Any Leupold guys replace their TMRs with TMOAs yet?

Smokin Barrel

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet? Saw the TMOA is available in the new VX6 and didn't know if the custom shop was swapping them yet. I have several TMRs that I will be doing sometime.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhIs it on vx6 only or can they put one in a vx3?

Yes and the old vx111's and mark 4's mine are 10 plus old and they told me I can have it done

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: Anton ChigurhIs it on vx6 only or can they put one in a vx3?

Yes and the old vx111's and mark 4's mine are 10 plus old and they told me I can have it done

Well that is weird. After a couple days, I got this response from Leupold CS yesterday......Wonder which it is.

Originally Posted By: My Question Submitted Is the custom shop able to switch out TMR reticles for the new TMOA reticle? Also, does the TMOA reticle require a 30mm tube to be installed

And their reply was this.....

Originally Posted By: Leupold's Response No sir, currently the TMOA is only available for the VX-6 4-24. We do offer a new MOA reticle called the TS-32 for our 4.5-14 and soon to be 6.5-20 scopes. I have included a PDF format drawing with subtensions of the TS-32 to this email.

Here is the new reticle. Interesting, but not what I am looking for.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has any bearing but...

According to Leupolds site. The VX 6 in 4-24 has a 34mm tube where as the rest of them are on 30 mm tubes. That might be why you can only get it in the 4-24. Just something I noticed.

I've found myself moving on to mil based scopes as of late. Seems everything has kinda gone that direction anyways. I've been an MOA guy since time amd memorial. I feel like one of the last holdouts with everything mil based so I'm now learning the other system.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI don't know if this has any bearing but...

According to Leupolds site. The VX 6 in 4-24 has a 34mm tube where as the rest of them are on 30 mm tubes. That might be why you can only get it in the 4-24. Just something I noticed.

I've found myself moving on to mil based scopes as of late. Seems everything has kinda gone that direction anyways. I've been an MOA guy since time amd memorial. I feel like one of the last holdouts with everything mil based so I'm now learning the other system.

Thanks FH. That would certainly make sense, but then again this isn't the first time I have gotten inconsistent info from Leupold CS.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterI don't know if this has any bearing but...

I like the TMR reticle in my mark AR. I thought for a second about putting it in a vx3 cds and trying to have a dial cut, but I don't know how you'd adapt the dial back to an acceptable mil adjustment. And I'm not sure if I even could, may only could do a mil dot reticle.

Last edited:
I called and talked with them a couple of weeks ago and gave them my serial numbers off my scopes. A mark 4 4.5x40 with a 30 mm tube and a vx111 4.5x14 tactical with a 1" tube. They told me I could have tmoa installed in both for $160 ea

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurh

I like the TMR reticle in my mark AR. I thought for a second about putting it in a vx3 cds and trying to have a dial cut, but I don't know how you'd adapt the dial back to an acceptable mil adjustment. And I'm not sure if I even could, may only could do a mil dot reticle.

Ranging in Mils and adjusting in MOA can be done, your drop chart is just MOA based. I've even ignored the reticle all together because to me it just feels like a hodge podge of mix and match when you have a mil based reticle and MOA turrets. It feels like you need 2 or 3 different charts taped to the scope, one that's reticle based for mil hold over, wind etc. and the other one MOA for drops. Then ya gotta pay attention to what power the scope is set on etc... Which is why I was so adverse to it and held out this long to make the switch to all Mils. ( and I hate the metric system too
grin.gif
) I can say having a mil reticle and mil turrets is nice, having those in a FFP scope is even better.

The hard part now is deciding on switching all the scopes over to this system or keep a couple of the MOA scopes I have. I hate to part with some of them but....

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Ranging in Mils and adjusting in MOA can be done, your drop chart is just MOA based. I've even ignored the reticle all together because to me it just feels like a hodge podge of mix and match when you have a mil based reticle and MOA turrets. It feels like you need 2 or 3 different charts taped to the scope, one that's reticle based for mil hold over, wind etc. and the other one MOA for drops. Then ya gotta pay attention to what power the scope is set on etc... Which is why I was so adverse to it and held out this long to make the switch to all Mils. ( and I hate the metric system too
grin.gif
) I can say having a mil reticle and mil turrets is nice, having those in a FFP scope is even better.

The hard part now is deciding on switching all the scopes over to this system or keep a couple of the MOA scopes I have. I hate to part with some of them but....

FH, everyone knows mils got nothin' to do with the metic system, it stands for military...

And mixing turrets always sounded like a confusing mess to me, I guess you're confirming that. I think I'll not..

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhOriginally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: Anton Chigurh

grin.gif

FH, everyone knows mils got nothin' to do with the metic system, it stands for military...

And mixing turrets always sounded like a confusing mess to me, I guess you're confirming that. I think I'll not..

Actually its milradian but developed by the military so some think its military.. And by metric I mean measuring by meters or using 1cm clicks like on some of the Bender scopes. 1cm is really close to a .1 milrad but it gets you to have to think that way anyhow. Then we mix in all the other crap to remember and well.... It might as well be French... Its just something I've stayed away from till now.

