Ohio Roll Call

Seen one yesterday afternoon in a field a mile away from my house, suprised again it was broad daylight( about 4PM) he was just wondering around, even looked to be playing at times, had time to run home get my Son and go back over there so he could see him.

Went out Saturday night. Way too loud to be walking in this snow. Didn't have any responces except for a skunk. I have to admit. He was about 5 yards and I ran like a little girl!lol
scared.gif
A friend has killed a couple over a carcus bait. another friend had 270 pic on his trail cam in 3 days of all coyotes on a bait. Need to let this ice melt before I really get out more.
Logger, you know one of my long time hunting buddies. Sam Wiget. We have been great friends and hunting buddies since school. We have a lot fun hunting over the years. Some real good stories too.
I have watched that video of the so called "Mountain Lion" on the news. It is not a coyote. ODNR should know better. It is a large house cat. The head is round and no snout. It doesn't have a neck either. Body language is of a cat. At first the Chief of ODNR said Bobcat. No way! While the comparison of the woman shows it is a good sized cat, it is still a house cat. Probably spayed or neutered too. Big belly. Cats will get that big. I had a cat that was every bit that big. That's why his name was "Puppy". He was big enough to get anything off the kitchen counters without leaving the ground. Dumber than a rock. I thing all his growth went to his body and just forgot about his brain!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrWent out Saturday night. Way too loud to be walking in this snow. Didn't have any responces except for a skunk. I have to admit. He was about 5 yards and I ran like a little girl!lol
scared.gif
A friend has killed a couple over a carcus bait. another friend had 270 pic on his trail cam in 3 days of all coyotes on a bait. Need to let this ice melt before I really get out more.
Logger, you know one of my long time hunting buddies. Sam Wiget. We have been great friends and hunting buddies since school. We have a lot fun hunting over the years. Some real good stories too.
I have watched that video of the so called "Mountain Lion" on the news. It is not a coyote. ODNR should know better. It is a large house cat. The head is round and no snout. It doesn't have a neck either. Body language is of a cat. At first the Chief of ODNR said Bobcat. No way! While the comparison of the woman shows it is a good sized cat, it is still a house cat. Probably spayed or neutered too. Big belly. Cats will get that big. I had a cat that was every bit that big. That's why his name was "Puppy". He was big enough to get anything off the kitchen counters without leaving the ground. Dumber than a rock. I thing all his growth went to his body and just forgot about his brain! my son and Conner are good friends. I've known Sam for sometime now, he's a deer huntin fool. That video in Canal surely is a house cat. It looks bigger, it's just the way the trail cam is placed low to the ground, then the big bellied cat walk right in front of it is quite deceaving.

^^^^^ I'm like you, I'm not goin out till the snow leaves. I hunted several nights last week or 2 and it's like walking on corn flakes. Everywhere I've been, there's tracks like travel highways but no takers to my calling! Things will get better here soon, mommy will be getting hungry carrying her litter.

Last edited:
I'm longing to see a blade of grass! Lol. I believe they said snow has covered the ground for over 30 days now.

Now when it hits the 60's this week and rains and my basement floods I will hate snow that much more!

Anyone been out lately? This weather is wild. 10" of snow. 60 degree temps. Now snow this morning? Only in Ohio!! Now there a bunch of folks hitting the areas for shed antlers. Not helping matters for those that hunt in the daylight hours

I was lookin on page 2. Seen no1 was posting, so I thought I'd bring'er back up to the top and she was already there! Made 2 stands last night. Got a Lil out going and thought I'd back door the coyotes that keep back dooring me at 1 of my honey holes. So was was walking through a corn field along an ole fence row, not paying much attention, just trying to walk softly on the wide speed corn flakes, and within in ten yards in front of me 1 takes off haulin tail. No way I could get a shot, hands were full and gun on my shoulder sling. When I scanned the field with my FLIR that's what I did "scanned the field".... Didn't look up the fence row. He ran out bout 300-400 yards and sat down with 2 other buddy's. A total of 3, Lil to far of a shot with a laser. We watched for bout 30 min and left the busted stand.
Stand # 2 was at a place I call the canal. It's just rolling hills, but has a long drainage ditch that farmers for miles run their field tile to. We just walked up and over a Lil rolling hill to over look a big cornfield with couple fence rows. Scanned the field with the FLIR , there was something giving off a heat signature, but wasn't sure what it was. I dialed down the dbal illuminator nice and tight, and brought the 3x maginfier. Sure enuff 1 mousing. I watched him for about 45 min and that critter didn't move 20 yards. He was digging something. I hit the call a couple times. He looked up but wasn't interested and kept digging around. I let 1 fly about 350-400 yards with no connection.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I hunt southwest Ohio, Greene county. More snow Saturday. Dang!!!

In my area they were originally calling for 6-10 inches, then they changed it to 3-6", now it says 1-3". Who knows what we'll get. I honestly just hope we don't get freezing rain/ice.

Located in Jackson County. I been at this for a little while now and have yet to kill my first dog. I have called them in very close but no cigar yet. I'd really like to hook up with some others to see if I can maybe learn anything.

Bucyrus, OH Crawford Co checking in. Pretty new to PM there is a lot of great info. I have quite a bit of private land but was wondering about Killdeer plains.

I have lived and hunted aroung Killdeer Plains for 30+ years. It's a great looking area but the problem (not really a problem) that there are two groups of guys, a lot of them local farmers who hunt coyote's with dogs everytime it snows until the snow is gone. AND they know what they are doing!!! They usually kill 100+ dogs but had a down year two years ago and only got 77. I have really saw this impact the overall number of coyote's in the area, but I don't mind. I still hunt up there on occasion because I have 1000's of acres of land locked up if not for that I would avoid it all together and just let those boys keep them in check.

Found some fresh bait so I think I'm gonna try some baiting. I'm planning on just stepping out of the shop and layin the smack down @ bout 150 yards. Already have a shooting lane cleared. I'll be updating you prolly first of the week.

Back