Browning High Power Sako Action Medium 243

FairChase93

A buddy of mine has asked me to start reloading for his old Browning Safari .243. Is anybody on here reloading for one? Looking for any helpful info. Anybody have a pet load for an older Browning that would be willing to share? This will mostly be a deer rifle with the occasional use as a coyote rifle. My personal rifle likes the 95 gr SST so I would like to start there.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93A buddy of mine has asked me to start reloading for his old Browning Safari .243. Is anybody on here reloading for one? Looking for any helpful info. Anybody have a pet load for an older Browning that would be willing to share? This will mostly be a deer rifle with the occasional use as a coyote rifle. My personal rifle likes the 95 gr SST so I would like to start there.

Loading for a Browning is no different than any other 243. Go to...

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

... and pick one.

I have loaded for multiple .243s and I realize that its a standard 243 just like any other. I geuss I should have been a little more clear. The biggest thing I need is twist rate. I know that in some older rifles slower twist rates were more common, or atleast that is my understanding. If it is a slower twist rate what bullets would be recommended. My 243 are both 1in 9 and definetly dont like anything below 87grs.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93I have loaded for multiple .243's and I realize that its a standard 243 just like any other. I guess I should have been a little more clear. The biggest thing I need is twist rate. I know that in some older rifles slower twist rates were more common, or at least that is my understanding. If it is a slower twist rate what bullets would be recommended. My 243 are both 1 in 9 and definitely don't like anything below 87grs.

The twist on the 243 has never been slower than 1:10, and most modern 243's are either 1:10", or 1:9-1/8"

If your having trouble with light bullets, it is not the twist that is the problem... a lot of guys shoot light bullets in 243's with fast twists.

Back