I knew I should've use an emoticon. I was kidding about mil=military. I watched a good video recently where a former military sniper, Ryan Klecko (sp?) I think his name was, gave a very good 10 min educational video on using milradian reticles. He mentioned how everyone thinks mil means military.

I think the only correlation between milradians and the metric system is they're both based on units of 10.

Trust me, you will never be the LAST holdout
grin.gif
I've no need for mils, nor will I ever. The whole "hunters going tactical" thing is quite amusing to watch though.

I hunt with duplexes, or variations thereof. Even shoot LR with some. Have a couple of MOA reticles for LR, F-class and such.

Mixing mils/MOA was laughable from the start. Hard to believe companies did it. Harder to believe shooters bought it.....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunTrust me, you will never be the LAST holdout
grin.gif
I've no need for mils, nor will I ever. The whole "hunters going tactical" thing is quite amusing to watch though.

2mg,
you're one of the sharpest guys on here and I agree with you about 97.64% of the time, but I got one thing to say about that statement:

"A wise man's mind changes, but a fool's never does."

lol.gif

But, I am glad to see that the folks that don't subscribe to your narrow-minded view of the shooting world amuse you so much.
I really hate to bust your dang bubble, but sometimes you really ain't the sharpest pencil in the box.
thumbup1.gif

I don't get out to see other scopes/ret's in action much. So can you guys tell me why there is mismatched ret/turrets, like MOA/Mil ?

I'm liking Duplex for hunting and the NP-R1 for my longer varmint stuff. Holding for wind seems to work for me.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI don't get out to see other scopes/ret's in action much. So can you guys tell me why there is mismatched ret/turrets, like MOA/Mil ?

I'm liking Duplex for hunting and the NP-R1 for my longer varmint stuff. Holding for wind seems to work for me.

Tim.

Just my own thoughts here, don't confuse this as some sort of history lesson.

We've always had MOA based turrets, wether they be 1/2-1/4 or 1/8 clicks. Then the mildot reticle comes along and everyone in the free world started putting it in their scopes with the same MOA turrets. The general idea was the reticle is supposed to used for ranging and then the turrets come into play for elevation adjustments. There's nothing wrong with it, its very effective and It works as good today as it did then. There's lots of good scopes out there yet that still use this arrangement though they are becoming more rare and ultimately someday... will probably be obsolete if some havnt already considered them as such.

Enter some of the latest mil based reticles. Someone, somewhere has the bright idea that if the turrets had clicks that coincided with the lines on the reticle it would be easier to use and they were right. Its a lot easier to get 3.8 with .10 clicks than it is 1/4 MOA clicks. Wrap all that up into a FFP scope with matching mil reticle/turrets and if you close your eyes and listen.. you can hear the angels singing in the background.
grin.gif

There's lots of scopes coming out with the option of .10 mil clicks now. I see Leupold offers more all the time.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI don't get out to see other scopes/ret's in action much. So can you guys tell me why there is mismatched ret/turrets, like MOA/Mil ?

Tim.

Just my own thoughts here, don't confuse this as some sort of history lesson.

We've always had MOA based turrets, wether they be 1/2-1/4 or 1/8 clicks. Then the mildot reticle comes along and everyone in the free world started putting it in their scopes with the same MOA turrets. The general idea was the reticle is supposed to used for ranging and then the turrets come into play for elevation adjustments. There's nothing wrong with it, its very effective and It works as good today as it did then. There's lots of good scopes out there yet that still use this arrangement though they are becoming more rare and ultimately someday... will probably be obsolete if some havnt already considered them as such.

Enter some of the latest mil based reticles. Someone, somewhere has the bright idea that if the turrets had clicks that coincided with the lines on the reticle it would be easier to use and they were right. Its a lot easier to get 3.8 with .10 clicks than it is 1/4 MOA clicks. Wrap all that up into a FFP scope with matching mil reticle/turrets and if you close your eyes and listen.. you can hear the angels singing in the background.
grin.gif

There's lots of scopes coming out with the option of .10 mil clicks now. I see Leupold offers more all the time.

I believe matching turrets and reticle is just common sense. One of those "duh" concepts that should have been done that way from the start.

I read a lot on internet forums about optics. Been paying attention to all of those that have more experience than I on the subject. Learned a lot.

Folks talk about using the reticle to range objects. 99.9% of us will never use the reticle to range objects. It's a perishable skill that has to be learned. Most guys will use the fancy reticles for holdovers, windage, or seeing about how much they need to make an adjustment on a missed shot.

Not to mention most of us, except me, have a laser rangefinder.

Again, I believe matching turrets and reticles is basic fundamentals. Like having the same size tires on your truck.

However, I am also with 2MG on this. I am beyond tired of seeing every Ricky Redneck hunter trying to be a Seal Team Sniper.

I've been a sniper since the age of 7. Just ask all the living relatives of birds, squirrels, and rabbits on my dad's farm!

Last edited:
Back