Conn. officials tell gun owners to relinquish or destroy banned assault weapons

hm1996

Staff member

Quote:Conn. officials tell gun owners to relinquish or destroy banned assault weapons

Published March 15, 2014 / Associated PressHARTFORD, Conn. –

Connecticut officials are urging owners of now-illegal assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines to relinquish them to the police or make them permanently inoperable.

The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection announced Friday it had sent a letter to owners who had failed to register the items by a Jan. 1 deadline, part of last year's gun control law. Officials offered advice on what to do now with the weapons and magazines.

The letter says gun owners are in compliance with the new state law if their items are no longer in Connecticut or were sold to an authorized gun dealer.

Those who fail to comply face charges of possessing an unregistered assault weapon and/or high capacity magazine.

Commissioner Dora Schriro denied rumors DESPP is confiscating weapons.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/15/con...tcmp=latestnews

Regards,
hm

Strongly worded letters. They don't make Obama stronger, what makes these rogue lawmakers think they'll work with actual law-abiding citizens who only wish to exercise their inalienable rights.

Quote:The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection announced Friday it had sent a letter to owners who had failed to register the items by a Jan. 1 deadline, part of last year's gun control law.

How does Connecticut know who to send these letters to?

Quote:How does Connecticut know who to send these letters to?...An excellent basic question...Either the local FFLs are in bed with the authorities, have been coerced into providing copies of 4473 forms and supporting ledgers (most likely), or they have been practicing the habits of Hitler and Stalin by sending out their 'spies' to various gun ranges and clubs...It doesn't take much effort to watch and record vehicle license numbers...

Let's face it, when you are contacted 'out of the blue' by an agency of authority advising you that you are in jeopardy of being the subject of a penalty in any form, you can become very paranoid and compliant overnight...

Due to the limited number of 'on file' registrations that have taken place, I would assume that they were done by the citizen owners that think they are doing the 'right thing' and are afraid of the future penalties for non compliance...Probably Liberal leaning and not aware of the history of the United States and the purpose behind the Bill of Rights...

Originally Posted By: Osti Quote:The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection announced Friday it had sent a letter to owners who had failed to register the items by a Jan. 1 deadline, part of last year's gun control law.

Many individuals began the process of registering and giving up the guns or magazines but then quit. These are the ones who are getting letters according to the NRA.

When Janet Reno left office she let the cat out of the bag saying that she was keeping a data base of gun owners using the background check system. When John Ashcroft took her place he destroyed the data base.

Here in Oregon our state Attorney General said that he is also keeping a data base. Totally lawless.

Quote:Either the local FFLs are in bed with the authorities, have been coerced into providing copies of 4473 forms and supporting ledgers (most likely), or they have been practicing the habits of Hitler and Stalin by sending out their 'spies' to various gun ranges and clubs

No way! The only FFLs that would give up their info to the state would maybe be the corporate big box retailers. Most FFLs are Ultra Pro 2A and some of the mom & pop FFLs are Anti Gov everything and would NEVER comply to such a request. If Conn. was strong arming FFLs we would of heard about it pretty quick. The Govenor of Conn. sending out spies to all the gun ranges is ridiculous. Besides being expensive and very time consuming, it would only produce a limited list as not all gun owners go to gun ranges.

IMO, either it is not being reported correctly or the state in misrepresenting what they are telling reporters. ie. the list is actually people that purchased any gun hunting liceses in the last so many years. Or, the state is keeping data on people everytime the FBI accesses the states records when they do background checks. ie. checking for pending cases, restraining orders, etc.

The people of Conn. need to be asking how this list was obtained.

Is there any members from Conn. that can shed more light on this? Information needed.

The State of Connecticut does not have the power to disarm their citizens. This is the number one issue. They are "claiming" to have that power.

Taken from: http://www.sheriffs.org/content/faq

"5. Are there states that do not have Sheriff's Offices?

Connecticut. Sheriffs have been replaced with a State Marshall system."

Interestingly enough, there are no Sheriffs to step in. This is by design - that is my humble opinion.

So, referring back to the Tenth Amendment:

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Note - "or to the people."

And now the Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Note - "Shall NOT be infringed."

In this country criminals are arrested. Violations of the Constitution are Federal Crimes. -This is also my humble opinion.

