new pups showing potential

doggdown

well I have been looking and researching for quite some time. he is a Louisiana leopard Catahoula. up here in ND decoying isn't even a thing yet with most people being clueless to what it is.finding a dog near was next to impossible too so I paid a bit more flying a pup in. he came from texas and had literally 0 hunting background so I have my work cut out for me here is a few pics his name is Kota

short vid

Good luck with him.

Quite a few guys decoy in ND and have for the last 50 or more years.

I've run decoy dogs in ND for the last 20 myself and I'm far from alone.

IMO ND is not what it once was. I used to own a place just south of Watford City on the edge of the badlands and it was a true paradise until the oil boom. I would have an assortment of hunters stay there on and off during the fur season but the truck traffic and just the whole atmosphere of it changed. I ended up selling all of the spread a few years back when prices and truck traffic went throught the roof. Boom is good for making money but bad for hunting. Still lots of coyotes around but lots of road hunters also.

I still run dens on about 20 ranches in ND each spring but I do little fur hunting there anymore.

Keep us posted on how the dog turns out.

Tim

That's pretty crazy there's that many and none of us guys have heard or talk to any that decoy. Few that run them but that's it. I hunt private land mostly in the s.e and s.c part of the state. No oil areas for me

Old Kota is one unique marked pup. Good luck with him. A friend of mine has a Border Collie x Catahoula that is the smartest dog I have ever seen.

I guess I'm speechless to say we have been hinting for 15 years...tournaments included and never ran into or even heard of a single guy using decoys. Either way I'm more than excited withthe dog and its new to me. II'm willing to put countless hours to train him and put him in front of dogs. Any tips are appreciated

Great looking dog. I had one pup that i had trained enough at a yar old, to hunt, and lost in a divorce this last fall..
I would strongly suggest the video called Coyote Dogs 101 from a group out of Oreagon. They were very helpful at explaining the steps to training, and easy to follow.

I am sure there are other video's, and better too, but i liked this one.

I would also suggest getting and saving some tails, and ask your buddies to skin the tails off the ones they shoot if they are not skinning them either. My pup would tear them up, and she was fairly good at figuring out a way to get them, even when I thought they were out of reach.

tbonez I actually have a few tails he drags around the house now. also have some tanned pieces he enjoys chewing on. I will deff look into those vids I need all the help I can get.

cedarcreek is it common for whiter dogs to be deaf? I have noticed he hasn't came or sometimes even looked when I whistle or squeak a toy. I just thought it was him being a pup and not knowing the sounds... ive only had him since Friday so 6 days

Pretty dog, that white head scares me though. although the best Catahoula hog dog I ever seen was deaf.

In that breed an all white head can mean deaf or blind or both. Hopefully neither in this case

ha, well I didn't care about anything else, but the dog made me mad as [beeep]..

As for the chasing the tail around use the fishing rod, or stick trick.. Tie it with some rope (about 5 feet) to a stick and then think about the command you want to use to tell the dog to look for coyotes and say that as he chases it. Lots of praise. They will get fast and it's a good way to excercise the pup, so they sleep, when they are young, and helps them learn to stop, lunge, and just be fast on their feet.
I would also hide the tail in the yard somewhere, give another command.. ( drag it around and then stuff it into something) and let them find it. good game to play, and lets them learn to find coyotes, great for when you start taking them hunting. Letting them find the dead ones saved me a lot of time. I would also shoot to get a runner. I know some don't like that, but I was training that dog, and it's better training to not always have a dead right there.

I would look for a collar now, so they get used to it.. (get the one that vibrates not beep) then as you play, and train to heel, and come, use the vibrate button at the same time. That blows the minds of people at the dog park.. When the dogs are wrestling and running, you just push the vibrate button and the dog comes right back. You don't look like the moron chasing their dog. It's good to let them run off and play and wrestle, give them a few minutes, and then hit the button to have them come back. Before long she would stand near me, then chase after the other dogs, and wrestle, then come back to me with no input. (perfect) Another reason for the dog park at least once or twice a week was to practice wrestling, wear them out, and get used to not biting domestic dogs. She did get rough on a German Sheperd once (It looked like a coyote to me too)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jglynnTBone, you are a better man than me. I would cut my dog's throat before i let my ex wife have him.

The good news is that we have kids that are about to start hunting coyotes with me.. I keep feeding the kids tips on traing the dog, and they are working with the dog, and when they start hunting I will tell them they should bring their dog.. lol
It might just work out where i can bring the kids hunting and hunt with the dog, but they take care of it the rest of the time..
Fingers crossed.

Back