Still after them?

nyttrain5150

It's been a few weeks since I've been out doing any calling. It's killing me, seems like everything I'm doing is related to coyotes in some way shape or form. From reading books, forums, magazines, to downloading a couple new "sound packs" and reorganizing my call list. How many of you guys are still after them, how many have laid off for breeding season?

Last edited:
I took my son out yesterday. Didn't see anything, 3 sets. But we got to practice some more. I let him take his toy gun after we put some camo tape on it.

If I see one while driving around, but otherwise it is too muddy to go out and call in most areas. Come on spring, time to start working ground for new food plots for deer.

I couldn't handle it anymore, I grabbed the kids and took them both out to a little wooded area on the outskirts of town! We didn't hear anything let alone see anything but I think it helped me a bit. This is the second time out for my daughter (9) and first time for my youngest son (3).
I've seen two in the last month while at work (midday). Both right on the edge of town & loners, one was mangy as could be. Last Sunday I loaded up the whole family and we drove 126 miles according to the odometer. I'd bet only 10 miles were paved. Every 3/4 of a mile I found myself dreaming about how I would approach and call from.

Last edited:
I called the kid and told him I was going to hunt a week ago Sunday then hang it up until fall. He was unable to make it Sunday morning so I went myself. Made two stands killed one right at daylight, nothing on the second stand. He called at noon and said he was coming in the afternoon and bringing a new gun he had picked up for me in the city. He mounted a scope and sighted it in for me while I finished my honey do list then I put a few rounds through it and we made a stand right before sundown. I was around a corner covering the downwind and watching one mosey our way from 800 yds. when I heard him woof. I looked over my shoulder just in time to see him drop 1 of 4 about 70 yds. South. They left with the afterburners on and we came up empty on the rest. 5 on the last stand makes it hard to hang em up but we'll end on a high note.

Nyttrain PM sent.

we don't have hardly any coyotes but still calling in reds left and right. I am so tired of shooting reds I would give anything to have more predators

Have not hunted them in a couple of seasons 40 yrs construction has taken its toll on my low back and the snow is deep here.
They have been getting bold and coming right up to the house at night.So I've been keeping the mini 14 and a mag of hand loaded
Hornady 55 gr sp next to the patio door.Had one walk out on my rifle range at last light Friday about 175 yrd's from the house, That one wont be back.Straped on the snow shoes in the morning
to go collect it up I should have brought my rifle instead of my carry 1911.There was a large I assume male chewing the heck out of it,It bolted when I was 100 yds out.Thats something I've not seen before

Still going strong here on the Westside of Oregon. Now is the time people want me to start hunting before the dawns start to drop.

Still going strong here on the Westside of Oregon. Now is the time people want me to start hunting before the dawns start to drop.

Killed one Sat. night & have been hearing more the last 2-3 weeks than I have all winter.I usually hunt 3-5 nights a week for 4-8 hours & have had very little luck seeing or hearing them this winter!?

I will stay at them 2-3 more weeks.

Back