Last edited:
I was told that when you buy a gun and call the state for a background check that they keep none of that info. If that is so why would the state ask the make, model, serial, cal, pistol, rifle, shotgun ect. So they can tell that the new gun I am buying out of a gun shop is not stolen? What would the make of gun I am buying have to do with my background or criminal record. I have never believed that those records are not kept. How does the police trace a gun found at a crime location. Do they have to go to every gun shop till they find the one who sold it to start with. Do they go by factory shipping records to find the shop. I guess if it uhhh walks annnnd uhhh has feathers annnnd quacks like uhhhhh a duck annnnnnd it is a goose take uhhhhh my word for it because I would uhhhhh never uhhhh annnnd annnnd mislead the American people.

Firearms that are recovered at a crime scene or have been reported stolen are turned into the information center of the BATF where the item is traced through the Manufacturer, to the Distributor, to the Retail point of sale...That's been a standard procedure for as long as I can remember...

Missouri used to require a Sheriff's Permit to Purchase for the transfer of handguns, but that was eliminated several years ago and there is no registration of any purchase by type or serial number outside of the 4473 form physically on file at the FFL in the state...The NICS check is for individual by name and date of birth with the dealer's identification number...

Originally Posted By: Osti Quote:The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection announced Friday it had sent a letter to owners who had failed to register the items by a Jan. 1 deadline, part of last year's gun control law.

Letters only went out to those who registered late, or filed an incomplete registration. It is estimated by state officials that there are somewhere between 50,000 and 300,000 unregistered assault weapons in Connecticut, that still aren't registered.

Originally Posted By: Tonester Connecticut. Sheriffs have been replaced with a State Marshall system."

Interestingly enough, there are no Sheriffs to step in. This is by design - that is my humble opinion.

250 Connecticut State Police have issued notice to the lawmakers that they will not take part in confiscating weapons, stating the lawmakers' request is a direct violation of the citizens' first amendment rights.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistI was told that when you buy a gun and call the state for a background check that they keep none of that info. If that is so why would the state ask the make, model, serial, cal, pistol, rifle, shotgun ect. So they can tell that the new gun I am buying out of a gun shop is not stolen? What would the make of gun I am buying have to do with my background or criminal record. I have never believed that those records are not kept. How does the police trace a gun found at a crime location. Do they have to go to every gun shop till they find the one who sold it to start with. Do they go by factory shipping records to find the shop. I guess if it uhhh walks annnnd uhhh has feathers annnnd quacks like uhhhhh a duck annnnnnd it is a goose take uhhhhh my word for it because I would uhhhhh never uhhhh annnnd annnnd mislead the American people.

They supposedly track serial number from manufacturer to point of delivery, there they review the dealers records to determine when the gun left their shelf, and then refer to the dealer's copies of the BATFE Form 4473 for that date to determine who purchased the gun.

OK I understand about tracking from manufactor. I worked in a gun shop between jobs for a few months and when I called in to the state they asked for all the info I described. Do they not ask those same questions in your state?

Honestly don't know, I know it's on the form 4473, but I do believe question over the phone for approval is supposed to be limited to pistol or long arm, as qualifications are different for the 2. Long arm you can purchase at 18, most if not all states require 21 on pistol. So that would be a legitimate question. Make, model, caliber, and serial number should not be asked over the phone, as far as I know.

I call BS that the government doesn't keep info on who purchases what gun. They seem to have no problem in proving what guns you've bought, right down to the make and model.

Ok I thought that the FFL holder (gun salesman) had to keep his books up to date from the past 10 years. So that if there was a crime they could get the serial number off the weapon used and find out where that gun was sold and who was the person who purchased it. If that is all true it would be an easy way for them to figure out who all has firearms in the state. I believe though the FFL holder only has to show the books if there is a warrant. Now this may all be untrue. I dont know for sure but that is how I always understood it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Aren't cops sworn to uphold the constitution and Bill of Rights? If they say that they will help confiscate then they need canned for breaking the oath!

Last edited:
That's a good one! Look at how many cops are criminals now. Most big cities are run by police forces with extensive records of police criminality.

Quote:That's a good one! Look at how many cops are criminals now. Most big cities are run by police forces with extensive records of police criminality.....Snaggletoof,,,I would seriously challenge you to produce the specific facts on that statement...While there may be a couple that slip through background checks and I have a much lower opinion of current hiring practices/standards, that is one that is still pretty consistent...The biggest problem is when one is under a forced resignation for some reason and is then hired by another department because the first one was not open about the reason for the resignation/termination...

Back