Cage Trapping Bobcats tips

Yes that is all I use, It took a couple of years to develop them, they are unique work well (for me) not sure about the others that have purchased them from me, I was hoping to see some comments or e mails from those that have them but haven't seen any as of yet.
Yes I sell them when I have extras laying around.
You can see them on my youtube videos under my name thinkinthebox!!

Here's a tip for you:

If your kids slept out on the trampoline this weekend forget about catching anything. Its just too dang warm. It has only froze one night this month.

This has been the warmest january I can ever recall. 2013 was the driest on record here. This drought is just killing us.

5 more days then I have to haul it all in.

ML

Mercer even though it has been very warm and dry don't the cats still have to hunt? I have only been averaging 1 cat a week all season long but have only caught 1 cat in the last 15 days. Could you explain your thoughts on why everything came to a screeching halt for the most of January. Most of the trappers I know have been struggling also lately!!

I st

I think the lack of snow in our area is increasing the travel of cats. Most years we have 3+ feet of snow on the ground, which somewhat limits how far the cats will go. They are not going to fight the snow. Warm temps also mean they don't have to eat as much.

However, this happens every year about this time. Cats get love on their mind. Any known travel patterns evaporate. If you set on a track, the cat may or may not come right back on it. When they do they may or may not be interested in what you have to offer. Lots of people I know pull out this time of year. If you stay with it fully stay in the game. By that I mean keep your traps fresh and working. Remember-persitance and patience.

Huntingal interesting!! makes sense. Last year at this time I got tired of no catches and was not as persistence as I should have been ( basically did exactly as you described). Last Wednesday I had a cat walk right by my set and never broke stride, walked 2 feet from front of cage. Persistance,persistance, persistence, I have no patience!!!!

Things slowed down this week for me, I was on a roll during the warm spell here then we were hit with below 0 and highs only at 20, I have always faired better here during warm dry winters, when it gets frigid I do not catch as much.
My Dad who traps 20 miles to the south of me is totally opposite he does better in the cold.
It just goes to show how knowing your area and cats habits in that area can help you make better decisions on whether to stay or not.
Mecer I hope that after you are done there you head north, the door is always open up here for you!!!

This thread can't die.

This past season I set up a new road. I love the fact that after 25 years rolling around out there you can still explore new areas. Even with all the road closures and wilderness there are still places I have never been right in my own backyard. So I scouted this road (about 9 miles) through some good looking stuff and it tied - in real nice with my "loop". Struggled finding any bobcat sign in Oct. and Nov. I still set it up. It just looked to good not to. Four traps for 12 days just to test the water. Caught a badger in one, nothing in two of them and in my best spot; a badger, gray fox and coyote. You can't catch what aint there.

Caught two coyotes this year. Cracks me up every time.

ML

Hey guys, I have a couple questions. FYI I am a noob.
smile.gif

1. How many cages are you guys running?

2. How much snow will a cat out up with. Will snow push them down into the valleys?

3. What is a call lure? And some examples.

Thanks in advance

Techy, nice to see a new face here!

I only ran 8 to 11 cages this year, I have run up to 30 on some years.

I have caught cats in 5ft of snow, but that was under bluffs where you can keep things working, my average snow depth is 1,5 to 2.5ft of snow with that I can keep cages working under trees and in brush but it is a ton of work digging them out after it snows!

A call lure is a very strong smelling scent that can be smelled by the animal from a long distance away, most have a lot of skunk essence in them.

Good to see you back Mercer, and keeping this thread alive, hope you had a good season!!!

So follow-up question. You still catch cats in some deep snow; do you think snow pushes most cats down in valleys toward less or no snow? Or do you think snow has no impact on them?

Do you only trap up in the snow?

Do you snowshoe?

Do you use guillotine traps OK in snow?

And when people cover traps, let's say guillotine style, with tarps do you only cover the top of the cage or up on to the top of the door to?

Sorry for all the questions
smile.gif

Cats go where there is food, I have trapped them up 8,000ft in elevation, and never saw them leave from the snow depth. Food has more impact than snow!

It snows where I live so I trap, whatever the weather brings, I do not move because of the snow!

I have snow shoed, but would rather not,

I have some guillotine style traps they work fine in snow.

I cover my traps on the top and sides to keep it working. The doors are not covered.

Thanks for all the info. Man I can't wait to start trapping this year. I have always wanted to try it. I will probably be back with more questions sooner or later, lol

Last edited:
Here is an example of patience and persistence. I set a trap in a "catty" location around the first of January. I didn't see any real cat sign, it just looked good.

I had a small cat, probably YOY in and out of the trap within the first week. It never stepped on the pan.
Then for the next 2 months-nothing-but I kept the cage looking and smelling good.

The last day of the season called for a big storm, and I didn't want to fight the rain and mud, so I was picking up traps a day early. I got to this last trap-the last of the season- and low and behold, I had a cat!

She was an adult, and very nicely spotted, but she was worth more to me raising more kittens than on a stretcher, so I let her go.

This trap could just as easily held a big tom-patience and persistence- till the end.

Huntingal I can see you and I run about the same on our trap line.
Patience, persistence is big if you trap snow and cold.
If you don't have those you are in for a lot of work moving things that may not need to be.
I like the pictures one day I need to get my act together and post a few!

Teach you how to play golf? I don't think 10 handicaps are supposed to give golf lessons.

I was just checking my work schedule and it looks like I am off the week of the CO convention.
Might end up going to that one for the first time. A long haul but might be worth it. Golf, prairie dogs, trapping convention. Swing by Cortez and pick up huntingal and her calling rifle on the way east. Make a few stands along the way. Sounds like a heck of a week.

ML

Back