my BIL and my gun is definitely sighted in. Should we have sighted it in yes, but based on his point of aim and the resulting outcome, and his lack of questioning whether it's sighted in probably because he hit the dog where he was aiming it's his choice whether he wants to take the time to double check it.

Who gives a crap. How many hail mary shots have ya'll taken this year?? He is brand new and smokes one in mid-March with a mouth call no less. He is proud and deserves a pat on the back. I would have tripped it and stabbed it with a stick if that is all I had available.

Originally Posted By: littledawgWho gives a crap. How many hail mary shots have ya'll taken this year?? He is brand new and smokes one in mid-March with a mouth call no less. He is proud and deserves a pat on the back. I would have tripped it and stabbed it with a stick if that is all I had available.

If/When I take a hail mary, I at least have a good idea of where it's going. A pat on the back? Hardly. . .

Tripped and Stabbed it with a stick? I often wonder what goes through some peoples minds. I think you're making Chupa's point without even knowing it. As someone who cares about the sport aspect and ethics of predator hunting, nobody would have "a stick as the only thing available"; they would have a properly sighted in firearm.

Originally Posted By: littledawgWho gives a crap. How many hail mary shots have ya'll taken this year?? He is brand new and smokes one in mid-March with a mouth call no less. He is proud and deserves a pat on the back. I would have tripped it and stabbed it with a stick if that is all I had available.

+1, though I don't take hail Mary shots due to hunting in cow pastures. Coyotes are an invasive non-game species in Georgia. I kill every one I can. If I had the opportunity to shoot one with a new gun with the price tag still hanging off it, I'd do it.

JoshuaN, all I have to say is that somebody did a fine job boresighting that rifle. Congratulations.

Quote: he had just purchased a new scope the day before and hadn't shot a round to see if it was zeroed

Quote:It worked out and yes insanely lucky the scope was dead on!

My question is why would he think it might be zeroed, and how was he lucky enough that it was dead on?

Was it bore sighted, or just taken out of the box, mounted and taken to the field?

I have heard of people who have a scope mounted and bore sighted and think that is good enough for hunting. Those are the same people who usually shoot at and miss or wound their game.

Ok we all understand he shoulda made sure his freaking gun was sighted in!!!! Let it go and move on!!!! He was happy he finally killed something but im sure yall expert hunters have ruined it for him. Good God let the guy enjoy his kill without dogging him to death.....

Originally Posted By: ChupathingySo, it's ok to have no idea where your projectile is going? You're not responsible for it?
Chupa

Didn't I mention in the first line of my post I don't take hail Mary shots? You are making a fallacious argument by assuming the two extremes that people either know exactly where their bullet is going or have no idea. Unless you are capable of shooting a 0 MOA 20 shot group, you don't know EXACTLY where your bullet is going either. By contrast, the OP had a pretty dang good idea where that bullet was going if he aimed for the head and hit it in the head. Maybe it wasn't a PERFECT shot, but it was obviously good enough to get the job done, wasn't it?

If all your shots are PERFECT, let me know when your book is available on Amazon, because I'll be the first to buy it and learn your secrets.

This was a coyote, folks, not a bull elk. Lighten up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
This is why this is a hot button topic for me. Being that I used to work at a gun store, I've bore sighted about a billion scopes. On four seperate occasions I had customers return to the store livid with me because "I caused them to either miss or merely wound their trophy deer". Each time I asked them "Where was it printing when you zeroed it?". Without them having to say a word you could read the "Huh?" or "What?" on their face.

Moron wants to blame ME for their dumbarserry.

Chupa

For a game animal like a deer, my feelings would be different. For a coyote, I'm happy to run over one in my truck.

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
Irrelevant.

As a matter of fact, it is quite relevant. Coyotes are a non-game species. I have absolutely no ethics or morals when it comes to my attempts to exterminate them. If it isn't against the law, I'll try it. Faced with ANY chance to kill a coyote (ie with a bore sighted rifle) vs. ZERO chance to kill a coyote (having to miss an opportunity to hunt until I take the rifle to the range), I'll take the ANY chance option every time. The only reason I would not shoot with a boresighted-only rifle is because I hate to miss one. However, I'd rather gut shot one and lose it than not shoot one. A dead coyote is a dead coyote that won't be killing any more calfs.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyMy question still stands.

Is it ok to have no clue as to where your projectile is going?

Are you responsible for your projectile and its ultimate destination?

Chupa

You evidently missed my reply to your question. I copied it below.

Originally Posted By: KizmoDidn't I mention in the first line of my post I don't take hail Mary shots? You are making a fallacious argument by assuming the two extremes that people either know exactly where their bullet is going or have no idea. Unless you are capable of shooting a 0 MOA 20 shot group, you don't know EXACTLY where your bullet is going either. By contrast, the OP had a pretty dang good idea where that bullet was going if he aimed for the head and hit it in the head. Maybe it wasn't a PERFECT shot, but it was obviously good enough to get the job done, wasn't it?

If all your shots are PERFECT, let me know when your book is available on Amazon, because I'll be the first to buy it and learn your secrets.

This was a coyote, folks, not a bull elk. Lighten up.

Quote: however we just didn't get a chance before we went out ....First, you make your 'chances' to do things right when you are dealing with a deadly force tool...I don't care if it is a firearm, a bow, or a vehicle...Failure to do so is very irresponsible...

The fact that it turned out "Lucky" should cause you to be thankful that the bullet didn't miss and ricochet into something/someone more important than a Coyote that might have been over the next rise in the ground..

I've literally knocked recruit officers on their butts for unsafe range practices and I certainly wouldn't want to be around where you are shooting...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleThe fact that it turned out "Lucky" should cause you to be thankful that the bullet didn't miss and ricochet into something/someone more important than a Coyote that might have been over the next rise in the ground..

How many bullets have you recovered from coyotes you've shot? Not many, I expect. Most of they time the go right through. How often do you worry about that full penetration bullet going over the next rise and hitting something? If you did, you'd probably never shoot a yote with anything bigger than a .22.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI've literally knocked recruit officers on their butts for unsafe range practices and I certainly wouldn't want to be around where you are shooting...

Probably a whole lot more humans per square foot at the range than there are where they shot that coyote, and I would dare say that shooting a boresighted rifle doesn't constitute an "unsafe range practice". If it did, how the heck are you supposed ever to get one properly sighted in? You've got to shoot it somewhere, sometime. Some of you seem to think a boresighted rifle is as dangerous as a pound of C4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChupathingyA range is a controlled environment, berms or backstops. You can drive 150mph on a weekend warrior racetrack, but you can't do it on the freeway. There is a time and place for everything.
Chupa

So there was no backstop when he shot? You must have read something in the story that I didnt see. I do however see a hill there that is bigger than a lot of ranges have. When you miss and I am sure you do, you have no idea where your bullet actually ended up. I dont agree with taking a gun that is not sighted in but you are throwing way to much drama into it. You make it sound like he fired with a lot of people in front of him and put a lot of lives at risk.

Back